Thread: Doesn't support Dual core?

LeoZ's Avatar Civis

Default Doesn't support Dual core?

I have read on official forums that M2TW doesn't support Dual core, is it true?

Default Re: Doesn't support Dual core?

Highly improbable. What they likely meant is that M2:TW wasn't written specifically for dual core processors and thus you will not see a big advantage when using them versus single core cpus. You'll still likely see a small advantage mind you thanks to everything else (background services, windows itself, etc..) possibly running on the other core.

I have dual core and all work well

Germanicus75's Avatar Domesticus

Well it RUNS with dual core, that's for sure. I don't think it is specifically optimized to take advantage of 2 cores though.

Too bad it wasn't written to take advantage of parallel processing....

Oh well maybe next time. By then I'll probably be running a quad core with an NVidia DirectX 10 9800 GT...

i feel sorry for everyone who brought dual-core half a year ago for games that will support it in about a year and a half. The games that were suppose to be dual-core gained little frames per second, and no game used two cores to do anything really special yet.

Then again, wont be long now! oh...crysis was pushed back by months and months, lol.

Im not being critical to people who brought dual-core for gaming, just that they advertised and brought it across that dual-core gaming was the way too go, without telling anyone it wont happen for over a year.

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Quote Originally Posted by Cadmium77 View Post
    Too bad it wasn't written to take advantage of parallel processing....

Oh well maybe next time. By then I'll probably be running a quad core with an NVidia DirectX 10 9800 GT...
    Well that's probably because RTW was written for single-core CPUs
    Implementing multi-core support into an existing engine is probably a non-trivial task indeed!

GODzilla's Avatar Civitate

I'm also running it on a C2D and it runs fine.

We should consider ourselves lucky, there are some new games out there that are actually runing worse on dual core CPUs then on single core ones.
    GODzilla(TM)
    son of the family of Wilpuri under the patronage of makanyane

Syntax Error's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Kye View Post
    i feel sorry for everyone who brought dual-core half a year ago for games that will support it in about a year and a half. The games that were suppose to be dual-core gained little frames per second, and no game used two cores to do anything really special yet.

I personally bought a dual core to multi-task, I'm the kind of guy that likes to rip audio tracks, convert video files, extract compressed .RARs and other stuff while playing M2TW.

It's just nice to get stuff done while also having fun.

vikrant's Avatar The Messiah of innocence

Well Moved To Tech
    Under the Patronage of CHANDRASHEKHAR AZAD {prarara}
    patron of selenius4tsd ; tornnight
    use report button to help us keep twc clean

freekyjason's Avatar Civis

runs fine on dual core, and like someone has said already, multi tasking is always good and the dual core chip does that just fine too.

I would have liked to have seen more performance benefits out of my dual core computer whilst running the game. Its a perfect game to run well on a dual core system so the reason why thay havent done it evades me.

Having said that I tried it on my original single core P2.4 and could run reasonably well on only render 1 engine at medium/high settings (engine 2 was a lag-fest). On my dual core AMD4800 (2x2.4GHz) it runs well on the render 2 engine (on settings medium/high) and really fast on the render 1 engine (all settings high and very high resolution) so I cant really complain.