Thread: A little confused...

caralampio's Avatar Magnificus

Default A little confused...

I've been playing this a couple of days now and would like some guidance on how to take this mod. I used to play only vanilla up to now, so I found ER a little strange. I love the changes made to units, land and sea. I love how battles play out, they really feel like 18th century battles now.

However, I find the Campaign AI to be somewhat lame. I wonder why, as everyone here seems to praise that aspect. As Britain I played into about 1730 and almost nothing happened. I hit end turn, end turn and have the luxury of fully developing my country infrastructure (something the constant wars in vanilla wouldn't allow). I would get some declarations of war but the enemies practically did nothing after that, they never attack either on land or sea. They leave their countries wide open, the only saving thing for them was those city garrisons which in capitals are substantial, and me voluntarily holding back as I didn't want to roll over them. I raided their ports and they didn't even bother to repair them!

I am also somewhat curious about the result of battles. I feel battles to be quite easily won. The enemy army will break, but still seems to be in a regular shape (I don't chase them down), but at the end of the battle they have atrocious casualties that don't seem to be in proportion to their losses I saw in the battle. The report might say for example that they lost 600 soldiers and me 42!

I wonder if this has to do with me playing at N/N, which is the setting I prefer in vanilla, maybe I should use a harder setting? But I hated harder settings in vanilla because the AI seemed to become totally psycho, and in battle I didn't like to see enemy militias beating my veteran line infantry. Not realistic. Does ER have a more reasonably challenging AI with harder settings?

Comments and suggestions on gameplay in ER, especially as compared to vanilla, are welcome. I truly want to learn to enjoy this mod as it has many, many things in it that I had always been wishing for in ETW.

Default Re: A little confused...

ETW AI can be rather random for lack of better word that seems to apply for every mod and vanilla. Sometimes I have seen relatively passive moments with high difficulty settings, othertimes I have been almost immediately at war with my neighbours for 10+ years in a row. Once as GB the French declared war on me in 1702 and seized ½ of my colonies and I had to come up with improvised expediction to send in France which I barely occupied while I barely kept my remaining colonies in control. Another time as Prussia I was able to conquer entire Germany and nobody really didn't seem to mind it besides Austria. Feel free to try H\H or very hard\hard or very hard\normal campaign\battle difficulty settings. I advice against setting battle difficulty above hard though.

(I also once ran into case where as Sweden, Russia declared war yet again and it took them 10 turns to show up, though to their credit at least it was several proper stacks.)

As for the battle casualties, the game randomly inflicts casualties which as far as I know, cannot be really modified outside autoresolve effects. If a stack has already retreated once and then you win the battle, it will be basically annihilated regardless of actual casualties. There is also the flipside that sometimes the game simply glitches out bizarrely even if you continue or end the battle. Back in ER3 I once had a dragoon regiment that suddenly went from 134 headcount to 10 after the battle while another dragoon regiment went from 160 to 320 and it was permanent effect. I had oversized dragoon unit because bugs. I have ran into that once actually in ER4 as well, only that time it was a ship that suddenly had doubled its crew size. This is not ER exclusive by any means since I once had this in Darthmod long time ago, in which I had artillery battery that had over 400 crewmen thanks to ETW bugs and glitches.
    Last edited by Mjarr; July 03, 2015 at 03:51 AM.