Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Is it wrong to like Rome 2?

Default Is it wrong to like Rome 2?

Just a random, fun topic. I just started playing the emperor edition today and I found it extremely fun. Cavalry seems a bit useless against strong infantry but I see that as a tactical hurdle to defeat. To be totally honest I am enjoying it at least on the same level of Attila. After all the hate through out the forums I feel kind of dirty enjoying this game

Willhelm123's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Is it wrong to like Rome 2?

It's fine to like it. Honestly if you still hate the game with a passion TWO YEARS after it's buggy release, 16 patches later with a huge array of mods to fix anything else you dislike, then you're pretty stupid, and the only reason to hate it is out of pure fanboyism to the earlier games and edginess. (Which is stupid anyway, CA have released other games in just has buggy states which everyone forgets about) I don't think its the best Total War made but its pretty good now, very fun, it just suffers a bit from over extension.

Quote Originally Posted by Willhelm123 View Post
    It's fine to like it. Honestly if you still hate the game with a passion TWO YEARS after it's buggy release, 16 patches later with a huge array of mods to fix anything else you dislike, then you're pretty stupid, and the only reason to hate it is out of pure fanboyism to the earlier games and edginess. (Which is stupid anyway, CA have released other games in just has buggy states which everyone forgets about) I don't think its the best Total War made but its pretty good now, very fun, it just suffers a bit from over extension.
    Good point. I am really enjoying a Macedon campaign right now. I have a feeling I am going to lose a lot of hours now that I am playing this.

Though I just had 6 units route en masse before my cavalry touched them in a battle 5 minutes ago which was really weird. In something like 10 years of playing total war I have never seen that before It was against Tylis and it was 1300 men routing to 5 Thessalian cavalry. Ran them all down easy as you like while they ran

Garensterz's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by riendempsey86 View Post
    Is it wrong to like Rome 2?

Nope

I just hate how it all downgraded from it's predecessor.

Quote Originally Posted by Garensterz View Post
    Nope

I just hate how it all downgraded from it's predecessor.
    Precisely this. If it was the first game in the series then we would probably say that it was a good game, its the way that CA seemed to have abandoned the core principals and concepts that made the Total War series so enjoyable that has created the hatred of this game. CA's lack of communication and unwillingness to make changes called for by the community has lost them a lot of confidence and support from the Total War fanbase that has been around since the beginning of the whole series.

For me I find this game hard to stick with even if I am enjoying a campaign as I always look to the core features that I enjoyed in the original Rome. Good sequels should take what worked and was successful from the previous games, build upon mistakes and criticisms while including new features that don't change the game beyond all recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by JRR View Post
    Precisely this. If it was the first game in the series then we would probably say that it was a good game, its the way that CA seemed to have abandoned the core principals and concepts that made the Total War series so enjoyable that has created the hatred of this game. CA's lack of communication and unwillingness to make changes called for by the community has lost them a lot of confidence and support from the Total War fanbase that has been around since the beginning of the whole series.

For me I find this game hard to stick with even if I am enjoying a campaign as I always look to the core features that I enjoyed in the original Rome. Good sequels should take what worked and was successful from the previous games, build upon mistakes and criticisms while including new features that don't change the game beyond all recognition.
    Yeah they seem to be particularly bad at keeping what works while going forward. A big complaint I hear about Attila is how Rome 2 went through mountains of patches and people finally like it, then they scraped it all in Attila.

I still don't like Rome 2... but a really enjoy DEI

Quote Originally Posted by Dfwtd View Post
    I still don't like Rome 2... but a really enjoy DEI
    DEI?

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

DEI?
    Divide et Impera.

Thanks. I haven't tried it. I might give it a look for my next campaign.

Rome 2's a good game now imo. I'd even say that vanilla R2 beats vanilla Rome 1 and Medieval 2. It's much more engaging on the strategic level and has more historically authentic and more diverse unit rosters compared to Rome 1's Roundshields, Arcanii, Carthaginian Secret Police or boring hoplite spamming Greeks. Even the siege battles are improved over the old AI gate rush.

I think a lot of people forget what vanilla Rome 1 was like.
    Last edited by Jean=A=Luc; June 23, 2015 at 04:22 PM.

Senator

Even the siege battles are improved over the old AI gate rush.
    Oh god I could belive you until I read that....the AI in Rome 1 and MED2 actually used towers, ladders and rams.

I think a lot of people forget what vanilla Rome 1 was like.
    And I think you never played it....see baseless assumptions are a fine thing.
    Last edited by Sint; June 23, 2015 at 05:04 PM.
    Elder Scrolls Online :Messing up the Lore since 2007...

Well overhand or underhand: 3:50 Onwards...

Quote Originally Posted by Sint View Post
    Oh god I could belive you until I read that....
    90% of the army would go for the gate and if the gate breaks other units would abandon whatever they're doing and run to jam themselves into the gateway. Holding behind the gate while oil kills hundreds upon hundreds of packed enemy troops was the main siege defense "tactic" in Med 2.

the AI in Rome 1 and MED2 actually used towers, ladders and rams.
    As opposed to? Let's see.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Multiples sieges engines utilized.

Approaching the walls.

Attackers have engaged, the gate's broken, the army moves in.

Units from the second wave aren't all squeezing into the gate, they're actually using towers and ladders set up by the first wave, it's a miracle.

Not only does R2 ai use siege engines it does so quite a bit better than R1/M2 ai. All it took was a year and a half of patching but hey.

...baseless assumptions are a fine thing.
    Indeed. I'll raise you one more. Aside from forgetting what vanilla R1/M2 were like many people also simply parrot old views of R2 based on older versions of the game.
    Last edited by Jean=A=Luc; June 23, 2015 at 06:46 PM.

I played a battle last night where I had 4 siege towers a ram and 2 pieces of whatever artillary come at me! Strong defensive infantry saved me big time. Macedon pikes
    Last edited by riendempsey86; June 23, 2015 at 07:17 PM. Reason: mixed up games for a moment. Playing Attila and Rome 2 simultaniously.

I played a battle last night where I had 4 siege towers a ram and 2 pieces of whatever artillary come at me! Strong defensive infantry saved me big time. Macedon pikes
    Once you try DEI...you wont go back to vanilla.

The more I hear the more I am getting pumped for it. Everyone seems to be saying the same thing about how awesome DEI is.

It's perfectly fine to like Rome 2 because it's a very good game. If the kiddies would unbunch their panties long enough to try it, they would enjoy the game. But some of the kiddies just can't seem to get those panties unbunched.

At this point in time I would recommend it to anyone. Enjoyed my Macedon campaign immensely. Going to start a Roman campaign tonight with DEI after so much praise for the mod.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    90% of the army would go for the gate and if the gate breaks other units would abandon whatever they're doing and run to jam themselves into the gateway. Holding behind the gate while oil kills hundreds upon hundreds of packed enemy troops was the main siege defense "tactic" in Med 2.

As opposed to? Let's see.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Multiples sieges engines utilized.

Approaching the walls.

Attackers have engaged, the gate's broken, the army moves in.

Units from the second wave aren't all squeezing into the gate, they're actually using towers and ladders set up by the first wave, it's a miracle.

Not only does R2 ai use siege engines it does so quite a bit better than R1/M2 ai. All it took was a year and a half of patching but hey.

Indeed. I'll raise you one more. Aside from forgetting what vanilla R1/M2 were like many people also simply parrot old views of R2 based on older versions of the game.
    1.Custom battles don't count ....
    2-"Aside from forgetting what vanilla R1/M2 were like many people also simply parrot old views of R2 based on older versions of the game."
    A lot of pople still play that games ....so no.
    3."90% of the army would go for the gate and if the gate breaks other units would abandon whatever they're doing and run to jam themselves into the gateway. Holding behind the gate while oil kills hundreds upon hundreds of packed enemy troops was the main siege defense "tactic" in Med 2."
    They do that in most R2 sieges....and no if they break the walls they would attack that gaps and they do send more man up the ladders and towers....so what exactly are trying to show?

"Attackers have engaged, the gate's broken, the army moves in."
    That's exactly what your screen shows most of them rush the gates....again what you trying so show?
    Last edited by Sint; June 24, 2015 at 09:57 AM.
    Elder Scrolls Online :Messing up the Lore since 2007...

Well overhand or underhand: 3:50 Onwards...

Garensterz's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by von stoker View Post
    It's perfectly fine to like Rome 2 because it's a very good game. If the kiddies would unbunch their panties long enough to try it, they would enjoy the game. But some of the kiddies just can't seem to get those panties unbunched.
    Kiddies? Really?

I guess you're really not that aware of the past discussions on why some preferred Rome 1 more than the second huh?

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast