Thread: Your Political Compass

Kraut and Tea's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Your Political Compass

I am interested in where you people stand on the political compas - what your views are.

You would you klick the link and answere the few questions and then post the result?

https://www.politicalcompass.org/

This apparently is where I stand:

Default Re: Your Political Compass

I would appear to be to the Left of you, but somewhat more Authoritarian - interesting:
    When Adam delved and Eve span, who was then the gentleman?

- John Ball (1381)

This seems pretty accurate, for an internet poll thingy.
    "Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist, but you have ceased to live." - Mark Twain

"I am against nature. I don't dig nature at all. I think nature is very unnatural. I think the truly natural things are dreams, which nature can't touch with decay." - Bob Dylan

"Faith in God means believing, absolutely, in something with no proof whatsoever. Faith in humanity means believing, absolutely, in something with a huge amount of proof to the contrary. WE are the true believers." - Joss Whedon

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

That's the result I got, but I perceive myself as way more centrist and a less libertarian than that. With several questions on that website I felt uncomfortable choosing any of the options as they actually required more detailed assessments than a simple agree/disagree scale.

My self-perception would be something like this:

@Germans are coming: Is that a faithful representation of your position? Are you a, say, non-interventionist social democrat?
    Last edited by Iskar; June 26, 2015 at 09:05 AM.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

So, is everyone here in the Libertarian Left?

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Would be interesting to know the evaluation algorithm of that website and on which country's political spectrum it is based. According to Wiki it seems to be based in the UK which would kind of explain the left-shift of continental conservative positions in the diagram, as they are usually more left than anglo-american conservative positions. E.g. universal health care, opposition to death penalty, firearms control and so on are perfectly conservative positions in Germany while they certainly are not in the US.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

I didn't take a screen shot, but it had me lean slightly towards the left and liberalism.
    Economically it seems accurate enough, but it doesn't reflect my views on the libertarianism/authoritarianism scale very well. I suppose those would be the results you get if you just average everything out, but in truth my views on the axis are closer to "all or nothing". If I view something as by and large harmless (like gay marrige), or think trying to enforce prevention will do more damage then just learning to live with it (like banning marijuana), I'm all for minimizing government interference. That being said, if I view something as worth doing, like enforced separation of church and state, cracking down on illegal immigration or application of military force as part of foreign policy in defiance of international law, I can get quite militant about it, extremist by western standards, even. So most of my answers end up on opposing sides of the scale.

Then again, its hardly a surprise that an average will give a skewed version of things. The average person on the planet is a 29 year old Christian man named Muhammad, whose native language is Mandarin Chinese, and is two weeks pregnant. I rather doubt this man actually exists as anything but a statistical ideal.
    A humble equine consul in service to the people of Rome.

Kraut and Tea's Avatar Campidoctor

Yeah, I am a non interventionalist social democrat, the test puts me pritty much where I belong.

Comes Domesticorum

as usual I pretty much rotate around the center.

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.