Thread: GPU problem

Default GPU problem

I've had this problem for a couple of months now. I have to install my video drivers every time I reboot my computer, or else the GPU clock will max out and I will get like 40 fps. So when that happens, I must re-install my video drivers WITHOUT rebooting, or else I have to do it again. This also means my computer must remain on literally forever.

I have tried all sorts of drivers by this point, and the driver itself does not matter, as long as I do not reboot the computer it operates normally.

Anyone heard of or had this problem themselves?

Advice?

(Nvidia 760, and 64 bit windows)
    Last edited by mike^_^; July 01, 2015 at 06:57 PM.

Default Re: GPU problem

It could be a GPU overheating issue. Download EVGA Precision and check the temperature. If it's in the high range (above 85) then it's the reason you're getting low fps. From what I understand, the reinstalled driver could be temporarily trying to fix the problem but it won't go away until you increase the airflow or get rid of whatever is causing the problem (usually dust or wiring).
    Наиболее полное истребитель в мире

no, its not a heating issue. I have EVGA Precision and thats how I can tell my card is running at maximum clock. The 760 is known to run a little hot regardless, well within safe operating temperatures. I may not have been clear in the opening post, this is not a problem that needs troubleshooting, I know exactly what's happening, I just don't know why or how to fix it.

The cards performance is just as good as it was when I opened the box, as long as I do not reboot. If for whatever reason my computer is restarted, or shuts down, I must reinstall the drivers or else my clock speed will max out and the temperatures will rise and fps tanks(so its not just a bug with the software. I can also hear the fan kick in to 100%). Reinstalling the drivers (without rebooting) fixes it.
    Last edited by mike^_^; July 01, 2015 at 10:23 PM.

When you reinstall the driver, do you do a clean install by completely removing old installation first using an application like CCleaner? If not, you should try it. Other than that, there could be a service interfering with the driver; you could try disabling all non-essential services through msconfig prior to a reboot. If that doesn't solve the problem, you should ask for a replacement considering it's not too late.
    Наиболее полное истребитель в мире

you could try flashing a different BIOS for the gpu

failing that, could be several things, if the GPU has been in use for years it could be glitching out before dying, or there is something up with the operating system (have you tried reformat or placing the card in another computer?), or there is something up with the motherboard and the PCI slot.

Crazyeyesreaper's Avatar Primicerius
    Citizen

Sounds more like a windows issue. Easiest way to find out pop GPU in another system. Or reinstall windows. Normally in a software is botched and not working situation re-installing windows over the old install will allow you to keep all your data (windows.old folder) and let you start with a fresh OS.
    CPU: i7 3770K 4.6GHz / i7 4930K 4.4 GHz / i7 4770K 4.6 GHz
    CPU HSF: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro / Review Samples / Review Samples
    MOBO: Biostar TZ77XE4 / ASRock X79 Fatal1ty Champion / MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming
    RAM: Mushkin Redlines 2x4GB 1866 MHz / 4x4GB Gskill 2133 MHz / 2x4GB Kingston 2400 MHz
    GPU: Integrated / GTX 780 / HD 5450 Passive
    PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1050w 80+ GOLD / NZXT Hale82 650w Modular / same
    CASE: Nanoxia DS1 / Nanoxia DS1 / Lian Li Test Bench
    HDD: 160 HDD / 512GB SSD + 120GB SSD + 5.5TB HDD / 60gb SSD

Thanks I will update the thread if that works