Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Social Justice 101: Power Privilege and Oppression

Default Re: Social Justice 101: Power Privilege and Oppression

Theoretically forced integration of the communities could work but it's unlikely that anyone would find that to be fair, on the other hand forced economic equity could also accomplish it.
    Forced relocation and confiscation of wealth.

I think that was called on the first page.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Elfdude's Avatar Tribunus
    Patrician Citizen

It was called? Jee phier are you context blind? That was a response to a specific question of economic segregation. That has nothing to do with anything anyone "called" on the first page. If you keep your context straight you'd understand it but it seems like you're cherry-picking to attempt to shame a concept out of existence.

Most of your responses have been cherry picking as well.

Elfdude's Avatar Tribunus
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Valkor Deathborne View Post
    Most of your responses have been cherry picking as well.
    Prove it.

By definition Cherry-Picking is ignoring data which doesn't conform to my viewpoint. I have not done this once and attempted to explain every bit of evidence brought by both sides.
    Last edited by Elfdude; August 18, 2015 at 02:31 PM.

classical_hero's Avatar Senator

Social Justice, how is this different from just regular justice?

cfmonkey45's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by classical_hero View Post
    Social Justice in theory means establishing justice in society through social and political means. Social Justice in practice means defining racial and ethnic groups into overly simplistic categories based on concepts such as privilege and oppression, which are vaguely defined at best, and then developing policies--notably strong interventionist policies that don't actually correlate to real world realities--to enforce them. Basically, you get three types of opponents: people who believe that any inequality is justified, people who believe that the inequality doesn't exist, or only exists under certain circumstances, and people who think that inequality exists, but the policies proposed to alleviate them are foolhardy and erroneous.

Speaking of foolhardy and erroneous policies, I stumbled across an economics report detailing the effect that the minimum wage increase in Los Angeles County had on Hotel Employees. While most minimum wage hikes aren't to fully come into effect for some time, this actual hike in the wage has. The results are completely predictable: major unemployment that can't be accounted for by national, state, or local averages.

Overall, the caveats here are significant, and despite the stark and significant decline in employment, the data should be considered just very suggestive at this point. However, it does represent one more reason to be concerned about the forthcoming minimum wage hike that will be affecting all Los Angeles County workers in all industries.
    The service sector, and hotels in particular, should be less responsive to minimum wage hikes than many other lower wage employers. Tourism industries should be less price elastic than tradeables like manufacturing, and hotels don’t have a lot of alternatives, which makes transitioning the building to some less-labor-intensive use less likely. Hotels, in other words, should have been more safe. Instead, they seem to be taking a big hit. While what we are seeing in Los Angeles so far is nowhere near conclusive, it should worry those who have been less concerned about big minimum wage hikes.

https://www.economy.com/dismal/analy...n-Los-Angeles/

empr guy's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by elfdude View Post
    Prove it.

By definition Cherry-Picking is ignoring data which doesn't conform to my viewpoint. I have not done this once and attempted to explain every bit of evidence brought by both sides.

well you did link me to a study about how blacks weren't politically oppressed and tell me to ignore the conclusions because you know statistics better then the author of said paper and they are actually politically oppressed
    Last edited by empr guy; August 19, 2015 at 12:36 AM.
    odi et amo quare id faciam fortasse requiris / nescio sed fieri sentio et excrucior

Quote Originally Posted by elfdude View Post
    It was called? Jee phier are you context blind? That was a response to a specific question of economic segregation. That has nothing to do with anything anyone "called" on the first page. If you keep your context straight you'd understand it but it seems like you're cherry-picking to attempt to shame a concept out of existence.
    Sometimes I think my most useful academic skill is I can distill down to the basic essence.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

What is with the association SJ makes between races and cultures? How is it someone else's business that I follow a particular culture of my choice? And why does SJ try to define a culture on very limited terms and condemn other people's interpretations of cultures?
    Art finds her own perfection within, and not outside of herself. She is not to be judged by any external standard of resemblance. She is a veil, rather than a mirror. -Oscar Wilde

chriscase's Avatar Chairman Miao
    Civitate Patrician

I totally get that. For instance, chriscase is a very laid back culture. The way he expresses gratitude is to stay home from work and get drunk.

Why is it that mysteries are always about something bad? You never hear there's a mystery, and then it's like, "Who made cookies?"
    - Demetri Martin

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by classical_hero View Post
    By punishing the good people and rewarding the scoundrels.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

norse's Avatar Tiro

the single most important category here is Money
    No it is not.

Power is the most important category with status also in the mix. Naturally wealth and political representation are interconnected into the mesh framework of individual situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qavNOONOuRw

http://www.c-span.org/video/?324708-...undivided-past

Since there are obviously a lot of posters in this thread who need to learn how to be more sensitive to diversity, I think this video will help:

Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    Since there are obviously a lot of posters in this thread who need to learn how to be more sensitive to diversity, I think this video will help:

Lets add an actual list of "microaggressions" too.

http://www.ucop.edu/academic-personn...ggressions.pdf

SJW actually believe this.
    The Meritocracy was my favorite section.

My shameful truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Phier View Post
    Forced relocation and confiscation of wealth.
    I suspect the whole hypersensitive SJW movement is basically a bunch of people waaay too timid to get straight to this point: "I want your money"
    It will be seen that, as used, the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley's broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else.

-George Orwell

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Quote Originally Posted by Phier View Post
    Lets add an actual list of "microaggressions" too.

http://www.ucop.edu/academic-personn...ggressions.pdf

SJW actually believe this.
    The Meritocracy was my favorite section.
    Wow, real eye opener. From now on instead of hoping that "the best qualified person gets the job" I'm going to hope that "the man gets the job" so that I will no longer engage in meritocracy based microagression. Thank you SJWs for opening my eyes!!!
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post

OMG! Sumskilz! Are you okay? Is everything alright? That awful, no good video had so many triggers in it! I can't believe that professor had the NERVE to mention the Merchant of Venice by Shakespeare. As a Jewish American living in Israel, you must have been immediately triggered by hearing the name of that play, Sumskilz. I can only deeply apologize for this video and the fact that my pale, evil white skin is somehow to blame here.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    As a Jewish American living in Israel, you must have been immediately triggered
    Being half regular European-American and not having a Jewy name has thankfully spared me from a great deal of people's explicit attempts to demonstrate how not prejudiced they are.
    Last edited by Iskar; September 01, 2015 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Off-topic remarks removed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Some more white male privilege.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10490578.html

A white author is under fire after using an Asian pen name in order to avoid rejection letters.

The newly published The Best American Poetry 2015, an esteemed literary anthology, features a poem from "Yi-Fen Chou," the pen name of a white author named Michael Derrick Hudson.
    Inside the 2015 edition, the author says that there's a "very short answer" for his reasoning. He's been rejected a "multitude of times" under his real name and using the Asian identity was a "successful" strategy for him.
    "The poem in question, 'The Bees, the Flowers, Jesus, Ancient Tigers, Poseidon, Adam and Eve,' was rejected under my real name forty (40) times before I sent it out as Yi-Fen Chou (I keep detailed submission records). As Yi-Fen the poem was rejected nine (9) times before Prairie Schooner took it. If indeed this is one of the best American poems of 2015, it took quite a bit of effort to get it into print, but I'm nothing if not persistent," he writes.
    "I realize that this isn't a very 'artistic' explanation of using a pseudonym. Years ago I did briefly consider trying to make Yi-Fen into a 'persona' or 'heteronym' a la Fernando Pessoa, but nothing ever came of it."
    Writers responded to Mr Hudson, shortly after poet Saeed Jones posted the excerpt to his Facebook page.
    Author Danez Smith tells The Independent that he hopes the author's deception doesn't continue to hurt writers of color and that his actions "distract (a function of racism) from the work of amazing writers of color published under their real names."
    "Michael’s theatre has already taken up space a writer of color could have filled, his antics trivialize the experience of people of color, of growing up with a name that many white Americans refuse to fit in their mouths," he said.
    Also play "find the SJW" quote in the above!

My shameful truth.

chriscase's Avatar Chairman Miao
    Civitate Patrician

Do we have a corresponding list of microsubmissions? I'd like to be ready the next time I get mugged.

Why is it that mysteries are always about something bad? You never hear there's a mystery, and then it's like, "Who made cookies?"
    - Demetri Martin