Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assignment 1 - The Mysterious Call (Brian Klems)

FrostySOTF's Avatar Ice in My Veins
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Assignment 1 - The Mysterious Call (Brian Klems)

A little late (was supposed to be on Monday but we had some late-comers, thank you all for your intro paragraphs (pages in some cases)

Here is the first assignment! Due Saturday because we started a day late -

Your phone rings in the middle of the night. An indiscernible voice speaks: “There is a car waiting for you outside your house. Get inside. You don’t want to ignore this.” Your spouse rolls over, eyes squinting, and says, “Everything okay?” What happens next?

Shoot for as much as you can here guys, you have all week so don't try and rush and get it all done in one night

I'm expecting at least a page from each of you but other than that the sky is the limit!
    Last edited by FrostySOTF; June 30, 2015 at 11:46 AM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Assignment 1 - The Mysterious Call (Brian Klems)

Frosty asked students on this course to post a quick message on this thread, so here I am. Hi! The first assignment looks great. I'm intrigued by the reference to Brian Klems - perhaps that is the person who thought of this assignment?

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

Here Teach...... Looks like a winner, time to hit the books guys!.....
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

Well I'm on top of this one, without going crazy I've got a thousand words that would serve as the opening to a larger story. Whilst hopefully keeping the mystery intact.

Hopefully I've been at least a little original, the first thing that jumped out at me was "oh, family is being threatened, so you've gotta do this", so I didn't do that.

Also, I'd like to submit through Google Docs, it's fairly easy for me for shorter exercises.

Iron Aquilifer's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Sent a short piece since lack of time would leave me lagging behind.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Have received yours Iron, will get back to you soon on the grading, I ask that all comment on this because this first assignment is a sort of role-call

As for Gmail responders I'm adding my Gmail to Itinerary now

DeanE555's Avatar Libertus

Well,if thy ask for a comment,thy shalt recieve! (sorry,couldn't resist! )

Still confused how the story should continue on my end... but I managed to write the opening (of the opening I guess...). It is a direction of stories I never think of so it is an interesting assigment for me! Also,I think I'll snatch something from a movie I just saw (not a complete ripoff of course,just a somewhat based-on idea...)

Oh,thank you for managing the course Frosty! Let's have a good one!
    Last edited by DeanE555; July 01, 2015 at 09:59 PM.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Thank you! As do I! Remember to get creative, try to be as original as possible but outside sources for inspiration can be very helpful, though they should only be that, sources of inspiration and not what you turn your story into, for example, say you're watching Indiana Jones and that makes you want to throw some sneaky traps and a dashing professor into there? That's fine! (Not terribly original but fine). What wouldn't be fine is just copying the movie down and changing some names

Merchant of Venice is present!

A very mysterious way to start the course, have a couple of ideas floating around already.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Will be grading these on Sunday as I am out of town, expect responses Sunday night Central time! (10ish)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Just posting to sign in. I haven't gotten a chance to start writing yet but I have some ideas and I will be able to begin tomorrow.
    The game.

Riverknight's Avatar Last of the Romans

Hello everyone!

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I emailed my first assignment Happy Fourth of July to everyone who is celebrating!

DeanE555's Avatar Libertus

Emailed it... Have a good holiday Frosty! (And everyone else who celebretes 4th of July or anything else)

"Book'em Dano!!!

Well, at least I got it in on time this go round. Great lesson parameters methinks.

Good luck everyone, if you have'nt finished yours yet....

Post Scriptum: If any one is stuck, please give a shout out and we'll get you jump started. I've suffered from writersblock in the past, so I know how awful it is to just stare at the keyboard because the creative juices have all dryed up.

When stuck write about stuff that feels close to home, and beat whatever idea pops into your head until it's the right fit for the job.
    Last edited by Mega Tortas de Bodemloze; July 04, 2015 at 05:18 AM.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,

I will attempt to get it expand on mine a little, today, before submission. I was gone away for the latter half of this week, culminating last night with experiencing a powerful performance by Imagine Dragons in Montreal! Only got home at about 0300!

My submission will come!
    Last edited by Dance; July 04, 2015 at 09:43 AM.

Gluteus_Maximus's Avatar Laetus

Hello everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    Hello everybody.
    Welcome welcome...

Since your accounts just starting out this may be of some help....

Shankbot's Unofficial Guide for New Members -

some of the account perks dont kick in til 25 or so posts, so you might have some spam posting to do to open them up...

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I have returned! Expect grading responses tonight and a fresh assignment tomorrow!!

Originally Posted by Mega Tortas de Bodemloze

Could we post our assignemts so that others can read them? And I suppose kick comments and ideas around if there are any. {Your grading, corrections, and individual commenting would of course be contained within the private student copies sent to you, as per the lessons instructions.}

Thought the different wriiting styles and mannerisms might be good stuff to showcase here in class.

Quote Originally Posted by FrostySOTF View Post
    Absolutely! Feel free to post them in their respective assignment threads!

Kay... here's a chance to see someone else's stuff, created from the same foundation the you wrote yours from. I would ask how you guys came up with what you wrote?

You'all don't have to play if you don't want to,but for me I'm kinda curious so here goes...

the tale..

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Your phone rings in the middle of the night. An indiscernible voice speaks: “There is a car waiting for you outside your house. Get inside. You don’t want to ignore this.” Your spouse rolls over, eyes squinting, and says, “Everything okay?”

What happens next?
    “Everything okay?”

I grabbed a handful of Buttcheek and squeezed hard, Leaned in, and frenched deep imbued with a toxic level level of morning breath.
    "Not really, but I got this one. You owe me big for your continued, undisturbed slumber. "
    "I promise I'll pound you twice a hard in the morning". With that my partner of twelve years rolled back over and fell back to sleep.

Feet scuffling around to connect with my Bunny slippers, found traction, and I slowly rose to shuffle to the bathroom for a semi reinuvigerating 3am pee. Even though a guy, I mostly pee sitting down cuz well it's more effeminate, ladylike, and tends not to spray pee-mist every where like most stand up peers do. Now don't get me wrong, once I leave the house, it's all business, drill seargeant style, but at home I prefer to just be myself. So yeah...I'm the girl in the relationship, and per the relationship manual, I'm dwarfed in size by my mate. Yeah... you don't have to worry bout me. I may be pettite in size but I make up for it with one hell of a Napoleonic complex. Very few people ever get the chance to with me...{smiles sweetly}.

Head pounding, filled with "Brainsuck" I stare into the mirror to see if some sembalance of understanding about this thing could be had. Nope..well. it! I'll just wing it.
    Shuffulling out the bedroom door I grab Brian's tee shirt and throw it over me to serve as a night shirt. Yeah I ain't wearing undies either. Wake a {a female dog} up at 3am and you get what you get.

Bunny slippers and night shirt clad, I stumble down the front walk and tumble into back seat of the jet black, mid 1980's Sedan de Ville. Peering into the darkened interior I clear my throat and ask... Could I have some water please? Almost instantly a plastic bottle of Avain shoots out of the darkness, and smacks me in the nose. "Thanks" and then the twist of a plastic cap is followed by the gurgling sound of 20oz, of 'breakfast on the run" beating a trail to my gullet.

"Ummm...can I ask what this is all...."

"Just sit there and shut up" come the instructions hurled at me from the front passengers seat.

"Yes Sir, thank you" With trained instinct I grabbed the light blanket that was neatly folded on the seat next to me and settled back into slumber, coaxed into Mopheus' arms by the rough scrapping sounds made by the air conditioning vents facing the back seat.

~~~~~~~~~~~
    cut sceane
    ~~~~~~~~~~~

The phone rings and Brian's hand claws through the darkness to quell it's ominous serenade.

"Hellloo???"

"It's Richardson Sir. The security team is following at a safe distance,what do you want us to do?"

"When they stop, set up a perimeter, and only move in on her signal. Remember...Only, at her signal.

"Oh ...and Richardson...."If one hair on her head comes to harm... You will hear your entire family screaming in agony at you from the depths of hell."

I'll see you at the office, and we'll do lunch as usual after you wrap this up. I made meatloaf, knowing your affinity for it.

"nite"

"Good night Sir"......{sound bites for for the dial tone, then the phone being replaced into the reciever"}
    Having received his employer's calm, serenity laden endorsement, Richardson proceeded with the task at hand.

~~~~~~~~~~~
    cut sceane
    ~~~~~~~~~~~

How I came up with that: Truthfully I took one look at that and thought Oh no....I'll be flunking out of this. Then nature called, and bam! It became part of the story. Teach stuck the Girl friend/Boyfriend/Huspand/wife in there so...bam! tis now a love story. The filler details were what I thought I'd do if that were me stuck in that...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast