Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Byzantium

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Default Re: Byzantium

Quote Originally Posted by rome ac View Post
    Sorry to say but the Pope and Emperor of the Eastern Empire where mostly enemies, and the Emperor was in no way a puppet (Such Alexius if it was ent for him the First Crusade would have never happen).
    Lol, I hope you realize that his whole post was sarcasm, and a Joke.

Anyway, when we get Mod Tools, the second thing I will do (after putting some French Avanteurs(sp?) on horses, giving them to Scotland, and naming them Border Rievers) will be to give handguns and arquebusiers to the Byzantines.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesīr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Sir Robin's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    Anyway, when we get Mod Tools, the second thing I will do (after putting some French Avanteurs(sp?) on horses, giving them to Scotland, and naming them Border Rievers) will be to give handguns and arquebusiers to the Byzantines.
    It is my great hope that we will be able to alter or even create unit models within a few months. Once we can actually unpak/pak the files, hopefully by November's end, I expect a lot of re-balancing to be going on.

I always thought it was kind of silly in what if games like the TW series that they don't include many hypothetical units.:hmmm:

Romanos's Avatar Hey

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    Lol, I hope you realize that his whole post was sarcasm, and a Joke.

Under the Great and Honorable Patronage of Fabolous
    Patron (father) of Sir Matthias and ForgottenImmortal
    Grandson of Lucius Veronus
    Member of S.I.N
    Sept 2003 - 2004 - 2nd Generation Jun 23 2004 (25-Feb)

If anyone is interested in changing the Byzantine colors in the campaign map to Tyrian Purple when we have access to the text files (obviously the models would need reskinning) the proper RGB values are:

Red: 153
    Green: 0
    Blue: 36

I was asked earlier how I managed to reconquer so much in 86 turns--well, basically, I had to race and conquer settlements as quickly as possible. I had tons of money in the beginning from trade, and using alliances and buffer states to help me was a real boon. After I took a settlement, I built a militia ASAP and simply moved on as soon as I had 3 units in the city. The problem is that my defenses are paper-thin , but so far the AI hasn't taken too much advantage of it. They spend too long on sieges, so my army stacks (or my allies) can break them off.

Sir Robin's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Iaius Statius Laurentius View Post
    If anyone is interested in changing the Byzantine colors in the campaign map to Tyrian Purple when we have access to the text files (obviously the models would need reskinning) the proper RGB values are:

Red: 153
    Green: 0
    Blue: 36

I was asked earlier how I managed to reconquer so much in 86 turns--well, basically, I had to race and conquer settlements as quickly as possible. I had tons of money in the beginning from trade, and using alliances and buffer states to help me was a real boon. After I took a settlement, I built a militia ASAP and simply moved on as soon as I had 3 units in the city. The problem is that my defenses are paper-thin , but so far the AI hasn't taken too much advantage of it. They spend too long on sieges, so my army stacks (or my allies) can break them off.
    I have a feeling that Byzantium will look very different once some mods get done with it, especially MA and MTR. Well it will if we ever manage to figure out how to change the models.

I am a pretty defensive player so the AI usually has plenty of time to prepare for me to arrive.

That's good. I look forward to the mods.

Does anyone know how to get a Byzantine Cardinal? You start with one, but since there aren't any Cardinal elections (since they're not Catholic) how would one ever get a new one?

Sir Robin's Avatar Miles

I have never managed to get a cardinal as the Byz. I didn't even realize the one I had was one.

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

By the way, do you have the starting video of Byzantium? What about the Byazantine speeches?(I mean the pre-battle ones)
    Ex-Curator
    Under the Patronage of Perikles
    Patron of Desperado † and Astaroth

R.I.P Calvin

Sir Robin's Avatar Miles

The faction starting vids are a pretty big disappointment for me. They all seem to be the same with different lines and occasional shield emblem only. Not happy about that.

The pre-battle speeches are cute but shorter than you get for the starting five factions IIRC.

Wow, eleven turns, twenty-seven pics, and I have not even fought a battle yet. Yikes

Damn Venice, was really trying not to start a war with them so soon. Well at least I should get some good battle pics out of this one tomorrow night.

AAR Forecast? Delayed

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

Posting to make the thread to the 1st page so can others post too.
    Ex-Curator

R.I.P Calvin

Sir Robin's Avatar Miles

Quit spamming.

I won't be able to add anything until after tonight and the big fight with those Venetian stacks.

I am curious if any Byz players have managed to not get into wars with Venice within the first twenty turns?

I completely left Durazzo and Sofia alone and used dromons to get a diplomat to Iraklion quick for trade rights and an alliance but they still betrayed me within the first ten turns.

I did build a shipyard for Corinth though, which they started the war by blockading. Next time I won't build a port there for them to blockade and see if that helps keep an alliance with Venice for a while. I would really like to focus on the turks but keep getting pulled into wars with Venice.

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

How much have you conquered yet?
    Ex-Curator

R.I.P Calvin

Sir Robin's Avatar Miles

Actually I have only taken Smyrna and Rhodes so far. I had planned to go after Trebizond too but got into a war with Venice instead. Many turns and a very humbling defeat later I have besieged Iraklion and I am about to besiege Durazzo.

I might be able to sucker them into a field battle if I can get the garrison to reinforce another small army nearby. they'll probably retreat though so I'll have to take it by force instead.

My Hungarian allies, two marriages , finally jumped in on my side after the Venetians gave me a whipping and so I should be able to take Durazzo without to much trouble. Then I'll go after Ragussa.

I am waiting for the Turks to invade but its awfully quiet on the eastern front.:hmmm:

I really need to not play one evening and get those hundred plus tga's converted to jpg's and hosted on imageshack.

I've had one Byzantine campaign were the only enemies I had were from the east. Venice, Hungary, and Milan just left me alone. I only played like 70 turns though, I'm sure once I was powerful enough they'd come a knockin'.

Sir Robin, are you Sir_Robin from Warcraft3.com?

Sir Robin's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Coey View Post
    I've had one Byzantine campaign were the only enemies I had were from the east. Venice, Hungary, and Milan just left me alone. I only played like 70 turns though, I'm sure once I was powerful enough they'd come a knockin'.

Sir Robin, are you Sir_Robin from Warcraft3.com?
    I wish Venice would leave me alone but everytime I am at war with them within the first ten turns or so it seems.

Really want to go toe to toe with the Turks but keep getting stuck battling Venice and then Hungary.

Don't think so, I never really got into Warcraft 3. Nice to know someone else out there appreciates MP's Quest for the Holy Grail though.

Storm up the Dalmatian coast, after you take each settlement put it to Very High Tax rate and destoy every building. Leave. Let it rebel. Rinse and repeat. That should teach those dirty Venetians what's what!

Civitate

So, what are the Byzantines spear unit (appart from Byzantine spearmen)? From what I have seen they dont have one, just like in MTW. Sad.
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

Sir Robin's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    So, what are the Byzantines spear unit (appart from Byzantine spearmen)? From what I have seen they dont have one, just like in MTW. Sad.
    Above the spearmen you have the dismounted units and thats it IIRC. There is a nice guide with some good stuff from Quillan here http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=72055 that goes into more detail.

IMHO all of the factions need tweaking to their unit trees but we will have to wait for the pak tool to mess with the stats and hope that one of the modders figures out how to alter and/or create new models/skins if CA doesn't release a tool for that.

Actually I don't remember if the dismounted units use spears?:hmmm: I think they do but not at home to check right now.

Forget infantry as the Byzantines and you will pawn everyone really really bad. Go for Lancers+Vardariotai+Frankish cav mercs in the west or Armenian cav or Khwarazmian (sp) cav in the east. Vardariotai are better than Kataphraktoi (except charge) and have a 9 missile attack. With 10-12 HA and 2 HC you can defeat any army you face. Other HA-heavy armies might cause more casualties but they are not that common.

Hellenic Air Force - Death, Destruction and Mayhem!

the byzantines relied too much on mercs. Tis sad to see such a weak amount of byzantine units. I was going to play as them but i saw so little units i decided not to.
    Without a sign, his sword the brave man draws, and asks no omen but his country's cause

Liberalism is a mental disorder

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast