Thread: How Do You Build Units?

Default How Do You Build Units?

Ugh. Frustrated.

I've never played RS before, but I have played similar mods in the past (EB), so I understand AoR's, destroying improper buildings, etc. I'm playing 0 Turn Rome.

Title says it all. I can build Polybian legions in Rome. I can building auxiliaries in a couple northern Italian cities.. The vast majority of my cities I can build nothing at all. I start with a city in Spain and a city in Greece. Basically, my plan was to build up the infrastructure in these two cities and then unleash my respective conquests of Spain and Greece.

What do I have to build to recruit units? I've built Oppidiums. Still nothing. Do I have to destroy stuff? Arretium has an Allied Barracks building, but I can't build that in either of these other cities. I saw in the unit description that I have to build Import Weapon Metal, but I don't have the option to build that, either. I don't see anything that recruits units in the building browser. I don't want to build fake legions in Arretium. How can I make Arretium build real legions?

Is there a FAQ somewhere? I looked through the stickies before posting, but all I found was a really long first 10 years walkthrough.

Thanks!

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: How Do You Build Units?

I'll try to explain it as well as I can

First you need to decide whether you want to annex or make the city a Allied/Client State
    To do this build 'Government type'>>>>leading to the choice either Annex or Allied/Client State
    Annex allows for republican legions further down the line.... Allied/Client allows for wide AOR local units and 'fake' legions
    Client State once it reaches it's max and also given citizenship can also recruit real legions later on

To make weapons
    'Mineral Import Facility' >>> Ignore 'precious metals' for economy , focus on 'weapons metal' for the blacksmith. You can only have one so if there is previously a 'precious metals' building present and no option to build a blacksmith or recruit units then you will need to destroy 'precious metals' and start again. (If you want to recruit units in that city and not focus on economy)

I think you need to reach the 3rd level oppidium to build roman troops if you go down that line. But that's a more 'complete' method of romanising a city but takes longer, I may be wrong. See if this works, I don't have access to the game atm so I might be missing something

Edit: You may also need to build ;
    Regional focus. This leads to the choice either 'economic settlement' or 'fortified settlement'. You'll need more economic settlements than fortified but fortified settlements allow for a higher level blacksmith and more experience for troops I think. Again all cities if advanced enough can still recruit troops even if only an 'economic settlement' but the fortified ones provide bonuses I'm sure, don't know if they allow quicker access to troops.
    Last edited by Agrippa19; June 20, 2015 at 01:56 PM.

Gotcha. Thanks for the reply!

So, long story short: a city has to be level 3 before it can build ANYTHING, even auxiliaries?

No offense, but... Ugh. I don't like this.

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Darpaek View Post
    So, long story short: a city has to be level 3 before it can build ANYTHING, even auxiliaries?
    Not the city, but you have to have 'weapons import' if there is no iron or metal for weapons available,,, a 'goverment type' selected(so either annex or client),,,, and I'm not sure about the oppidium but the first level is not enough.

Read the description and if it says you need to build something, and that something is not available then;

build something else to allow it's construction eg.. mineral import facility>>>weapons import>>>blacksmith
    or destroy the chain to start again...eg in an annexed region that you want access to AOR troops you have to destroy the annex building then build 'government type' again>>>client state

Again I'd like if someone would comment to say how the oppidium comes into play. It's been months since I played properly as I haven't had time but I think the oppidium is to do with law and annexed regions. It takes a long time for the oppidium building tree to be maxed out before you get those polybian cohorts
    Last edited by Agrippa19; June 20, 2015 at 04:58 PM.

Okay. I built Citizenship in Aurelius. It's still building fake legions.

I managed to get Capua, Tarentum, and Cannae to build real legions, but they're now out of manpower because I can't retrain in any of my conquered cities and I have no auxiliaries.

I have half of Greece and Spain, but I can't build auxiliaries anywhere. Ariminum is still a lvl 2, there's no Import Metal building, but it's able to build fake legions.

Thanks for the help, but I think I'm gonna hang it up. Losing a game because I don't know the rules is no fun.

Arretium not Aurelius. Stupid autocorrect.

Lol I can't even figure out how to edit a post on this message board. I think I'm too dumb for this game.

You need weapons metal import or weapon metal supply in the region--I believe arretium needs it.
    To upgrade your barracks to the next level you need to build a "supply of army rations." It's always the last item in the list. Likewise, it needs to be a fortified, or merged region.

Right.

My Mediolanon is a level 3 city. It has a level 3 barracks. It has Import Weapon Metal, Fortified Region, and Army Rations. It is Annexed.

Mediolanon builds Spies, Assassins, and Diplomats, and NOTHING ELSE.

When you annex you can't build any troops until you build a mercenary recruitment center or grant it citizenship, whence you can build troops.

How do I build those, then? I don't have the option to build either and I've never seen anything called a Mercenary Recruitment Center in any of my cities.

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

Could you provide a screenshot of your building browser and what you've already built and what's available for recruitment, then I'll tell you what you're missing?

Edit: hopefully this link >>> http://www.mediafire.com/view/?8uvwl6p66yibaj6 will help a bit.. It outlines the oppidium level and city level needed to recruit units. Some units must have the city 'fortified'. Others don't. It seems most units require the settlement to be 'large town' or 'city' level before decent units are recruitable.

Large town at least or city.
    Regional focus >>> fortified settlement
    Oppidium lvl 3.
    Iron must be a resource in the settlement or else weapons metal import will need to be build >>> blacksmith/foundary
    Army rations to upgrade barracks. Then build the barracks.
    Governement Type >>> 'Annex' or 'Client State' (then client state barracks tree, 3 levels I think?)>>> 'Citizenship' if recruitment still not available
    Last edited by Agrippa19; June 22, 2015 at 07:44 AM.

Okay, I've had the Marian reforms now. I built a bunch of Roman Fortresses, but I've discovered that I can't retrain numbered legions outside of the barracks they were built at, so I have to destroy the MICs in most of my cities that can build stuff so I can roll back to the Campus Martius and generic legions. Is this WAD? If so, it's a REALLY bad design decision.

This is my Mediolanum: The first screenshot is my recruitment tab showing I can build nothing with the Oppidum description open showing that I should be able to build a lot of stuff.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yk82vgiduj7otpk/1.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kny3fzohmg1c6o3/2.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/641v4gw9iqnlrsb/3.jpg?dl=0

This is my Byzantion: Again, the first screenshot is my recruitment tab showing I can build nothing with the Roman Fortress description open showing that I should be able to build a lot of stuff. I was able to build generic legions at Byzantion before I upgraded to the fortress.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rgrz3j7qmhvarlo/4.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o8ozl4mqjt1wlub/5.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6n1hn4j2bz99mpo/6.jpg?dl=0
    Last edited by Darpaek; June 22, 2015 at 11:42 AM.

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

• To set the basework for recruiting numbered and named legions, you must build a Supply of Army Rations in the city you wish to recruit from
    • To be able to recruit the Hamata or "Republican" legions, you must build a Roman Fortress in the city you wish to recruit from.
    • To be able to recruit the Segmentata or "Imperial" legions, you must build a Curia Hostilia in the city you wish to recruit from.
    • To be able to recruit early Praetorian legions, you must build the Praetorian Guard Training Ground in Rome.
    • To be able to recruit late Praetorian legions, you must build the Castra Praetoria in Rome.

This is is taken from ybbon in the 'everything about RS2' thread .

According to your pics you're doing everything right. It's just that you chose annex which naturally takes longer but gives stronger troops. In medialonin you're upgrading the city after which the Curia should be available and when that's built you'll be ready to go. And in Byzantium you're already doing that so troops should be available when that's built as long as the barracks is built and everything else we mentioned earlier.

And plus I don't think you should build those fortresses (as in those Roman fortresses, I'm not referring to fortified settlement) until you've built the circus maximus in Rome. As they only allow access to imperial legions, not generic. Those imperial reforms are another set of reforms after the Marian ones triggered by building the circus maximus in Rome allowing the recruitment of auxiliary and named&numbered legions.

It takes a long time to get troops in foreign cities in RS2 but that's the historical accuracy of it and it also discouraged steamrolling the AI hope it all works out from here

edit: also sorry just noticed but I'm pretty sure because you've built those fortresses you won't be able to recruit there until the next imperial reforms.
    Last edited by Agrippa19; June 22, 2015 at 12:12 PM.

I built the Curia in Byzantion. It still doesn't make any units. I destroyed my MICs and started over. I wish the description said, "Oh, by the way, this doesn't do anything until you hit the next reform."

I finished the Medio city upgrade. I wasn't given the option to build a Campus Martius. I've noticed this in other cities, and then it seems almost randomly, I'll be able to build it a few turns later.

I was worried I screwed up the installation and that's why things weren't working properly because some buildings not having pictures (as in the screenshots).

And, just to confirm: numbered legions can only be retrained in the barracks they're built at - right?

I think I'm going to start over. I feel like I screwed up.

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

Also just noticed you haven't built the blacksmith in either of those cities

Honestly - the old required building trees are indeed in the stickies - it really is worth a good read through before and whilst playing.

When it comes to what you can build, I assure you that RSII contains the most realistic/mostly historic units ever presented.

You do, you are recommended, have to plan somewhat.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.