Thread: If indeed some type of joined-primes does stop at some point, why would it?

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Default If indeed some type of joined-primes does stop at some point, why would it?

In the context of stuff about primes, such as the famous question about whether some type [eg so-called 'twin primes', primes that differ from each other only by a dyad (2), as in 11 and 13, 17 and 19 etc ], i have been occasionally thinking of this question.
    Intuitively i would guess (no proof) that no kind of type of tied-primes ever stops in the infinite progression of positive integers. But supposing that some type or types would, Why would that happen? And what would it mean for such a progression?

Feel free to discuss, you may end up helping me get the much needed 1 million dollar prize for this math issue

(and i will share it with you in such a case, i am not a miser )
    Last edited by Kyriakos; July 04, 2015 at 05:01 AM.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Default Re: If indeed some type of joined-primes does stop at some point, why would it?

Recently i heard of Zhang's (a relatively unknown mathematician) paper which (supposedly?) proves a very weakened tied theory on the twin primes. Namely it is reported to show that "there are infinitely many pairs of primes that differ more than a number of 70 million between them". That means that if prime A and prime B are a pair of primes, prime B is prime A + 70.000.000, and infinite such pairs form for numbers larger than that.

Of course the twin prime conjecture, going all the way back to Euclid, is not about such a vast number linking prime pairs. It is about showing whether or not there are infinite prime pairs that differ just by a number value of 2.

I tried googling for a version of Zhang's paper, cause i want to see how he went on about this. Anyone know where that paper may be found online?

(fwiw i am intuitively of the view that indeed infinite twin prime numbers exist; in fact i suppose than any prime pair has infinite number of cases)
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Default Re: If indeed some type of joined-primes does stop at some point, why would it?

Here is a link to a pdf version of his article. Prima facie I would wager that there are infinitely many twin primes, because if at some point they would start exhibiting differences always larger than two that would make some sort of regularity in the sense of a non-probabilistic divergence plausible, while so far the primes have proven to be as unpredictable as possible. I have to admit, though, that I am not too familiar with number theory and have yet to read that article by Zhang in full to make any properly founded statement.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Thanks I will have a look...