Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [UPD 30 OCT 15] Preview: Faction and Unit Descriptions

Mr.Jox's Avatar WHY SO SERIOUS?!

Default Re: [UPD 30/10/15] Preview Thread: Faction and Unit Descriptions

Quote Originally Posted by Arachir Galudirithon View Post
    My understanding of Sindarin would suggest that the Blue Guards be written as either 'Tirithluin' (most grammatically correct) or Luinthirith (least grammatically correct but examples of a more Anglicized use of Sindarin are known).

I have never seen the use of a 'i' on the end to denote pluralism nor is the hyphen used very much in Sindarin if at all. (Save for when it is used for 'of the')

Looking good so far and under the guidance of Mr J (You'll still be Jox to me sir!) I have high hopes for this mod!
    Thanks man, nice to see ya here!

Alkar's Avatar Decanus

My understanding of Sindarin would suggest that the Blue Guards be written as either 'Tirithluin' (most grammatically correct) or Luinthirith (least grammatically correct but examples of a more Anglicized use of Sindarin are known).

I have never seen the use of a 'i' on the end to denote pluralism nor is the hyphen used very much in Sindarin if at all. (Save for when it is used for 'of the')

Looking good so far and under the guidance of Mr J (You'll still be Jox to me sir!) I have high hopes for this mod!
    I believe the -i on the end is only used (sometimes) for the Quenya plurals, and not the Sindarin. What you have seems accurate in Sindarin. I take it you're a master of Elven languages? I only know a very little. Perhaps you could help us (or point out someone capable) with our Elvish translations before they show up in the mod? I've tried to help cshewey on them but I know so very little about it ...

Of the Lore of Middle-earth: Click Here and Here

Hail and well met sir! I will change the name for the game. Thank you for the input.
    -Cshewey

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    I believe the -i on the end is only used (sometimes) for the Quenya plurals, and not the Sindarin. What you have seems accurate in Sindarin. I take it you're a master of Elven languages? I only know a very little. Perhaps you could help us (or point out someone capable) with our Elvish translations before they show up in the mod? I've tried to help cshewey on them but I know so very little about it ...
    Well met indeed to both yourself and cshewey! I have a pretty good grasp of Sindarin but no knoweldge of Quenya at all. I will be happy to help out with any translations you wish for or any naming. To be honest, I would be happy to help out with any writing you need if you wanted a hand but the writing I have seen so far is top notch!

I currently head up the Divide and Conquer submod for Third Age for Med 2 Kingdoms so am familiar with the modding scene. (I have worked with Mr J a few times too)

Anywho, feel free to give me a shout if you need any help!

Berio i refn-en-eilph len! (Wings of the Swan protect you)

Mr.Jox's Avatar WHY SO SERIOUS?!

Yup I can confirm Arachir is very good lore master and known modder.

Alkar's Avatar Decanus

Well met indeed to both yourself and cshewey! I have a pretty good grasp of Sindarin but no knoweldge of Quenya at all. I will be happy to help out with any translations you wish for or any naming. To be honest, I would be happy to help out with any writing you need if you wanted a hand but the writing I have seen so far is top notch!

I currently head up the Divide and Conquer submod for Third Age for Med 2 Kingdoms so am familiar with the modding scene. (I have worked with Mr J a few times too)

Anywho, feel free to give me a shout if you need any help!

Berio i refn-en-eilph len! (Wings of the Swan protect you)
    Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.J View Post
    Yup I can confirm Arachir is very good lore master and known modder.
    I agree Mr. J and to be honest, while i can write well, i am in no true manner a lore master of any kind, i have read the books a few times and seen the movies and done some reserch but Arachir (PS Arachir, i watch a lot of your vids on youtube, your lore has helped my work in more than a few places) would make a fine lore-master and a good companion in the writting. His knowledge of Lore would enhance my writting, and help a ton as we continue work with rosters, factions and unit scripts. If he wants to i would have no problem having him work on my writing team with Maestro.

However Arachir, we work at a pretty fast pace in the writting department, so just a heads up.

-Cshewey

PS thanks Arachir, glad you like it.

Well to keep your preview thread on topic, PM me if I can be of assistance.

Alkar's Avatar Decanus

Well to keep your preview thread on topic, PM me if I can be of assistance.
    You do YouTube videos on lore? Cool idea.

Expect some previews tomorrow, should be quite a lot.
    -Cshewey

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    You do YouTube videos on lore? Cool idea.
    Sort of, I have done faction overview videos for all of DaC's 26 factions and then I started some Let's Plays and found myself just talking about the lore within them. I am certainly considereing doing some dedicated 'People's of Middle-earth videos' but time will tell.

Looking forward to the previews for today! May I say the Easterling units look incredible and they make me sad that we will never see that level of detail over in the Mediveal 2 modding scene.

Maestro1's Avatar Tiro

Well, it seems like Arachir is a die-hard when it comes down to modding. I believe he could make a great addition to us in terms of modding, writing, and most of all: lore. We have Alkar doing some great stuff on the latter, I can see a lore-core (what an assonance) coming up here. This might be a good time to come into play for you Arachir. With two writing/rostering guys in the team, it came to my idea to plan ahead and divide the work, if you decide to join, it would be best to do that before such a planning.
    Anyway, our team is taking shape now, why don't you join?

I will happily join if you will have me, I absolutely love writing and thoroughly enjoy weaving the lore through the sometimes fictitious units. Perhaps my greatest use will be that I am English so I can also help with any grammar issues or sentence structure, things like that.

I will happily join if you will have me, I absolutely love writing and thoroughly enjoy weaving the lore through the sometimes fictitious units. PerIhaps my greatest use will be that I am English so I can also help with any grammar issues or sentence structure, things like that.
    I would love to have you, if you PM Mr. J or Vikus, they will give the final decision.

The Kingdom of Dale

We are the men of Dale, slayers of Dragons, Marshalls of the North, friends of Dwarves and Elves. We have recaptured Dale from the clutches of Smaug the Golden, and rebuilt our ancient cities, now our trade lines prosper once again. Wine comes up the River from the men of Dorwinion, our merchants traffic this to the Halls of the Woodland King, and the Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain. Often our Merchants travel by the great Western road, over the Misty Mountains and into Eriador. We are known far and wide as good and fair traders, our reputation fills our coffers. But as we rebuild our old lives, the Shadow creeps in once more.

Though we were victorious in the Battle of the Five Armies, we are yet surrounded. The Easterlings are our chief foe, they lie to the south east, ever watching our lands and scheming. The Orcs of Dul Guldur are encamped in their fortress to our west, and other more foul creatures have been seen near our borders. But we are not abandoned, we have many strong friends abiding in Rhovanion. The Dwarves of Erebor are our greatest friends, we share much; trade, weapons, maps, and in times of war we will fight for each other. The Elves of Mirkwood, while strange and mysterious folk are our friends as well. Their rangers often keep the creatures of Mirkwood from entering our lands. Also the Court of Dorwinion lies to our south, they are good and noble men, and perhaps the richest as well. Yet it seems the enemy has no fear of these. In the end the Dwarves will stay in their mountain, the Elves will stay in their beloved forest and the men of Dorwinion will continue to abide in secrecy along the shores of the Rhunic Sea. We however have no mountains or forests to hide in. Trade roads, outposts, towns and cities are scattered throughout our lands, and all the eyes of the enemy are on our wealth. Both our people and our trade must be protected.

in Dale our finest weapon is the longbow, we are masters of its art and deadly accurate, our archers will be the key tool we can provide in the upcoming war. Also we have many fine spear-men, and others armed with weapons from our dwarvish friends. But we are untrained, and largely undisciplined, after Dale and Esgaroth burned many of our barracks and armories were burnt, and our troops must be retrained and re positioned. We are valiant Edain, -Northmen as it were- and will not easily be frightened by shadow or sword. But the time of war will come and Dale must be ready, ready to fight, ready to hold. We have forts and towns along the River Running to aid in the defense of an attack from the south. Dale has many high towers and strong walls, and there are but 4 bridges into Esgaroth. An attack from land would be a hard campaign for the enemy. But he has the men to do it. We have barely the strength to hold our forts and towns, much less an army to meet him in the field. The overflowing of our coffers is worthless if not protected.

Dale is the gateway to Mirkwood, and if we are overrun, our friends will be surrounded and slain. We can no longer trust in the strength of our friends, but must look within for the strength to fight. Rhovanion will soon be flooded with tides of evil men and orcs, burning and pillaging as the go. Now more then ever we need a captain, on like Bard, who, when the Dragon comes he will not run in fear, or be dismayed by the fire, but will take up his bow in defense of his Kingdom and slay the fell beast! You now are the captain of Dale, and when the Dragon of war comes...you must slay it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spearmen of Dale

Spearmen of Dale
    Out of Desolation arise new sons, clad in the gleaming armor of their fathers. The Men of the new Kingdom of Dale take to the fields of Rhovanion with stout spears, tall shields and thick armor, they are a sturdy and dependable wall defending their new Kingdom. These valiant spearmen are seen as a threat to both footman and horsemen alike.

Swordsmen of Dale

Swordsmen of Dale

Strong men, from the city built by their own hands. The swordsmen of Dale bear the arms and armor of their fathers, forged within the friendship of the two Kindreds. These capable infantrymen can both hold the line, and break through many others. The blood of the Northmen flows strong in their veins, and the men of the north have a keen lust, and competency for battle that few others posses.

Dalian Bowmen

Dalian Bowmen
    The emblem of the Raven, and the kinship of the Dragon-Slayer are the heraldry of these expert bowmen. Their strong and yet light armor, coupled with their tall bows of yew make these some of the finest archers of Men.

Laketown Guards

Laketown Guards
    Laketown is protected by a small corps of well armored and equipped soldiers, they keep watch over the roads and gates and always in remembrance keep their eyes keen to the sky. Partial plate armor combined with sharp glaves enable them to hold at bay many great foes.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by cshewey View Post

The Kingdom of Dale

We are the men of Dale, slayers of Dragons, Marshalls of the North, friends of Dwarves and Elves. We have recaptured Dale from the clutches of Smaug the Golden, and rebuilt our ancient cities, now our trade lines prosper once again. Wine comes up the River from the men of Dorwinion, our merchants traffic this to the Halls of the Woodland King, and the Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain. Often our Merchants travel by the great Western road, over the Misty Mountains and into Eriador. We are known far and wide as good and fair traders, our reputation fills our coffers. But as we rebuild our old lives, the Shadow creeps in once more.

Though we were victorious in the Battle of the Five Armies, we are yet surrounded. The Easterlings are our chief foe, they lie to the south east, ever watching our lands and scheming. The Orcs of Dul Guldur are encamped in their fortress to our west, and other more foul creatures have been seen near our borders. But we are not abandoned, we have many strong friends abiding in Rhovanion. The Dwarves of Erebor are our greatest friends, we share much; trade, weapons, maps, and in times of war we will fight for each other. The Elves of Mirkwood, while strange and mysterious folk are our friends as well. Their rangers often keep the creatures of Mirkwood from entering our lands. Also the Court of Dorwinion lies to our south, they are good and noble men, and perhaps the richest as well. Yet it seems the enemy has no fear of these. In the end the Dwarves will stay in their mountain, the Elves will stay in their beloved forest and the men of Dorwinion will continue to abide in secrecy along the shores of the Rhunic Sea. We however have no mountains or forests to hide in. Trade roads, outposts, towns and cities are scattered throughout our lands, and all the eyes of the enemy are on our wealth. Both our people and our trade must be protected.

in Dale our finest weapon is the longbow, we are masters of its art and deadly accurate, our archers will be the key tool we can provide in the upcoming war. Also we have many fine spear-men, and others armed with weapons from our dwarvish friends. But we are untrained, and largely undisciplined, after Dale and Esgaroth burned many of our barracks and armories were burnt, and our troops must be retrained and re positioned. We are valiant Edain, -Northmen as it were- and will not easily be frightened by shadow or sword. But the time of war will come and Dale must be ready, ready to fight, ready to hold. We have forts and towns along the River Running to aid in the defense of an attack from the south. Dale has many high towers and strong walls, and there are but 4 bridges into Esgaroth. An attack from land would be a hard campaign for the enemy. But he has the men to do it. We have barely the strength to hold our forts and towns, much less an army to meet him in the field. The overflowing of our coffers is worthless if not protected.

Dale is the gateway to Mirkwood, and if we are overrun, our friends will be surrounded and slain. We can no longer trust in the strength of our friends, but must look within for the strength to fight. Rhovanion will soon be flooded with tides of evil men and orcs, burning and pillaging as the go. Now more then ever we need a captain, on like Bard, who, when the Dragon comes he will not run in fear, or be dismayed by the fire, but will take up his bow in defense of his Kingdom and slay the fell beast! You now are the captain of Dale, and when the Dragon of war comes...you must slay it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spearmen of Dale

Spearmen of Dale
    Out of Desolation arise new sons, clad in the gleaming armor of their fathers. The Men of the new Kingdom of Dale take to the fields of Rhovanion with stout spears, tall shields and thick armor, they are a sturdy and dependable wall defending their new Kingdom. These valiant spearmen are seen as a threat to both footman and horsemen alike.

Swordsmen of Dale

Swordsmen of Dale

Strong men, from the city built by their own hands. The swordsmen of Dale bear the arms and armor of their fathers, forged within the friendship of the two Kindreds. These capable infantrymen can both hold the line, and break through many others. The blood of the Northmen flows strong in their veins, and the men of the north have a keen lust, and competency for battle that few others posses.

Dalian Bowmen

Dalian Bowmen
    The emblem of the Raven, and the kinship of the Dragon-Slayer are the heraldry of these expert bowmen. Their strong and yet light armor, coupled with their tall bows of yew make these some of the finest archers of Men.

Laketown Guards

Laketown Guards
    Laketown is protected by a small corps of well armored and equipped soldiers, they keep watch over the roads and gates and always in remembrance keep their eyes keen to the sky. Partial plate armor combined with sharp glaves enable them to hold at bay many great foes.

enjoying texts tanks
    greetings atthias
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Alkar's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by cshewey View Post

The Kingdom of Dale

Spearmen of Dale

Spearmen of Dale

Swordsmen of Dale

Swordsmen of Dale

Dalian Bowmen

Dalian Bowmen

Laketown Guards

Laketown Guards

Nice!

Berem's Avatar Libertus
    ...Brasil, Santa Catarina, Florianópolis...

Very good text, but may I correct you on some things that maybe are incorrect? As in: "Rhovanion will soon be flooded with tides of evil men and orcs, burning and pillaging as "the"(they) go. Now more then ever we need a captain, "on"(one) like Bard, who, when the Dragon comes he will not run in fear, or be dismayed by the fire, but will take up his bow in defense of his Kingdom and slay the fell beast!"

I would suggest you to write the following: "You 'are' now the captain of Dale, and when the Dragon of war comes...you must slay it.", instead of: "You 'now' are the captain of Dale, and when the Dragon of war comes...you must slay it.".
    Last edited by Mr.Jox; December 18, 2015 at 02:47 PM.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    You see, my friend, or should I say foe: the truth has died so long ago, that I shall not find her headstone!

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

Completely brilliant. Dale were my favourites in TATW and even with a completely different look, I can see them being my favourites again. One thing I noticed, with the Bowmen, you mention the raven emblem. In the Hobbit, the ravens speak to the Dwarves and live on Erebor but it's thrushes that the men of Dale could speak to and understand. The symbol in the film isn't clear as one or the other so I wasn't sure if your choice was intentional.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

chriskourou's Avatar Semisalis

Well, that's pretty awesome

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast