Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Medieval Greek

Default Re: Medieval Greek

Hi guys!I'm really happy and I can't wait seeing spoken Greek in MTW2!!
    I would like to help with the translation of the basic commands from English to Medieval Greek.
    But first I would like to clear some things up.
    Having read the Alexiad(a byzantine history book of Anna Komnene,in which she narrates the era of her father,Alexios Komnenos 1080-1118)I can ASSURE you that in Medieval Byzantium,SPOKEN Greek were pretty similar to Modern Greek.Only the nobles who had a basic education of the Ancient writings could write in Ancient Greek.In my opinion,the closest we can get to Medieval Greek,is by using part of the Kathareuousa(without the tonic system for God's sake!)and part of ancient Greek's suffixes.
    I have also checked the wikipedias article and I can assure you that anyone who knows Modern Greek can read and pronounce all Byzantine words easily!!
    So the job will prove quite easy.
    I would suggest using a team of only greeks,so we don't have any mix in the pronounciation...

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

Unfortunately, I'm shutting this project down. Much as I'd love to have spoken Greek in the game, I've given up on anyone actually following through on their promises with this mod. Even if someone would ever actually translate the lines into Medieval Greek (and believe me, many have said they would but didn't), we'd still need to find a number of good voice actors, all of them with decent recording equipment.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Unfortunately, I'm shutting this project down. Much as I'd love to have spoken Greek in the game, I've given up on anyone actually following through on their promises with this mod. Even if someone would ever actually translate the lines into Medieval Greek (and believe me, many have said they would but didn't), we'd still need to find a number of good voice actors, all of them with decent recording equipment.
    Oh...........ok............
    You could though try and communicate with Sega,in case she can do something....

She?
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

She?
    Ι meant the sega corporation, sorry!

Haha. No, I don't think SEGA would be interested... if they were, they would have done something already. SEGA wouldn't even make a Greek localization, due to widespread software piracy in Greece. They did make a Russian localization though, which is weird, I mean, I have a hard time imagining piracy could be worse in Greece than in Russia. Anyway, if there was a Greek localization of the game, or any other localization I haven't heard about so far, I'd be very happy to implement samples from it into Xenophonia.

Haha. No, I don't think SEGA would be interested... if they were, they would have done something already. SEGA wouldn't even make a Greek localization, due to widespread software piracy in Greece. They did make a Russian localization though, which is weird, I mean, I have a hard time imagining piracy could be worse in Greece than in Russia. Anyway, if there was a Greek localization of the game, or any other localization I haven't heard about so far, I'd be very happy to implement samples from it into Xenophonia.
    No believe me,I can assure you that Greece is the King of piracy.I think it's about 90%!!!
    Anyway,are you sure you want to give up??
    Believe me we don't really need actors,just a team of Greek people to pronounce the words,just that.You could prepare the texts.Come on,it's not that hard to achieve!!

Considering how nothing has happened in several years despite the number of people who have offered their help, I think it is very hard to achieve. By voice actors I do not mean professional actors, but we need some people who can read these lines and do it well.

Very well, if you think this can be done, why don't you try to get the people who posted in this thread before and try to get them back on this project? The translations still need to be done and we still don't have a single person to record anything. We will need about 10 people (although many of them don't need to do very much, some need to do a lot of recording).

Considering how nothing has happened in several years despite the number of people who have offered their help, I think it is very hard to achieve. By voice actors I do not mean professional actors, but we need some people who can read these lines and do it well.

Very well, if you think this can be done, why don't you try to get the people who posted in this thread before and try to get them back on this project? The translations still need to be done and we still don't have a single person to record anything. We will need about 10 people (although many of them don't need to do very much, some need to do a lot of recording).
    I'll try and come in contact with them.In the meantime, please send me the texts and I'll try to do something about the translation.I promise I'll be quick,it won't be hard.

You could start with these...

http://xenophonia.ngst.nu/msd/medbatt.txt
    http://xenophonia.ngst.nu/msd/medpreb.txt

I know Biohaker posted some translations of his back on page 3 of this thread. Maybe he has done more that he hasn't posted yet.

You could start with these...

http://xenophonia.ngst.nu/msd/medbatt.txt
    http://xenophonia.ngst.nu/msd/medpreb.txt

I know Biohaker posted some translations of his back on page 3 of this thread. Maybe he has done more that he hasn't posted yet.
    Wow,that's quite huge!!I have sent a pm to biohaker but he hasn't answered me yet.
    I'll do my best.Where should I sent the translations(when I'm done)?

Get it done and I'll tell you. When you're done, there are 2 more documents that are just as long. The great amount of text is probably the reason why everyone keeps quitting, even if they were very enthusiastic at first.

biohaker's Avatar Semisalis

Heyz, I was thinking about it, When I find time, I will return to it.
    "Graecia capta ferum victorem cepit, et artes intulit agresti Latio"

Horatius

I hope the two of you can collaborate on this. Good luck!

Any progress?

Beiss,I am trying to cooperate with biohaker.
    Personally I estimate to have the first two pages translated properly in about 5 to 10 days ok?

That's fine. It'll probably be months before I'm done doing what I'm doing, so if you can get it done that fast, that would be great. Your work will be in vain, however, if we don't find any voice actors.

That's fine. It'll probably be months before I'm done doing what I'm doing, so if you can get it done that fast, that would be great. Your work will be in vain, however, if we don't find any voice actors.
    You said you were trying to seek help from the EB team.They may have some good actors to say the words.....

I've actually spoken with one of them but he didn't seem particularily interested. I'll try to find some others. The more translated text I can show them, however, the more likely they are to be interested in helping out.

Any progress yet? It's better to have slow but continuous progress than to have everything done at once or not at all. Please tell me if you've made any significant progress.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast