Thread: Is there a mod for a more realistic campaign?

Default Is there a mod for a more realistic campaign?

What I mean is, all the TW campaigns set unrealistic victory conditions for factions, even when playing "historical".

Just to give one example, as an Austrian I have to break virtually every natural alliance against the main enemy Napoleon to fulfil the winning conditions. I also have to break peace with the Osmanic empire to capture the Balkans, which is highly unrealistic for the period in question.

Same goes for every other faction. I had one game where I had the Russians all over the place, setting up shop in Germany and Switzerland of all places. I had the Spanish land in Croatia and I had Switzerland getting expansive.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Is there a mod for a more realistic campaign?

Problem is: what reallistic victory conditions would you give, that could give some real interesting game play?

I seem to remember a mod for Medieval TW, or Medieval 2 - not sure - where they actually broke down the provinces to smaller administrative units. That way the campaign stayed interesting because you didn't have to be all over the place but had to go through several steps to get control over even one province. Not sure if that is even possible with the 3d maps they use these days, but that approach kept things interesting even though you didn't have to create monster armies at every corner of the world.

Also, I'm not a modder, but it would be nice if the AI actually set up protectorates instead of wholesale capture. That's what the French actually did in reality. So, invading, but instead of staying there, create an allied nation that provides you with troops and resources. Again, not sure if coding that kind of behavior is even possible.

In short, for me it would be interesting if there was more historicity to the campaign.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Map editing is not possible, and the victory conditions are very limited. Basically, the regions you have to control (either a total number, or specific named region).
    I don't think is it possible to count a protectorate as a victory condition

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Map editing is not possible, and the victory conditions are very limited. Basically, the regions you have to control (either a total number, or specific named region).
    I don't think is it possible to count a protectorate as a victory condition
    Correct me if I"m wrong, but I thought protectorates definitely counted as provinces controlled for a victory condition... though there was no distinction between occupying a province and making it a protectorate. One the biggest historical inaccuracies is actually occupying the cities of major powers ... while this is somewhat accurate during wartime, during peacetime it isn't - (e.g., its not realisitc Austria would let the French occupy Vienna after being defeated and forced to sign a peace treaty) It would be much more realistic if they maintained control but you would basically force them into a peace treaty which they would have to honor for a certain period of time, and possibly have to contribute to your treasury. In addition, perhaps the defeated nation would suffer some penallties like limiting the army size durng that same period

A more realistic victory condition for the French would be not necessarily conquest, but acquiring an alliance with the major powers except Great Britain (namely Austria, Prussia, Russia), as well as Spain, Portugal and Italy being "uncontested". Though there is no mechanic in the game for these victory conditions, and I've never had anything happen with Spain/Portugal

Protectorates do count as a victory condition, and as an alternative to conquering things, you may be able to purchase the territories from their owning factions; for example, as Prussia, I bought Bohemia from Austria, set up protectorates of Saxony, Oldenburg, Mecklenburg, and the like. Semi-realistic, but not a very likely candidate for full realism.