Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion about the ents, spiders and wolves crashes.

Default Re: We need your help in collecting data about the ents, spiders and wolves crashes! please read the first post of this thread before replying

I'm giving it one last shot as I speak (well, write ) and will keep you posted!

Default Re: We need your help in collecting data about the ents, spiders and wolves crashes! please read the first post of this thread before replying

Good news! I got the Windows 7 install working correctly and even got the game installed (well actually I just ran it from the same directory I always do (i.e. on my other disk)) and it worked like a charm. I had a 20 spider units versus 20 ents units battle and it didn't crash. After that, I decided to raise the stakes and played a 4v4 custom battle with 20 wolves, 20 wargs, 20 spiders, 20 trolls, 20 ents, 20 something and 20 something and another 20 something and despite of the whole battle playing terribly slow it worked. I got no quriky behaviour from the game, no stuttering and of course no crashes. HOWEVER, there is ONE tiny catch. The labeling on my Windows 7 install discs got mixed up; meaning that I installed the 32-bit version instead of the 64-bit version of Windows 7 Professional Edition. That's why I'm going to reinstall Windows 7 one more time (the right one this time) to test if the same can be said of Windows 7 64-bit.

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

You are doing a very good job, Sir. Even though I fear we still won't be able to solve this any time soon, this is exactly the kind of info I was hoping to see coming from this thread. Well, let's see what the 64 bit test will bring.
    At least you will have a way to play with Ents, Wolves and Spiders no matter what happens.

Please rep this guy, folks. I can't do it again for a while at least.

Also a big thanks to everybody who has contributed thus far. And of course it is still useful to see new reports being posted.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

"Status Update"

It seems as if the previous Windows 7 32-bit System Partition "hardcoded" itself onto the hard drive and the 64-bit dvd won't initiate the installation process, even after a quick format (telling me I don't have the required space). So I'm doing a full disk format, hoping this will remove any leftover traces like system partitioning from the previous Windows 7 installation so that I can install the 64-bit version as soon as possible (Is this even logical? If any tech savvy person among you has a better solution, please do share it with me!). As most of you know, this takes a while, but I will soon install the 64-bit OS and get the game running.

If everything goes as planned, I'm even willing to capture my progress with Fraps or ShadowPlay and upload it to Youtube. However I'm not quite there yet .

Quote Originally Posted by nm4991 View Post
    "Status Update"

It seems as if the previous Windows 7 32-bit System Partition "hardcoded" itself onto the hard drive and the 64-bit dvd won't initiate the installation process, even after a quick format (telling me I don't have the required space). So I'm doing a full disk format, hoping this will remove any leftover traces like system partitioning from the previous Windows 7 installation so that I can install the 64-bit version as soon as possible (Is this even logical? If any tech savvy person among you has a better solution, please do share it with me!). As most of you know, this takes a while, but I will soon install the 64-bit OS and get the game running.

If everything goes as planned, I'm even willing to capture my progress with Fraps or ShadowPlay and upload it to Youtube. However I'm not quite there yet .
    It shouldn't matter if you use win 7 32-bit or 64-bit, M2TW only runs in 32-bit. I have never installed a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit system before so I can't help you with that. A message should have popped up and told you it wasn't compatible and made you use the 64-bit.

I have fought many 4v4 battles (I even have the setup saved) with Giant Bats, Spiders, Wolves, Wargs, Bears, and many different drake units (those with the highest unit numbers). I also tried to make it crash in the beginning by doing all sorts of stuff that caused stress on the game engine (clicking and moving the camera around a lot right before/after pressing start battle) and my system. I don't get crashes anymore after making many edits to the BAI script.

Are you testing on vanilla TATW? Can you upload your custom battle script?

Also for the campaign it would be good to set up a 20v20 (or more) battle on turn 1 to test a few times. Tyee didn't get crashes in custom battles either but did get 3 in the campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Veteraan View Post
    Thanks, that is a lot of info.

In TATW and it's submods only Ents, Spiders and Wolves regularly crash for a part of the players. These 3 units are all based on the same model. So Mumakil, Balrogs and other mounts should not cause problems for anybody.

I don't know what model is used for the DAC units "Great Beasts" and "Blog's Champions", perhaps someone who does can tell if they share the same base model as Ents, Spiders and Wolves.

Perhaps alreadyded can shed some light on your Dagor Ennor results. I suspect at least the Ent types should have crashed if you would have the crash problem that is described here. Perhaps you can test the Ents with a full stack (20 units) of them in battle. Preferably in vanilla TATW if you have that available.
    Thanks for trying.
    It seems Tyees results are a bit "inconclusive", at least to me.
    Therefore it would still be very useful to see this tested on a dual boot as it will give us a result for two different Windows versions on exactly the same hardware. But if you can't get it to work properly than leave it. I would hate to see you ruining your main setup because of this.
    The Balrog uses the same code as Ents so it should be causing random crashes.

The BAI in my mod is heavily modified, but the problem was also much more "pronounced" since I have many mounts, some with large unit sizes. I would say Tyee's research is fairly conclusive. The crashes are certainly less than they used to be before I modified the BAI. So the question that remains to me is whether that is true for those using Win vista/8+? I am guessing the answer is no. Personally I think it has to do with processing power caused by the BAI script for all mounts, more so for those with larger numbers. Apparently the Win 7 environment allows the game to cope with this while the rest cannot. That is just a theory with some support though, it could totally be lots of other things. There are compatibility mods for vista/8+ that make them run more like XP and Win 7, might be worth a try to those that get crashes a lot. Just remember to make a system restore point before using them and there is no risk other than potentially wasting your time.
    Last edited by alreadyded; July 31, 2015 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    It shouldn't matter if you use win 7 32-bit or 64-bit, M2TW only runs in 32-bit. I have never installed a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit system before so I can't help you with that. A message should have popped up and told you it wasn't compatible and made you use the 64-bit.

I have fought many 4v4 battles (I even have the setup saved) with Giant Bats, Spiders, Wolves, Wargs, Bears, and many different drake units (those with the highest unit numbers). I also tried to make it crash in the beginning by doing all sorts of stuff that caused stress on the game engine (clicking and moving the camera around a lot right before/after pressing start battle) and my system. I don't get crashes anymore after making many edits to the BAI script.

Are you testing on vanilla TATW? Can you upload your custom battle script?

Also for the campaign it would be good to set up a 20v20 (or more) battle on turn 1 to test a few times. Tyee didn't get crashes in custom battles either but did get 3 in the campaign.
    Yeah, so much for Microsoft Customer Support I guess? Still formatting by the way.

I was testing on MOS 1.7 (Sadly it doesn't have drakes in custom battles (if I recall correctly)). And Giant Bats? What mods are you playing? Those sound awesome.

I'll test it with multiple mods if you want. Nevertheless, I have no idea how to extract a custom battle script, nor do I know what it is actually If you tell me how, I'll provide though. I also didn't tend to play campaigns anymore because of the spiders. Last campaign with Mirkwood was ruined by those pesky creatures; but once I get everything up and running, I'll try some more extended playthroughs. Not sure how you can get 20 Great Spider units by turn 1 though, unless you would use the console

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

The crashes are certainly less than they used to be before I modified the BAI. So the question that remains to me is whether that is true for those using Win vista/8+? I am guessing the answer is no. Personally I think it has to do with processing power caused by the BAI script for all mounts, more so for those with larger numbers.
    Often the crash happens while the battle is still loading. I think that rules out G5's BAI of being the single culprit, especially in custom battles where it is not activated until the player clicks the advisor in the battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    Often the crash happens while the battle is still loading. I think that rules out G5's BAI of being the single culprit, especially in custom battles where it is not activated until the player clicks the advisor in the battle.
    The crashes I am referring to are the ones I used to experience myself and have been reported for my mod (no other mods and very different from vanilla); which only happened within about 5-10 seconds after hitting start battle and especially if I panned the camera a lot to put more stress on it. These are the only ones I fixed by editing G5's BAI. One time I changed things in the BAI a certain way and these crashes stopped happening at the start and began to occur after clicking end battle instead.

I have never had to click the adviser, it is automatically clicked as the battle starts.

If it crashes while loading that is completely different. Crashes while loading often have to do with descr_geo_new or modeldb coding/parsing, or loading files (this can be a big problem with vista/8+), or ... well quite few others, many of which are OS dependent and sometimes it is just random because the game engine itself wigs out (I could tell you some stories). The BAI doesn't even kick in until you click start battle I think, though it is parsed right before that I have never seen that cause a crash and can't imagine how it could. Can scripts even cause a CTD while loading in this game?

Edit; That raises a valid question though, are we talking about crashing while loading or crashes in the battle? I was under the assumption we were specifically discussing the latter.
    Last edited by alreadyded; August 01, 2015 at 04:28 AM.

It shouldn't matter if you use win 7 32-bit or 64-bit, M2TW only runs in 32-bit.(...)
    Yes, "it shouldn't".

The Balrog uses the same code as Ents so it should be causing random crashes.
    Is that exactly the same code/model? If yes then I should try some 20 Balrog units battles.
    (...) I would say Tyee's research is fairly conclusive.(...)
    It is certainly interesting, but he speaks of two different builds and in regards to the problem his findings are not at all like that as most (if not all) people who reported about it before. The most obvious difference being that he reports never to have had crashes with Ents at all.

True, especially when full stacks are present, the crash usually comes very quickly in custom battle before, or right after loading. No chance to click anything.

I did not know that clicking the advisor in custom battle would activate the BAI. I suppose for testing purposes that can be useful.
    I do always close the advisor, does that also activate it?
    And would closing the advisor deacivate a running BAI in custom battle?

Quote Originally Posted by nm4991 View Post
    Yeah, so much for Microsoft Customer Support I guess? Still formatting by the way.

I was testing on MOS 1.7 (Sadly it doesn't have drakes in custom battles (if I recall correctly)). And Giant Bats? What mods are you playing? Those sound awesome.

I'll test it with multiple mods if you want. Nevertheless, I have no idea how to extract a custom battle script, nor do I know what it is actually If you tell me how, I'll provide though. I also didn't tend to play campaigns anymore because of the spiders. Last campaign with Mirkwood was ruined by those pesky creatures; but once I get everything up and running, I'll try some more extended playthroughs. Not sure how you can get 20 Great Spider units by turn 1 though, unless you would use the console
    I only use my own mod, my sig should link to it though I haven't clicked it in a long time myself so I don't know.

I, or many others, can make some quick changes to your descr_strat file to set up a string of battles that can be fought right away for testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Veteraan
    Don't quote me on it but I believe that clicking the portrait activates (begins) the script and clicking the red cross just dismisses the advisor without starting the script. That's certainly how advisor scripts behave in the campaign map.

Note that the advisor is used for BAI only in custom battles. For campaign battles BAI has a different script built into campaign_script; the advisor does nothing for campaign battles.

As far as I know: if you don't click the advisor portrait then it's as though the BAI script isn't even there. I do believe it is read by the game before then (as alreadyded said) but not started.

Edit; That raises a valid question though, are we talking about crashing while loading or crashes in the battle? I was under the assumption we were specifically discussing the latter.
    I thought it was any and all.

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded
    Can scripts even cause a CTD while loading in this game?
    Not sure but I didn't think that reading a script would cause a CTD. Only when they actually try to do something, I would have thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Veteraan View Post
    Yes, "it shouldn't".

Is that exactly the same code/model? If yes then I should try some 20 Balrog units battles.
    It is certainly interesting, but he speaks of two different builds and in regards to the problem his findings are not at all like that as most (if not all) people who reported about it before. The most obvious difference being that he reports never to have had crashes with Ents at all.

True, especially when full stacks are present, the crash usually comes very quickly in custom battle before, or right after loading. No chance to click anything.

I did not know that clicking the advisor in custom battle would activate the BAI. I suppose for testing purposes that can be useful.
    In descr_mount they are the same, in modeldb practically the same, in edu very similar. The actual models are of course dramtically different but as far as the game engine is concerned it is no different than swordsmen or axemen, only with elephants.

The spider animations are of course far more complex to understand (and quite ingenious if I do say so myself) but even they are simple once you understand them. How the game sees these units is quite different as was intended, but they are still coded as elephants in descr_mount and have similar code in modeldb.

As far as clicking the adviser the first lines in my script are;
    Code:
    script

declare_show_me
    dismiss_advice
    select_ui_element advisor_portrait_button
    simulate_mouse_click lclick_up
    So yours should be the same I would guess so I haven't the slightest clue as to why you would ever have to click it. What mod are you playing? Like I said I use a heavily modified version so it may not be the same as most of you, also I use the exact same (literally copy/paste) script in campaigns and custom battles in my mod.

As far as crashes while loading I have never had any from any units with Win 7 Ult 64-bit (slightly customized).

Edit; I just thought of something, the latest G5 BAI came out after the last TATW update so many mods may have simply messed up in incorporating G5's newest BAI and the Switcher as well. I seriously doubt any of them knew what they were doing, that script (many scripts that cover many different situations on many different levels) is quite insane. I have a good understanding of the higher level functions but the lower level stuff is just too numerous to spend any time on and I don't know how much of it was just copy/pasted/edited, a lot I assume. Might have to split those scripts up and compare them in winmerge one of these days...
    Last edited by alreadyded; August 01, 2015 at 05:19 AM.

My script looks the same (vanilla TATW 3.2) but the advisor doesn't dismiss/activate itself: the advisor is still visible. As soon as I do click his portrait I often see the AI start to behave in a different way, e.g. start to walk in a different direction.

I suggest taking BAI out of the equation altogether by renaming the file data\scripts\show_me\G5Script2.txt to something else (in the VirtualStore too, if it's there). Again, this will only affect custom battles. If the CTDs persist then BAI wasn't the cause.

My script looks the same (vanilla TATW 3.2) but the advisor doesn't dismiss/activate itself: the advisor is still visible. As soon as I do click his portrait I often see the AI start to behave in a different way, e.g. start to walk in a different direction.

I suggest taking BAI out of the equation altogether by renaming the file data\scripts\show_me\G5Script2.txt to something else (in the VirtualStore too, if it's there). Again, this will only affect custom battles. If the CTDs persist then BAI wasn't the cause.
    For me my BAI acts different from the start, always placing their army on the high ground or near it and moving there right away when defending. When attacking they spawn up close. In custom battles I always leave both sides as the attackers so the AI spawns up close and attack right away. If I set them to defend they spawn on or near high ground as in campaign. So theoretically you should be able to test this click thing by setting the AI to defend in custom battles and see if they spawn on/by the high ground or spawn in the middle and run there before/after you click the adviser.

Vanilla 3.2 has an older version of G5's BAI, maybe the feature didn't work properly then? I only played vanilla tatw on 1.2 or 1.3 I think so I don't know much about it.
    Last edited by alreadyded; August 01, 2015 at 05:32 AM.

In descr_mount they are the same, in modeldb practically the same, in edu very similar. The actual models are of course dramtically different but as far as the game engine is concerned it is no different than swordsmen or axemen, only with elephants.
    Okay, some full stack Balrog testing coming up then.
    (...) I would guess so I haven't the slightest clue as to why you would ever have to click it. What mod are you playing? Like I said I use a heavily modified version so it may not be the same as most of you, also I use the exact same (literally copy/paste) script in campaigns and custom battles in my mod.(...)
    The only reason I click the advisor until now in custom battle is to close it.
    I tested with Vanilla TATW and MOS 1.70.

I will rename that script as I don't really care about BAI in custom battle anyway. I only use it for testing and screenshot and video captures.
    Last edited by Veteraan; August 01, 2015 at 02:45 PM.

Right, I renamed the G5Script2.txt, started a custom game and got a crash. This was in windowed mode by the way, borderless window to be exact. I did not know that was even possible, but a couple of days ago this is how my standard (disk version) TATW/mod games start. I can only play full screen if I do it as administrator.

The game still crashing was as I expected as this was something I tested earlier in some campaign battles (with instructions from twmatador on how to achieve that). I did however succeed every time in getting as far as the battle screen, but it will take some more tries to see if that will last.

I stand corrected about the Balrog, I did have some crashes when trying to play with 8 of them at the same time, although I managed to end one battle successfully. Also a few of the crashed came very early, but I could not tell if the battle screen already had loaded. Might try that again with video capture active.

Need crash logs with trace enabled, these reports are way too vague and everyone is probably using many different files.

You guys are dealing with many various crashes here it sounds like (which I have never experienced). The unit models and animations should never cause crashes unless the game engine wigs out and looks for them in the wrong place while loading (restarting your PC fixes this 99.9% of the time). Missing unit textures should not cause a crash either. It is possible that one of the animations files got corrupted but this should cause a crash every time for everyone not randomly for some. Bottom line is your game should never crash before the battle is loaded. Even then it shouldn't crash, only after pressing start battle have I ever gotten a crash and it was always within about 10 seconds after.
    Last edited by alreadyded; August 01, 2015 at 04:04 PM.

I know what the unit files should not do and what many people see them do none the less it seems. However, since it is a small effort to provide a trace enabled log file I am more than happy to oblige.

This is from MOS 1.70, custom battle with Ents, Spiders and Wolves. GBAI not disabled, but that should not have loaded as the game crashed before the first battle screen could appear or maybe just as it was appearing. Also I restarted the computer just before doing this test to avoid "corrupt files". This is the last part of the logfile, if you want the whole thing I can attach it.

If you are interested to look at more crash logs, I am willing to install your mod just for this purpose and test play a bit more. I can imagine it would be easier for you to assess logs from Dagor Ennor.

Log:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    23:41:47.680 [system.io] [trace] pack data(),,data/ui/indicators/arrows/new arrow down/arro1026.tga,,,65580
    23:41:47.680 [system.io] [trace] pack close,,data/ui/indicators/arrows/new arrow down/arro1026.tga,,,-65580
    23:41:47.729 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Third_Age_3/data/models/textures/arrow_red.tga
    23:41:47.729 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/models/textures/arrow_red.tga.dds,,not found
    23:41:47.729 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/localized.pack,data/models/textures/arrow_red.tga.dds,,not found
    23:41:47.729 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_1.pack,data/models/textures/arrow_red.tga.dds,,not found
    23:41:47.729 [system.io] [warning] open: data/models/textures/arrow_red.tga.dds is missing
    23:41:47.730 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/models/textures/arrow_red.tga,,not found
    23:41:47.730 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/localized.pack,data/models/textures/arrow_red.tga,,not found
    23:41:47.730 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_1.pack,data/models/textures/arrow_red.tga,4124
    23:41:47.730 [system.io] [info] open: found data/models/textures/arrow_red.tga (from: packs/data_1.pack)
    23:41:47.730 [system.io] [trace] pack data(),,data/models/textures/arrow_red.tga,,,4124
    23:41:47.730 [system.io] [trace] pack close,,data/models/textures/arrow_red.tga,,,-4124
    23:41:47.730 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Third_Age_3/data/models/textures/vertex_pointer.tga
    23:41:47.730 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/models/textures/vertex_pointer.tga.dds,,not found
    23:41:47.731 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/localized.pack,data/models/textures/vertex_pointer.tga.dds,,not found
    23:41:47.731 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_1.pack,data/models/textures/vertex_pointer.tga.dds,,not found
    23:41:47.731 [system.io] [warning] open: data/models/textures/vertex_pointer.tga.dds is missing
    23:41:47.731 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/models/textures/vertex_pointer.tga,,not found
    23:41:47.731 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/localized.pack,data/models/textures/vertex_pointer.tga,,not found
    23:41:47.731 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_1.pack,data/models/textures/vertex_pointer.tga,1052
    23:41:47.731 [system.io] [info] open: found data/models/textures/vertex_pointer.tga (from: packs/data_1.pack)
    23:41:47.731 [system.io] [trace] pack data(),,data/models/textures/vertex_pointer.tga,,,1052
    23:41:47.732 [system.io] [trace] pack close,,data/models/textures/vertex_pointer.tga,,,-1052
    23:41:47.732 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Third_Age_3/data/models/textures/waypoint_marker.tga
    23:41:47.732 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/models/textures/waypoint_marker.tga.dds,,not found
    23:41:47.732 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/localized.pack,data/models/textures/waypoint_marker.tga.dds,,not found
    23:41:47.732 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_1.pack,data/models/textures/waypoint_marker.tga.dds,,not found
    23:41:47.732 [system.io] [warning] open: data/models/textures/waypoint_marker.tga.dds is missing
    23:41:47.732 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/models/textures/waypoint_marker.tga,,not found
    23:41:47.732 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/localized.pack,data/models/textures/waypoint_marker.tga,,not found
    23:41:47.732 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_1.pack,data/models/textures/waypoint_marker.tga,65556
    23:41:47.732 [system.io] [info] open: found data/models/textures/waypoint_marker.tga (from: packs/data_1.pack)
    23:41:47.733 [system.io] [trace] pack data(),,data/models/textures/waypoint_marker.tga,,,65556
    23:41:47.733 [system.io] [trace] pack close,,data/models/textures/waypoint_marker.tga,,,-65556
    23:41:47.733 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Third_Age_3/data/textures/battlefield_border.tga
    23:41:47.734 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/textures/battlefield_border.tga.dds,,not found
    23:41:47.734 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_2.pack,data/textures/battlefield_border.tga.dds,,not found
    23:41:47.734 [system.io] [warning] open: data/textures/battlefield_border.tga.dds is missing
    23:41:47.734 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/textures/battlefield_border.tga,,not found
    23:41:47.734 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_2.pack,data/textures/battlefield_border.tga,65580
    23:41:47.734 [system.io] [info] open: found data/textures/battlefield_border.tga (from: packs/data_2.pack)
    23:41:47.735 [system.io] [trace] pack data(),,data/textures/battlefield_border.tga,,,65580
    23:41:47.735 [system.io] [trace] pack close,,data/textures/battlefield_border.tga,,,-65580
    23:41:47.735 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Third_Age_3/data/textures/deployment_area_border.tga
    23:41:47.735 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/textures/deployment_area_border.tga.dds,,not found
    23:41:47.735 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_2.pack,data/textures/deployment_area_border.tga.dds,,not found
    23:41:47.735 [system.io] [warning] open: data/textures/deployment_area_border.tga.dds is missing
    23:41:47.735 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/textures/deployment_area_border.tga,,not found
    23:41:47.735 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_2.pack,data/textures/deployment_area_border.tga,65554
    23:41:47.735 [system.io] [info] open: found data/textures/deployment_area_border.tga (from: packs/data_2.pack)
    23:41:47.736 [system.io] [trace] pack data(),,data/textures/deployment_area_border.tga,,,65554
    23:41:47.736 [system.io] [trace] pack close,,data/textures/deployment_area_border.tga,,,-65554
    23:41:47.736 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Third_Age_3/data/textures/#splash_ring.tga
    23:41:47.736 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/textures/#splash_ring.tga.dds,,not found
    23:41:47.736 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_2.pack,data/textures/#splash_ring.tga.dds,,not found
    23:41:47.736 [system.io] [warning] open: data/textures/#splash_ring.tga.dds is missing
    23:41:47.736 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/textures/#splash_ring.tga,,not found
    23:41:47.736 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_2.pack,data/textures/#splash_ring.tga,16428
    23:41:47.737 [system.io] [info] open: found data/textures/#splash_ring.tga (from: packs/data_2.pack)
    23:41:47.737 [system.io] [trace] pack data(),,data/textures/#splash_ring.tga,,,16428
    23:41:47.737 [system.io] [trace] pack close,,data/textures/#splash_ring.tga,,,-16428
    23:41:47.737 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Third_Age_3/data/textures/#water_drop.tga
    23:41:47.737 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/textures/#water_drop.tga.dds,,not found
    23:41:47.737 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_2.pack,data/textures/#water_drop.tga.dds,,not found
    23:41:47.737 [system.io] [warning] open: data/textures/#water_drop.tga.dds is missing
    23:41:47.737 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/textures/#water_drop.tga,,not found
    23:41:47.737 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_2.pack,data/textures/#water_drop.tga,16428
    23:41:47.738 [system.io] [info] open: found data/textures/#water_drop.tga (from: packs/data_2.pack)
    23:41:47.738 [system.io] [trace] pack data(),,data/textures/#water_drop.tga,,,16428
    23:41:47.738 [system.io] [trace] pack close,,data/textures/#water_drop.tga,,,-16428
    23:41:47.738 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Third_Age_3/data/textures/#weather.tga
    23:41:47.738 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/textures/#weather.tga.dds,,not found
    23:41:47.738 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_2.pack,data/textures/#weather.tga.dds,,not found
    23:41:47.738 [system.io] [warning] open: data/textures/#weather.tga.dds is missing
    23:41:47.739 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/textures/#weather.tga,,not found
    23:41:47.739 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_2.pack,data/textures/#weather.tga,262188
    23:41:47.739 [system.io] [info] open: found data/textures/#weather.tga (from: packs/data_2.pack)
    23:41:47.739 [system.io] [trace] pack data(),,data/textures/#weather.tga,,,262188
    23:41:47.741 [system.io] [trace] pack close,,data/textures/#weather.tga,,,-262188
    23:41:50.389 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Third_Age_3/data/PreBattleCameras.xml
    23:41:50.390 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/PreBattleCameras.xml,,not found
    23:41:50.390 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/localized.pack,data/PreBattleCameras.xml,,not found
    23:41:50.390 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_1.pack,data/PreBattleCameras.xml,3953
    23:41:50.390 [system.io] [info] open: found data/PreBattleCameras.xml (from: packs/data_1.pack)
    23:41:50.391 [system.io] [trace] pack close,,data/prebattlecameras.xml,,,-3953
    23:41:50.392 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Third_Age_3/data/cameras
    23:41:50.392 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/cameras/Battlefield_Pan_Left.cam,,not found
    23:41:50.392 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_0.pack,data/cameras/Battlefield_Pan_Left.cam,13411
    23:41:50.392 [system.io] [info] open: found data/cameras/Battlefield_Pan_Left.cam (from: packs/data_0.pack)
    23:41:50.395 [system.io] [trace] pack close,,data/cameras/battlefield_pan_left.cam,,,-13411
    23:41:50.684 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

(So I assume the custom battle scripts aren't to blame?)

After a dreadful installation process (about 15 install attempts and 3 days of cursing (All caused by a FAULTY DVD! ) I finally managed to get my Windows 7 Professional 64-bit installation running () AND I tried playing a custom battle of Spiders against Ents (20v20). Everything worked out fine. No issues whatsoever. As promised, I captured the whole "happening" with Shadowplay and uploaded it to Youtube; just as proof/some kind of catharsis/???. Enjoy (Warning: the battle is dull as and the sound is kind of mangled-ish)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y1ojfU99JE

Now, I know this is only a Custom Battle and that this doesn't mean the game is fixed at all, however, I'm willing to take this further and test all kinds of setups (Campaign battles, Vanilla TATW, Any other major submod of TATW, etc...) and I'm also willing to provide any kind of useful information or files or scripts. I've got through all this trouble so I might as well do it right for the sake of completeness and for the sake of all the effort that got into this

(An amount of effort that is however nothing compared to the skillful programming and modding that it took to create the masterpieces that are TATW and MOS )

PS: Had trouble inserting the video. That's why there are three embedded windows and a link, just to make sure I didn't screw up.