Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Practice ARR : The Salmon Chronicles

Default Re: A Practice ARR : The Salmon Chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    This sounds like an exciting campaign. I enjoyed Onniorix's heroic stand in the three battles of Elusa. I look forward to seeing how your story develops. After the events at Elusa, is there a danger that Onniorix will believe that he is invincible and stand his ground even when he should retreat, or will the high cost of the third victory teach him caution?
    It is, although, I began another campaign and it seems to fall into a pattern. If you hold Southern England you eventually have all the barbarian tribes try to take it, also, Elusa seems to be such a hotspot for the AI to try to take. Had a similar defense on my WRE campaign, although not against as many.

Your suggestion gave me an idea that I am going to try out. Thanks for reading and cheers!
    "Suffer little children," said the controller.
    -Brave New World

Ollam Ri paced.

"Onniorix has been touched. Only time will tell if this is a punishment from the gods or a gift. With only one able bodied commander here in the South, we can't afford another invasion. I've already frightened off another warband by showing them our spears and the banner of Onniorix which they know so well now. But soon they will learn of his condition and then they will be back. We must thrust their attention elsewhere."

That night a messenger departed for the council chambers in Camulodum.

A raiding party was thrown together under Cotos, a Romano-British captain who was anxious to prove himself. Not to mention overweening and proud. He wore a Roman helm, passed down from his grandfather supposedly. He was to make a nuisance of himself on the mainland, draw attention to himself, and then slip away.

"This is my chance for glory, to prove to these Picts what a Roman can do. I'll add a province to our ever growing empire with myself as governor! I will be rich and have my pick of the women as well. Oh the silken skinned women of the mainland, not browned by toiling in the sun, but soft and delicate, flowers for me to pluck with my sword!" He absent minded grabbed himself as these thought went through his mind. The product of these "New Kingdoms" now that everyone didn't have to work, a few noble women could be kept in court. It was these he lusted after. He called for his slave girl. She would have to do for now. He cursed. When she thought him asleep she would weep the night away.

Even before the expedition was underway there was conflict.

Cotos grabbed the captain's shirt and threw him to the ground. Roman as he claimed to be, Cotos was built like a Gaul.

"You were the captain of a miserable ship before this expedition was together, and you will answer to me!"

He began to kick the prostrate men. Teeth scattered on the ground like seeds from the sower. Bloody, the captain cowered, his breath hissing through holes where his had been, his eyes full of terror. And rage.

"I have loaded my men and we will sail, damn the tide!"

The captain nodded vigorously, his head slanted to one side in pain.

The ships were stranded as they tried to sail as the tide went out. Men leapt clambered over the sides in order to try and heave it off. No avail. The first few to hit the ground fell to their knees in a sucking muck. They took a few steps, each step pulling them deeper into the mire. They began to panic as the mud rose past their knees and they could no longer move. Ropes were thrown, but a few were too far. Slowly they sank to their necks. Desperate, they flailed their arms. And slipped beneath the surface, their final cries a choking sound. Thick brown bubbles rose to the surface, slowed, and then stopped.

A bad omen.

Cotos cursed his men for fools.

The captain smiled.
    -Brave New World

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I like this (+rep)! Cotos' story reads like a folk tale or (at the end) a poem. I look forward to discovering what is happening to Omniorix.

Thank you Alwyn! I am getting my sea legs under me as it were. Still some more to get right. I've had to stop playing the campaign so I can actually flesh a bit of the story out, but that has made it more enjoyable. It will get interesting for Cotos soon. And we will return to O's story for sure!
    -Brave New World

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12