Thread: Assignment 3 - Video Immersion

FrostySOTF's Avatar Ice in My Veins
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Assignment 3 - Video Immersion

This week since some of you are struggling coming up with things to write about I want you to pick a character from this video and take them through the entire video, providing as many details as possible and creating good immersion and atmosphere, go through every detail of what happened, like if they aren't in a scene but should know what's happening/hear anything then add that. I want these papers to be so full of details I get sick of it. Create names for the characters and places for the scenes in this video, if you know the names and events then you may keep the originals if you wish.

You may find a different video that is similar to the one above, send it to me so I can check it first though, the one I provided was just to get one there for those who can't find anything.

-Frosty

DeanE555's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Assignment 3 - Video Immersion

Naruto huh... watched this stuff long ago but don't really remember anything and never got this far like the video... well I'll just have do with my imagination I guess,that's the whole point after all... Time for working! err writing!

On a serious note,this assignment looks quite unique. Let's hope all of us (or me at least...) won't struggle like last time! Now,writing about anime means exaggerating with the story should be normal (you gotta love the japanese... just look at their stories from the Edo period and you will understand ),so let's see how it goes! I'll watch the whole stuff tommorow (tired and unmotivated as hell)

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I don't know anything about the original story in this video, so I made up names for the characters and did my best to make a story which would fit the images.

Natsuko's Gift

Natsuko’s Gift

Natsuko realised that it was happening at last. Her child was being born! Anticipation and excitement ran through her … and fear. Would she be able to cope with the pain? What would this mean for her Gift?

Natsuko had known since childhood that she was one of the Gifted. Her Gift was a subtle one, the Gift of Perfect Memory. She could return to any moment in her past in her mind. She could see that past moment as a beautiful, delicate vision. Her teachers in the Temple of the North Wind in Kyoto had warned her about the seductive dangers of her gift. There was always the temptation to return to moments of joy, peace and serenity.

In an instant, she could return to the experience of walking past the cliff where the images of the Gifted heroes of the past had been carved. She could remember looking up at the calm, stone faces with reverence and awe. Whenever she felt afraid, under pressure or in danger, Natsuko felt the temptation to leave the present moment behind and turn inward, to escape into happy memories.

Sometimes memories appeared without Natsuko looking for them. A particular smell or an emotion could suddenly trigger a powerful memory. On the day when she had moved to a new town, she had been struck by the memory of her first day as a new student, being introduced in front of all of the other students. She remembered feeling awkward, feeling conscious of the eyes of all of the other people looking at her, looking but seeing no-one she knew. She had closed her eyes, in that moment, to hide in her memories. Finding sanctuary in images from the past was a hard habit to break. She remembered one of her teachers in the Temple, Tomohiro, a kindly old monk, giving her a proverb to reflect upon: 案ずるより産むが易し。Anzuru yori umu ga yasush: Giving birth to a baby is easier than worrying about it.

“What does this saying mean?” The monk had asked her.

“It means that fear is greater than danger,” Natsuko had replied.

The kindly old monk smiled, “You are correct. Fear can paralyse us. This can prevent us from responding wisely when danger threatens. Remember: summon your will! Focus your awareness on the present moment! This will keep you from retreating into your memories and enable you to respond, when danger appears.”

Now, as she felt her baby move, ready to be born, Natsuko felt afraid. The proverb had seemed so encouraging, so wise, until now, when she actually was giving birth to a baby! Now, childbirth did not seem easy at all! As the pain grew stronger and stronger, she felt the temptation to escape into her memories more than ever.

Natsuko remembered another conversation with the kindly old monk, Tomohiro. He had said, “Natsuko, your name means 'child of summer'. When life’s winter winds threaten you, when you are afraid or in pain, you will always feel tempted to retreat into your memories, so that can always live in summer. This is dangerous. If you never face your fears, you will not grow. If you do not keep your awareness on the present moment when you are in danger, this temptation could cost you your life!”

The pain of childbirth, which had at first seemed mild, now grew and grew in its intensity. She could not block out the pain! The pain was more intense than anything she had known and it was relentless. Suddenly her awareness showed her bright images, like a waking dream. Were her instincts causing her to take refuge in her memories? No! But something was wrong! These were not memories! What was happening to her? What was she seeing? Were these the memories of someone else?

No, these were not the memories of another person. She could see Hiroto, her husband, using his glorious Gift of flight, his long cloak flapping behind him like a wing. What a wonderful Gift he had! When he was afraid, he could physically escape, not just retreat into memories like Natsuko. As he flew, behind him was a pale globe, which seemed to be reflecting light like the Moon – but she thought that she could make out continents, like the Earth. Hiroto was holding something close to him, a bundle. He held the bundle gently, protectively, as if it was fragile and of enormous value.

Natsuko focused her view of the vision, to see Hiroto and his bundle more closely. There was a face wrapped up in what looked like a blanket. She realised that the face was her own. But these events had not happened! This was not a memory! Could the pain of childbirth have altered her Gift, somehow? Instead of seeing visions of the past, was she now seeing glimpses of her future? If she was seeing her future, was this a warning? Could these events be changed?

The scene in her mind changed. She saw herself, holding Hiroto close. They were standing in their home. This was one of her memories. What was happening? Why was she now seeing memories when she had seen mysterious visions before? Then another memory appeared. Hiroto’s arms were around her swollen belly, she was pregnant and she was embracing her husband in return. This scene felt warm, safe and secure.

Then she saw herself was walking in the street, near her home. This was another memory. She found a friend who was holding a baby. She had been pregnant then. She remembered her friend reassuring her that it would be alright, soon she would have a child of her own. She remembered reaching out to hold the baby, feeling its warmth, seeing its tiny hands and bright eyes which seemed to be asking her ‘what are you?’ Before, she had seen visions which were not memories. Now, she saw memories. What was going on?

Natsuko realised that she had become very afraid of the strange visions which were not memories. She realised that she was doing what she always did when she was afraid. She was retreating into her memories, to find a safe place. But, if she was hiding in her memories, did that mean that she would no longer see the visions of the future? She had sensed terrible danger in the future. She had to be strong. She must let go of the temptation to stay hidden in her memories. She had to summon all her strength, her will and her awareness. She needed to return to the present moment. When she did this, the memories faded away and she felt the pain of childbirth returning.

When the pain returned, she saw the people around her and the lights nearby. The lights in the room were so bright! As she returned to the present moment, to the birth of her child, the strange visions began to return as well. Disturbing visions appeared, one after another.

A masked man was lying on his back in a stream. A hand touched his head; a harsh voice said, “Get up, Kiyoshi. You are ready.” She sensed terrible danger. This man was a threat to her. This man moved stealthily, his muscles poised to strike, like an assassin. A moment later, Natsuko’s awareness returned to the present moment. There was so much pain.

Her visions returned. A terrifying monster was chained, lying on its back, in pain. Somehow, Natsuko felt empathy for this frightening creature. Like her, it was suffering and unable to move.

Ahhhh! Somehow the pain was lessening. She saw Hiroto standing nearby, tears running down his face. Suddenly there was a shrieking, red-faced infant in her arms – her baby! Was this the present moment, or a vision of the near future? She saw masked men burst in. Hands were reaching for her tiny, vulnerable child. “No! You cannot take my baby!” she heard herself cry in desperation.

She saw a masked men holding her baby in a blanket. Something shone in his hand, a knife! Natsuko felt terrified. Was this a vision? Would she have time to warn Hiroto? If this was a vision, it seemed like a vision of the near future – perhaps only moments away. The vision – if it was a vision – continued. The masked man threw her baby high in the air. Why? Did he want to hurt her baby or was he in danger, abandoning the baby to defend himself? Natsuko’s vision did not tell her.

In this frightening moment, Natsuko was deeply grateful that Hiroto’s Gift was flight. He was there, catching their child! A bright sphere of light suddenly appeared. Was this an attack from one of the masked men? Hiroto appeared to catch it in the child’s blanket, and threw it aside. There was a huge explosion nearby, but Hiroto and the child were safe. He flew quickly down to the ground, cradling the baby to protect him. Natsuko guessed that Hiroto wanted to hide. While he was flying, he was too visible to their masked enemies. Natsuko realised that they must be under attack from people who were also Gifted. Tomohiro, the kindly old monk at the Temple of the North Wind, had warned her to beware of such people – Gifted people who used their Gifts without conscience, discipline or morality. Such people were lethal.

Surely this was a vision? She saw a women tied up, helpless, like the monster had been, and apparently in pain. A masked man held up a finger as if to signify the number one. What was the significance of this? Her mind summoned another memory, another of the monks teaching in the Temple of the North Wind, a mathematics class. His voice had been as dry and as a desert and he had spoken in a whisper which somehow carried clearly across the room. She remembered him saying “In probability, 1 is the probability of an event that is almost certain to occur.” If this was a vision, perhaps her unconscious was somehow sending her a message: these events are almost certain to occur. But what was the point of having visions of the future if nothing could be changed? There must be something that she could do. If this was the future, she intended to face it and fight it!

Now she saw the terrifying monster again. The chains were gone. It was free! There was a huge explosion in the city. The monster’s huge tentacles were breaking down walls and shattering homes. The people of the city were in terrible danger! A masked man was approaching the city. Now the city was in even greater danger! Was there any hope? There was Hiroto, in his shining white robe with the blood-red edge, walking confidently to face his enemies. The city was falling into ruin! The monster’s huge mouth gaped open, revealing its teeth. Each tooth looked viciously sharp, like a wakizashi, a samurai’s short sword.

Hiroto’s hands moved quickly, as if he was taking part in a ritual in the Temple of the North Wind. But this was like no ritual she which Natsuko had ever seen. Just as her Gift went beyond Perfect Memory, including also visions of the future, it seemed that Hiroto’s Gift gave him more than the power to fly. From his hands, a sphere of bright, scorching-hot light flew swiftly and surely towards the monster’s terrible mouth. The monster roared its defiance and fell back, deeply wounded. The city was saved!

But now there was a new danger. A masked man was reaching for Hiroto from behind. Had Hiroto sensed the danger? Yes, he moved with the grace of a dancer and the speed of an arrow. A knife appeared in Hiroto’s hand as he reached towards the masked man, the assassin. But, as the knife reached the masked assassin, he faded and disappeared. The air seemed to shimmer and swirl. Hiroto disappeared as well. Had he been caught by the mysterious vortex of air which the masked assassin had vanished into?

Hiroto and the assassin re-appeared in a field, near a wood, outside the city. Hiroto and the assassin ran towards each other, hands outstretched to strike. Again, the assassin disappeared. He was behind Hiroto! He too had a Gift which gave him more than one power. Out of nowhere, chains appeared in his hands, chains which he was using to trap Hiroto. Hiroto again made quick movements with his hands and produced a bright sphere of light. The masked man moved with the speed of a striking snake, dodging out of the path of the bright sphere. But the sphere had been a distraction, a decoy. Hiroto had anticipated the assassin’s evasive action and was closing in with his knife outstretched. This fight was over.

Now, was the city safe? No! The monster had been badly hurt but it was raging and returning to attack the city. But now the defenders of the city were ready. A line of samurai in full armour stood ready, facing the monster without fear. Hiroto arrived and Natsuko saw that she, herself, was with him. Now, at last, Natsuko knew for sure that she was seeing a vision of the future and not the present moment.

The terrifying monster was still raging. Had the fearless samurai not been enough to defeat it? She saw Hiroto moving his hands quickly in a strange pattern. A cloud of smoke formed around him. He was trying to hide from the monster, trying to buy time for his wife and child to escape. The monster lunged forward. Hiroto was in immediate danger! Would he fight and win, or would he escape? Natsuko did not know.

Suddenly Natsuko saw a peaceful, green landscape. Had terror driven her to escape into a peaceful memory? No, this was a new vision. Two purple flowers swayed gently in the sunshine. Somehow she knew that each flower marked a grave, one for Hiroto and one for her. She felt a terrible sense of loss, and yet felt a strange serenity.

She heard a baby crying. She was back in the present moment! Natsuko’s new-born child was a gift even more precious to her than her Gift of Perfect Memory. But could she change the future which she had seen?
    --

(Sources: I used the 'Japanese proverbs' page on Wikipedia for the Japanese proverb and the Wikipedia entry for the number 1 for the comments of the monk about probability)

Last edited by Alwyn; July 17, 2015 at 03:26 AM.

I figured I might as well post my story. Better late then never. I went for a different kind of approach than I usually would but it was interesting to write.
    I really liked your style Alwyn. The way the visions came in and out of her head was really similar to how the video jumped aroud and was really clever.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Video Immersion

Drifting aimlessly. Suspended in time and space. Perfectly conscious and yet unable to form coherent thoughts. Occasionally I catch snippets of someone else's emotions. The fear of starting a new school or the excitement of meeting some boy. These things mean nothing to me. I feel no emotions of my own. I don’t know how long I have been stuck in this limbo. Maybe I have been here forever. Perhaps this is the entirety of my existence. On the other hand I might have only been here a moment. I lack the focus to dwell on any of these things. The thoughts wander into my head and then out again like clouds floating across the sky.

Suddenly someones pain shoots through me. This is a lot stronger then the other foreign feelings I have experienced. It dawns on me that my mind had focused. Perhaps for the first time ever. I still can’t recall my origin or my history but I know my purpose. I must escape. I desperately struggle but it is as if I am chained to the ground. I can almost taste freedom and yet I can’t break loose. I realize how much I want to get out of this limbo now but it is no use. I feel the pain receding and with it my chances of escape. I try to scream at myself to remain focused but no noise comes out. Slowly I stop caring. Just like that I return to my old meaningless state.

Then another wave of someones emotions wash over me, fear, anguish, panic. I again starting struggling against my bonds but they pull me down. Then another force begins to pull me up. I can feel the strain on the chains and they shatter. I rise upwards. My soul is free and I burst out of my prison. My body takes shape and I stand in a forest dwarfing the trees. I am a magnificent nine-tailed red demon. My very being pulses with power and although I still can’t recall my past, I have a new goal. To kill.

I see my first victim. A women lying on a stone relaxing in the middle of a lake. She is simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. I slam my clawed hand squashing her. The murder feels so good. The man who released me stands below me. For a moment I contemplate destroying him as well but I get a strange notion that he is my servant.
    “Where is the nearest city.” I growled.
    “Just a kilometer to the south.” He responded sounding confused.
    “We shall destroy it.” I snarled.
    “If that is your will, all powerful one.” The servant said reluctantly.
    “Go find the woman I was trapped in and kill her and her family. Only then can you prove your worth. I will take care of the rest.”
    The man looked disgruntled. He doubtless thought he had already proved himself by freeing me. In truth I planned for him to die one way or another by the time this night was over. The quest was only to provide some entertainment for me and also to make my job a little easier.

I ran south moving with speed that surprised even me. The city appeared in front of me. I grinned wickedly. I would take great delight in tearing it apart. I leaped into the town. It was the dead of night and the streets were deserted but that changed in a matter of seconds. People came running from the houses like fools running towards their slaughter. I smashed buildings and people alike. Some ninjas tried to fight back but they also died. I channeled flames through my hands to light up the town. After being trapped without feeling for so long it felt so good to release all my hatred. Then I saw the man perched on a cliff with the faces of old leaders carved into it. His name was Akio and he had been the partner of the vessel I was trapped in, I wasn’t sure how I knew this I just did. I summoned a ball of black energy in my mouth; a power I didn’t even know I possessed and I launched it at the cliff with the stupid face. The cliff seemed to absorb the ball and it created a large explosion. I assumed Akio was dead.

There were now many ninjas surrounding me all willing to die for their city. I decided to oblige them and began butchering them. They fought valiantly but they were no match for me. My memory from before my imprisonment was coming back to me, as I killed. I had been a demon king sent to wreck chaos on the mortals before an old monk using ancient magic had trapped me inside the body of a baby girl. Now I was back and there was no way I was going to be defeated again. Then a crushing force hit me on the head nearly knocking me unconscious. It was a giant toad. I knew him he was a demon himself but he had gone soft and joined the mortals.
    “I will kill you traitor.” I vowed as I struggled with him. I flung him away but he had distracted me long enough for the ninjas to summon chains, which rose up from the floor and bounded the ground. The same old monk who had imprisoned me all those years ago appeared. I was surprised he was still alive as he was ancient back then but he didn’t look any older. He had the same determination in his eyes. Beside him stood Akio.
    “I slew your servant.” Spat Akio. “And now we shall seal you once more, inside me this time.”
    “You won’t be able to contain me.” I hissed in reply.
    “Akio, the only one we will be able to trap him inside is a new born baby.... Your son.” The old man said soothingly.
    The man looked like he was going to loose his temper for a minute. Then he looked like he was going to cry. Eventually he sighed, “So be it.”

He summoned an altar. He walked up to his wife and took the baby from her. She protested but he put his hand on her cheek and said spoke softly. Akio placed his son onto the altar. Rage filled me. I will not let this happen again I thought. I launched one last desperate assault against the chains reaching for the child knowing if I killed him then they wouldn’t be able to imprison me. The chain snapped and I gave a triumphant roar but then something stopped my claw. The parents of the child had thrown themselves in the way of my strike. They collapsed dead. They had died trying to save their child.
    “Mortals always were fools.” I sniggered. “The child will die anyway.”
    “Enough.” Cried the elder. With surprising vigor he chanted the spell and formed the hand gestures that would seal me away. I lunged at him but it was to late my body began to disintegrate and my soul was sucked into the baby’s body. The numbness began to set in again and soon the memories began to fade and I once more lacked purpose.

Drifting aimlessly. Suspended in time and space.
    The game.

Iron Aquilifer's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Anime *shudders*
    The city was Gudilao, an outbreak of rough-cut stone buildings and wooden spires oozing from between the folds of the mountains Lengun, Jinya and Chumiankong. Thousands called it home, scrambling up the mountainside for a space to build their square houses. There had been no sane architect behind the layout, fungal growths scattered like grain on the morning breeze, winding streets leading to empty fields and walls beginning and ending in the middle of hovels. No colour emanated from within its confines beyond drab grey and brown. The little greenery peaking from between the cobbles went by unnoticed, minor redoubts of nature trying in vain to remain dominant within the city.

Walking those streets, bare feet cutting themselves on the ridged cobbles, Abito grimaced at every turn. She squirmed beneath her clothing, every second spent within the settlement grating on her. She did not belong here, in this cancer that grew and grew despite the actions of She-Who-Gives. It was not in the nature of the Great Lady to act out of malice, something her disciple had been birthed to do. The shadows were not meant to be. The sun was meant to strike the ground, not hidden by towers and thatched roofs.

“She is beautiful.”

What? Who are you? Almost leaping in shock, Abito was thrust back in to her body. A woman, she body told her mind, young and attractive, if you are in to that look. There was a few moments of silence between the two women, Abito trying to piece everything together and the stranger waiting on a reply. Who is beautiful?

“Your child,” the stranger prompted, her hands raising as if to grasp the bundle in Abito’s arms.

“Yes, yes she is.”

Behind them, in one of the disgraceful displays of human civilisation, a meek voice called out for Amaterusa.

----------------------

She-Who-Gives commands us to do this.

I understand sensei, yet, how can we trust the beast?”

The beast was Ermatakai, the Nine-Tailed Fox. Each tail marked a great daemon spirit he had deceived in to furthering his own goals, betrayed to humanity for his own selfish gain. His imprisonment was at the command of She-Who-Gives herself. How could she relent now, after all that they had done?

We cannot, and that is why it must be you who completes this. No other can harness his fury. Your fire is the purity which will guide him.

In Her name.”

In Her name.”

The guards wore ceremonial masks, supposedly meant to be dogs. The red claw marks were the human’s idea of intimidation, of a true representation of might. Where was the skill in being harmed? Where was the terror induced from wearing mouse-masks in the face of the wild cat?

Humans.

Sucking in a deep breath, Abito was suddenly upon one of the mice, a hurricane of black smoke and midnight shadow. She moved as a blizzard of razor and fang, removing the mask and head it concealed from the body. The corpse had not even begun to collapse in to its pathetic heap when she allowed the breath out, appearing before a second rodent. This one she did not even give the honour of being eliminated, casting it like a rock against a nearby wall of defiled wood and metal. Up and up she worked, the narrow path cut in to the mountainside as useless as the torches which illuminated it. Eight of the vermin were dealt with, making only the noise of air as their foul energy left them.

The cave was nothing more than a carved hollow in the side of Jinya. More torches braved to drink of the oxygen, allowing the humans there to watch as a woman heaved on a stone table. Am I too late? The bonds needed to be at their weakest. If not, then Nine-Tails would remain forever trapped. She-Who-Gives would be without her weapon. The humans would win once again.

Abito launched herself forward then, one long talon grasping the throat of a grey-haired crone as a curled foot took another in the back. They lasted a second. She spared the baby in its pale yellow cloth only a glance.

“Kushina,” she whispered over the prone woman, working her tongue over the guttural sounds. “It is time to release your burden.”

There was a moment as the exhausted female did not understand what was going on, believing the figure of shadow before her to be one of the midwives. Yet intelligence – or what passed for it among the vermin – appeared in her eyes as they widened to things of black fear.

Human rituals were long. Comically so. They were blind and deaf and dumb, walking in an empty field searching for a tree to grasp. Such was not the case with Abito. She placed a single digit upon the forehead of the new mother, drawing the ancient word for freedom.

“Kushina!”

Too late. It was a man, of age with the mother. The husband. He threw himself forward, fear propelling himself as only it could. The baby. Instead of making to face the man, his eyes glowing with stolen power of the spirits, Abito latched on to the child of Kushina. Breathing out, she was at the back of the cave.

“Give me back my child, daemon!” the man growled, leaping forward as only one trained in the dark arts could do.

What passed as a smile framed Abito’s face. Fixing her burning eye upon the human, she launched the child in to the air. The blue cloth came free as the disciple did so, revealing the trap to even the blind eyes of the humans.

Reappearing upon the peak of Lengun, the disciple traced “freedom” upon the refreshing stone beneath her feet. The moon was hidden, unwilling to bare another night of gazing helplessly upon the earth. In its place the cold winds raged and duelled to have the honour of striking the humans with their claws. For a moment, a brief respite which lasted as long as the passing of light, Abito felt the calmness of the high peak settle her soul.

Placing the baby upon the ground, Abito took a step back, already beginning to focus her mind upon the fury within her. She remembered walking through Gudilao, she recalled the devastated forests, the extinguished winged steeds and the empty mountains which once housed the great spirits. The images were painted in the shades of bitterness and shame, consuming her as only the flame of anger could.

Tasting the emotion, the rare, pure power of her emotion, Ermatakai came forth in a shower of blood and pulp. To the human mind, such an impossibility would have bewildered them. Rising from the blood of Kushina and Minato, of captor and thief, Nine-Tails shook free of his chains and returned to the mortal realm where he had once walked as a god.

Humans! The beast forced in to her head, where are they?

Before you, she replied, forming the words without a mouth. She-Who-Gives wishes them gone.

There is nothing “great” about your lady, the great spirit daemon mocked. She could not slay me.

You will not help? Already Abito was preparing herself in case the Fox intended to claim another tail and song of infamy. You would see humans live?

There was a moment of silence, of such pure stillness as to stop time.

The humans die.

Letting out a breath, Abito was behind Minato. However he was fast, too fast for a human. He spun and dodged and lunged, lashing out at the shadows which threatened him with dagger and talon and razor fang. He even managed to dive through Abito, forgetting of the immense power possessed by the true natives of the land. Humans.

She went high and then low, striking here and there and here and there, one moment before him and the next behind, at one side and then the other. Minato continued to deflect each blow, calling forth the powers of the spirits he had slain with his plague of humanity.

Then there was pain.

She wraith-stepped away from the clash, the shadow evaporating as Abito struggled to comprehend what had occurred. He can step? The question was answered as Minato was suddenly behind her again, launching her forward. How is this possible? She tried to step away, but he was with her, matching breath for breath. To one watching on the cliff edge, even one of the realm of the gods, they would only see two shadows. Dancing. Circling. Colliding. As if witnessing a slideshow, an observer would see brief images of the two, as if they moved through ice, no faster than snails. And then they would be gone in to their shadows, as fast as light to reappear somewhere else.

Die. She struck out then, a blade of emotion cutting through the planes of two dimensions as it sought the flesh of the human who dared to try and equal her. Her blade never reached flesh.

Minato’s on the other hand…