Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fav faction and worst enemy faction to fight?

Default fav faction and worst enemy faction to fight?

my fav selucide empire nice phalanx good cavalry and good silver sheild cohort my enemy egypt too many armys!!!!!!!
    to catch a fish,so juicy sweeeeeet

SPARTAN VI's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: fav faction and worst enemy faction to fight?

Felt cool to play the romans, but if I had to choose another favorite, it'd be the Greek cities. I hated to fight Pontus and Egypt, the AI really knows how to maneuver chariots.

2016 TW: Warhammer Modding Winner!

SPARTAN VI's Building Progression Icons Mod
    Streaming Total War & Strategy Games - SPARTAN VI's Game Night

Greeks so far.

try to get behind the enemy or side while they change theyre lines charge! go to the console with # or ¬(top right) type add_money the highest is 40000just a tip i use if badly losing while playing as Juli i was geting destroyed by the germans they offered me to give up my independance i did if i can do this to another AI what are the adavantages (add_money 40000) remember

i love seludic Empire!

Posts merged please use the edit button.

Thankyou.
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; November 19, 2006 at 09:02 AM.
    to catch a fish,so juicy sweeeeeet

Romans are my favorite. Their legionaires kick. They have good archers cavalry etc
    I hate vanilla Egypt. SO MANY ARMIES:tooth:
    Whoever gives nothing, has nothing. The greatest misfortune is not to be unloved, but not to love.
    -Albert Camus

Cha0sMarin3's Avatar Semisalis

Nothing beats a spartan phalanx in singeplayer, not even a roman legion with spears. The nightmare when playing as the Greeks is facing nations with mounted cavalry especially archers. You are pretty limited in such battles in remaining stationairy waiting for the enemy to run out of arrows.

I would be the British. Not just cause I am but they are fierce and can get morale up fast by chanting. My worst faction is Egypt!!!!
    House of Caesers
    Under the patronage and son of Empress Meg
    Brother of the mighty Geat Carl von Döbeln

Graphics Workshop | My Graphics Gallery

I love the Eastern Factions, and hate Egypt and the Romans

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Ok guys, please put some effort into your discussions, this thread is very poor and close to being closed.

Thankyou.

will keep that in mind halie satanus.
    my fav factions are numerous. i like the eastern factions(armenia and parthia, havent played pontus yet) because of their cavalry reliance(not so much armenia), which means the battles are typically fun, and their tricky starting position, because if you attack one faction, sometimes all the other asia minor factions ally to beat you up good.

i also like the brits, because they are just awesome. chariots, good infantry, can beat basically any other nation early game, they are just a good all around nation.

i love the greeks or macedon, because, well, they are greek. fun to play with hoplites, i like to play on the defensive in battles, be it at the gate of a town, a bridge, etc. you put hoplites in a good place with potential to be a choke point, and the enemy is as good as dead.

my least fav would be probably egypt. to many armies, too overpowered, especially considering egypt never really had a good army, but its fun to kick the tar out of them.

my other least fav faction is spain, i just hate playing against in the middle to late game, when their economys going, they have good armies of scutarii, and bull warriors , i just dont like playing them.

so my least favourite faction is spain, while my favourite is brittania.

ps.halie satanus, is that enough effort?
    RIP Calvin, you won't be forgotten.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

ps.halie satanus, is that enough effort?.
    Could have done with some in depth characters and sub plots but not a bad effort at all.

I have two favourite factions for RTW. My first is the House of Julii, they were the first faction I played as and are probably the reason why I love these games so much, they are a fantastic faction for a beginner to start with and they have many strong and useful unit types which I enjoyed using throughout my campaign.
    My second faction is The Greek Cities, their units are fantastic, the phalanx manouvre can turn the tide of battle instantaneously and their fairly weak starting point provides a challenge which I relished.

My favourite Barbarian Invasion faction is the Romano British, Their fusion of Barbarian and Roman Units makes them a great faction for battling with

I love playing as the Macedonians, but the hundreds of thousands of Brutii I've killed must surely get me peace with them at some point? Clearly not.

i love being the brutii and having to adjust my army to the different fighting styles in the east and south

The Good's Avatar the Bad and the Ugly

Well, I have a thread that is stickied similar to the "Favourite Faction" part, but oh well, I'll post!

My favourite Faction are the Julii Romans, I think it is because of their starting position, plus, they get to fight the mighty Gallic, Briton, Germanic, and Iberian Factions. I have always had fun fighting the "barbarian" Factions.

My least favourite Faction and least favourite enemy would be the Treacherous Egyptians! By the time my Faction (Usually the Roman Julii) expands around all of Western Europe (Gallia, Hispania, Britannia, small parts of Germania, etc...), the Egyptians (more correctly known as the Ptolomaics at the time) have most, if not ALL the whole Middle East. I think CA should release a new patch (1.7?) that downgrades the Egyptians a little, so the poor Seleucid Empire has a chance at them...

Playing RS, I love the Romans; For one, pre-marian reforms they are challenging becuase you really are limited against cavalry. Equites are very poor at counter-cavalry. Historically, this was so, the Romans using Gallic cavalry auxiliaries through most of their history. Therefore I use a few equites and predominatley Barbarian cavalry mercs pre-marian. I also use the Hastati, Principes, and Triarii historically accuratley, with the three lines. This presents another challenge, as Roman formations tend to be deep and narrow fronted, and when facing Greek factions who have long, shallow lines that can outflank you easily it's up to the player to use velites and merc peltasts/archers to hold the flanks and harrass the slow-moving phalanaxes. Post-marian however, when legions and auxilia come into play, the player can maneuver the phalanaxes into poor terrain and cut them up with javelins and archers before they ever have a chance; and the auxiliaries, if used on the flanks, are GREAT for use against horse.

Worst faction to fight, to me, is Macedonia; The highly disciplined ranks, and the fairly good AI tactics make battles difficult at times. I spent 20 turns helping my Greek City allies crush Macedonian power in Northern Greece/Illyria, and lost many a good army trapped in Macedonia before I finally took a town to provide a good FOB. I had to build a string of forts from Illyrian coastlines through the northern Balkans, and then south into Macedonia, a turn's march away for a heavy army made up of infantry. I Finally delivered a devastating blow to Macedonian power in 130 BC in which my Germania legion and auxiliaries, with AI controlled cavalry reinforcements, killed over 2500 Macedonians (3 armies, faction leader, faction heir, and a dismounted general, 3,000 men in all) at a loss of 800 legionares, auxiliaries, and cavalry. THANK GOD for light auxilia!
    Yes, I hate the fact RTW is out and I still have a Japanese title. Come on now admins- let's get with the program.

i love the romans (brutii for me) they're the most historically interesting to me and i think i would want to be in their empire were i alive then. i love the Brutii starting position aswell because the greeks are on the decline so you can take sparta and athens etc for some already developed cities but they alway hang in there somehow and just as you think about taking them the sentate tell you to go off and conquer some city belonging to thrace or whoever and you end up fighting several empires fun fun fun. i hate any of the empire with hoplite or phalanx type troops because of their defensive abilities. if your archers get chased away by cavalry your pretty screwed trying to get anything near enough to kill them because of the damm 3m spears they have. also when i started playing on easier game settings you could win battles by simply chasing down the weakest unit with a few equites and then once they had routed the morale of the next unit would be lower and you could chase them off and so on. obv you cannot do that against phalanxs. if any of you played the first MTW they reming me of the Swiss royal armoured pikemen in the late period who were pretty impossible to kill with anything but archers but would always rush you before you could kill enough of them and pretty much slaughter your men.

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

FAVORITE FACTION:
    Macedon

WORST ENEMY TO FIGHT AGAINST:
    Egypt. This one time I got fed up with Egyptian players that I started booting people who picked them. I was really angry that one day lol
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

Severous's Avatar Biarchus

Campaign play:

Favourite...Egypt as my first vh/vh campaingn. I dont play any campaign twice so its only favourite by a narrow margin. Its the mobility and missiles of the early Egyptian generals that allowed small forces to take on and beat armies many times their size. Liked the Celts in BI mainly for the ARR I wrote as I went along and the constraints/story built around the game.

Feared:
    Scythians. Their massed horse archers are going to cause unavoidable casualties. You encounter them in many campaigns. No good going against them with just Roman infantry. Egpyt is a bit out of the way in its corner. Its also well played by the AI..its big well balanced armies with chariots on the wings, and excellent archers behind phalanxes. Tough.
    Regards
    Severous

Did my part in a Franks BI Succession campaign:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=118689
    Played a Mod called "End of Days" Picture based AAR is here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=116509
    From last year. Final turn of vh/vh Egyptian campaign
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54262

Muagan_ra's Avatar Senator

Carthage has always been my favourite. I like their military, because of the finesse required to get the most out of it. Their geographic position is good too, I like that part of the world.

Egypt is always the worst enemy to fight against, invariably ridiculously powerful.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast