Thank you very much!

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

Default Re: Bretonnia - infantry

They look great Crociato, love the overall look/colors of them. +1

Domesticus

Thank you very much! too good!

This is great work! One minor suggestion I have is to give the halberd heads some more variations, like billhook, glaive-guisarme, fauchard, warscythe, and pitchfork. That way they don't have such a uniform appearance, as canonically the only things they were given by their lords were their shields and heraldry, and the rest they had to cobble together on their own, if I recall correctly. Check out pictures of the models and sprues to see what I mean.

Real world polearm heads could have lots of minor variation even within the same armory, with things like the spiky bit at the back curving down on one, up on another, sticking out far on yet another, etc. Even just duplicating and tweaking around the heads you already have, you could get 8 variations with 20 minutes of easy work for a big visual improvement, IMO.
    Last edited by WhiffOfGrapeshot; July 23, 2015 at 07:34 AM.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

I agree with you WhiffOfGrapeshot. Here are the other heraldry of each Province plus all the minor lords from each province heraldry:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Domesticus

I already have the pdf file.

I have to go do other stuff first.

I have a problem!

Domesticus

Hello everyone!

I have to make changes to units created.

Edit groups with Milkshape 1.8.4.

Then I try to make sure to add shields and body with the heraldry of other noble 6 of Couronne.

Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Kahvipannu View Post
    They look great Crociato, love the overall look/colors of them. +1

Yes, I dislike units for Bretonnia quite colorful (no exaggeration).

Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by WhiffOfGrapeshot View Post
    This is great work! One minor suggestion I have is to give the halberd heads some more variations, like billhook, glaive-guisarme, fauchard, warscythe, and pitchfork. That way they don't have such a uniform appearance, as canonically the only things they were given by their lords were their shields and heraldry, and the rest they had to cobble together on their own, if I recall correctly. Check out pictures of the models and sprues to see what I mean.

Real world polearm heads could have lots of minor variation even within the same armory, with things like the spiky bit at the back curving down on one, up on another, sticking out far on yet another, etc. Even just duplicating and tweaking around the heads you already have, you could get 8 variations with 20 minutes of easy work for a big visual improvement, IMO.
    Yes I agree.

I have to change models. I'll start later work.

Would you be able to change halberds (as you say)?

Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by paradamed View Post
    I agree with you WhiffOfGrapeshot.
    Yes, I agree.

If I make 14 (for each province of Bretonnia) Men-at-arms with the heraldry of the Lord and the Lords minors.

My units will be used for future versions with the map of old world (with the Bretonnia)?

If units are only for custom battles, calculating two men-at-arms for each province and all other units. There will be room in version 1.6?

No, there isn't enough room to make that many separate units, or factions. 2 Men-at-arms (1 sword, 1 halberd) with a few variations within the unit is about all that's really doable right now. Only 1 Bretonnia faction, so no reskins for multiple subfactions, like all the Empire factions.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

I agree. I would stick to a basic roster with a spearmen unit, swordsmen, archers and a crew for the trebuchet. If they meet the expectations of the team there are big chances they could be included in an official release as many of the submods in this section have been.

Viva Espana!'s Avatar Semisalis

Beautifully done. Now, if only the map extended to Bretonnia! (and Estalia and Tilea and Araby. >.>)
    "To admit defeat, is to commit a heresy against the Emperor." - Imperial Proverb.
    "Well... that was unexpected." - Last words of Chaos Lord Ulakar the Undefeatable.

Quote Originally Posted by paradamed View Post
    I agree. I would stick to a basic roster with a spearmen unit, swordsmen, archers and a crew for the trebuchet. If they meet the expectations of the team there are big chances they could be included in an official release as many of the submods in this section have been.
    Yeah, there's Grail Knights, Questing Knights, Knights Errant, and a Paladin already in the game, which could be expanded on with more hero models for the campaign (Green Knight, Fay Enchantress, Damsels, etc.). Men-At-Arms, Peasant Bowmen, Trebuchet, and maybe Battle Pilgrims would be good to round out the roster. If including Battle Pilgrims, perhaps Men-At-Arms could be only with halberds and officers with swords, saving the sword and shield combo for Battle Pilgrims.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva Espana! View Post
    Beautifully done. Now, if only the map extended to Bretonnia! (and Estalia and Tilea and Araby. >.>)
    The current plan for COW is the version after the next one will include an expanded map going further South.

Oh fudge... I hate to have to do this, the units are truly beautiful...

You can't use a halberd with a shield *unless it is somehow strapped to your shoulder, which doesn't appear to be on the model*, especially not pavises. Halberds require both hands to be used effectively.
    Take a look at the mod's Empire Halberdier unit. The team did it properly - the soldiers hold the halberd with both hands, while a shield is strapped to their shoulder. Also, if the shield is set that way, it shouldn't be too big.

I know I know, this is fantasy, but still, it bugs me.

Swordsmen are fine.
    Last edited by Rad; August 04, 2015 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crociato78 View Post
    Screenshots:

Men at arms with halberd (first version)

I'm going to create all Men at Arms for each province.

These guys are well made and my previous comment doesn't apply to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Crociato78 View Post

Maybe give These guys a spear instead of a halberd?

Viva Espana!'s Avatar Semisalis

Regarding the halberd issue -- what if you imagine they're using Billhooks? Could billhooks be used with a shield? I know they were very similar to halberds, but they were essentially farming implements converted into weapons with less weight at the end. Maybe I'm wrong.
    "To admit defeat, is to commit a heresy against the Emperor." - Imperial Proverb.
    "Well... that was unexpected." - Last words of Chaos Lord Ulakar the Undefeatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva Espana! View Post
    Regarding the halberd issue -- what if you imagine they're using Billhooks? Could billhooks be used with a shield? I know they were very similar to halberds, but they were essentially farming implements converted into weapons with less weight at the end. Maybe I'm wrong.
    Billhooks and halberds require chopping motions to attack. With most of the weight being at end of the weapon, it would be extremely awkward to do it with just one hand.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast