Thread: [Official AoB Preview #2] Hittites

Dontfearme22's Avatar Campidoctor

Default [Official AoB Preview #2] Hittites

~For thousands of years the Nesili wandered the steppes, coming at last to the highlands of Anatolia. From their rocky capital of Hattusas the kings of Hatti extend a shadow of power
    over all the peninsula, and from their vast barracks vast armies flow outwards onto the plains of Syria and the coasts of Arzawa. Only a empire such as this can stand a equal to the
    arrogant Pharaohs of Egypt, and carve such a empire out of the desert landscape...

*Disclaimer to this preview is the same as the European Preview, reference that as necessary*

Unit Previews:

The Hittite army is one of extreme variability, and versatility. A Hittite general commands in equal part core elite troops from the heart of the empire,
    huge levies of Anatolian infantry, and unique and powerful recruitable mercenaries from lands as far afield as Greece and Armenia.

Hittite Core Troops:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Hittite Provincial Axemen:

Hittite Levy Spearmen:

for some reason everytime I delete this tag it comes back, so ignore this and move on...

Heavy Axemen:

Hittite Levy Javelinmen:

Hittite Bowmen:

Hittite Guardsmen:

Hittite Provincial Chariots(placeholder model):

Provincial Levies:

Swordsmen:

Medium Swordsmen:

Anatolian Warriors:

Anatolian Noble Swordsmen:

Anatolian Mob:

Anatolian Levies:

Anatolian Tribal Slingers:

Anatolian Javelinmen:

Anatolian Archers:

Mercenaries:
    *many mercenaries are AoR units, but all the ones in this preview are avaliable already playable in the custom battle faction. They will also be unlockable faction units in the campaign*

Kizzuwatna Medium Infantry:

Arzawan Medium Spearmen:

This preview will hopefully be shortly followed by the Egypt preview, and the corresponding wallpapers and signatures. Action screenshots will appear in the Qadesh preview, so wait for that...

Credits:
    Greenyrepublic-models, textures
    ComradeKane-models, textures
    Arrowwolf/duckwolf2-models
    PunitorMaximus-models, textures, db, variantmeshes
    Dontfearme22-models, textures, variantmeshes
    Mount & Blade OSP project-models, textures
    Ltd: Support and Model Assistance
    Prince of Judah-research and motivation

Last edited by Dontfearme22; July 09, 2015 at 10:04 PM. Reason: fixed some formatting

Default Re: [Official AoB Preview #2] Hittites

HHNNNGGGG

Fantastic work!

Awesome!

You have brought back to life the glorious army of the hitites!
    Last edited by Rampante-Cid; July 09, 2015 at 09:44 AM.

Damn! If History Channel does not use your mod for cinematics then they gonna catch these hands

If this mod were a sausage it would be a mindbogglingly fantastic sausage.
    Art finds her own perfection within, and not outside of herself. She is not to be judged by any external standard of resemblance. She is a veil, rather than a mirror. -Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Jay the Byzantine View Post
    If this mod were a sausage it would be a mindbogglingly fantastic sausage.
    thanks..?0_O

UchihaMadara21's Avatar Tiro

Repeating such thing is completely redundant...but this looks amazing!!! Everytime you come up with these previews, my hype for this mod increases by 10.000. I don't now how, but when AoB gets released, i'll play 4 different campaigns simultaneously - Egypt, Hittite and Assyrian Empires and Mycenae (too many great cultures, i can't pick only one). Now that i've bought a new CPU, i'll finally be able to replicate Qasdesh with accurate numbers, hahaha!!!!

BTW, i was curious...what are the sources for the colors of the Hittite and Anatolian tunics? they look really good. And the units presented in this thread (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...eviews-Archive) will also be included?
    Last edited by UchihaMadara21; July 10, 2015 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UchihaMadara21 View Post
    Repeating such thing is completely redundant...but this looks amazing!!! Everytime you come up with these previews, my hype for this mod increases by 10.000. I don't now how, but when AoB gets released, i'll play 4 different campaigns simultaneously - Egypt, Hittite and Assyrian Empires and Mycenae (too many great cultures, i can't pick only one). Now that i've bought a new CPU, i'll finally be able to replicate Qasdesh with accurate numbers, hahaha!!!!

BTW, i was curious...what are the sources for the colors of the Hittite and Anatolian tunics? they look really good.
    The patterns are based off a large heap of hittites portrayed both in period art, such as the tiles of the foreigners, and modern illustrations such as from Osprey. The colors themselves are just the faction colors in the game itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontfearme22 View Post
    The patterns are based off a large heap of hittites portrayed both in period art, such as the tiles of the foreigners, and modern illustrations such as from Osprey. The colors themselves are just the faction colors in the game itself.
    Thanks for the info. Sorry, i've edited my post with another question; could you answer me, plz?

PunitorMaximus's Avatar TWTEAW Mod Leader

the ones in the archives are the old ones, we have updated them to make them more realistic. So far the main hittite units are all there.
    also some nothern anatolians will be recruitable for both the kaskians (=pontos region tribes) and the hittites. similar to the romans and celts sharing mercenaries. this is due to the fact that kaskian tribes were never really united and some sided with the hittites. only sometimes the gathered up and sent raiding armies from a few thousand up to 10k into hittite lands. they were always defeated though ^^

Thanks for the info. Sorry, i've edited my post with another question; could you answer me, plz?
    the archive is almost 100% outdated, hence being the "archive". Its just a byproduct of the development process.

So...no round shields for some infantry and dress-like scale armour for charioteers? inaccurate maybe?
    Last edited by UchihaMadara21; July 10, 2015 at 07:25 PM.

So...no round shields for some infantry and dress-like scale armour for charioteers? inaccurate maybe?
    Round shields is a no-no for any near eastern faction as far as i can tell, with the exception of a few scattered cases such as the sherden. The scale armor is accurate, but bronze age scale armor was of a different shape than the iron age scale armor you see. the straps were less common, although there are some cases, like in some light scale egyptian cuirasses. Its just a trade of a 70% accurate vanilla model for a 90-100% accurate custom model.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontfearme22 View Post
    Round shields is a no-no for any near eastern faction as far as i can tell, with the exception of a few scattered cases such as the sherden. The scale armor is accurate, but bronze age scale armor was of a different shape than the iron age scale armor you see. the straps were less common, although there are some cases, like in some light scale egyptian cuirasses. Its just a trade of a 70% accurate vanilla model for a 90-100% accurate custom model.
    Seems logical. I only asked this because you guys were discussing the historicity of round shields for the hittites months ago and i wanted to know what you have decided. About the armour, these should look right at 1500 - 1000 B.C. or they are just misconceptions (ignore the myceneans and sea people)?

Ritter-Floh's Avatar Artifex

this is legen - wait for it - DARY!!!!

Serious, this is a amazing work, very well done! +rep!

Quote Originally Posted by Ritter-Floh View Post
    this is legen - wait for it - DARY!!!!

Serious, this is a amazing work, very well done! +rep!
    https://ohsknows.files.wordpress.com...-1920-2560.jpg

And to answer on a more serious note UchihaMadaras question, it appears from all the sources ive seen round shields were absent in any lba empire until after 1100-1000 bc, but by that point the lba world was in total freefall.

The exceptions appear to be of a european origin, mycenaeans used round shields, and the sherden might have been mycenaean or from some other source entirely. That image you linked is to my eyes almost wholly historically accurate. Any round shields in the lba near east before then might have been simple hide shields used infrequently by nomadic groups, but certainly not in a larger historical context for any major states.

That should settle this discussion, thank you again for the info.

P.S. - i'm still working on that soundtrack proposal; might be able to post something on the dedicated thread soon.

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Amazing, if this mod was a potato it would be a mindbogglingly fantastic potato . About recruitment will it be so that you can only have a limited number of Hittite or elite Hittite units and will have to rely on your provincial (inferior?) subjects to some part or get destroyed?

Quote Originally Posted by Linke View Post
    Amazing, if this mod was a potato it would be a mindbogglingly fantastic potato . About recruitment will it be so that you can only have a limited number of Hittite or elite Hittite units and will have to rely on your provincial (inferior?) subjects to some part or get destroyed?
    Thats the idea, we are waiting on Pikestance to lay out the basic campaign before we get crazy. We want to replicate the highly conglomerate nature of the Hittite military.