Thread: The Regency (Empire and Republic related material) Chapter 2 22/06

Senator

Default The Regency (Empire and Republic related material) Chapter 2 22/06

250 years before Empire and Republic, there was the Regency.

The Empire: The five main regions#

The Heartlands: The centre of the Empire stretches for almost two hundred miles east to west and around fifty miles north to south. It's eastern portion consists of many precious metals, iron and gold mostly. The western portion is dominated by Amorta City, capital of the Empire. Aside from the Emperors themselves, the other main family in the area are the Deepmines, so called because of their vast mining operations.

The Bluffs: South of the Heartlands are the vast plains that make up the Bluffs. The Bluffs themselves are the five great pillars that rise from the plains, supposedly pulled up by Giants in ancient days. The capital, Bryant's Bluff, is the largest of these Bluffs, rising two hundred feet high and five hundred feet across, a town built upon the summit. The ruling family is the Bryants, though another notable family is the Krannols of Krannol's Bluff.

Giantsgrave: North of the Heartlands lie the rugged lands of Giantsgrave. The least populated part of the Empire, many of its inhabitants live in and around the region's capital of Giantsgrave. The city itself is built in amid the bones of long dead giants, two huge skulls make up the two entrances to the settlement. The ruling family is the Montagues, chief among their vassals are the Kricks.

Kaprea: The breadbasket of the Empire, Kaprea is the western province of the Empire and is bordered on almost all sides with the ocean. With the bounties of the ocean at it's disposal and thanks to it being the only place one can find sapphires, it is ridiculously rich. It is ruled by the Gullwings, other notable families include the Stormsails and the Blackwaters.

Krikaeron: The City of Hosts, it is an independent realm ruled by the Hosts, where they manage their own affairs and ensure that no Hosts cause damage to the rest of the Empire. Their rulers are elected, though in practice this involves the strongest defeating his nearest rivals.

From the parchments of an anonymous historian '90 Years: The Reign of Emperor Gaius'

Though it is hard to detail the full extent of the early years of Gaius, one thing is certain, his court was dominated by Copil Bryant and his associates. The story of the Bryant Regency is one that is destined to go down in history as a tale of murder, intrigue and a power struggle that would last for over a decade. One thing is certain, it all began with the death of the Fourth Emperor Karlius in the year 103 AK, one summer afternoon.

Chapter 1

The sun beat down on a hot summer day, 103 years after Karm’s ascension as the first Emperor. The Fourth Emperor, Karlius, was riding at the head of a long train of bodyguards, noblemen and servants. The long days were the days of peace for Empire, the season of plenty where the ogres and wyverns would withdraw to their caverns and raids on villages were few and far between. Beside him rode Copil Bryant, Lord of the Bluffs and Haemon Montague, the first son of the current Lord Montague, Lord of Giantsgrave. Copil’s beard was a short, light brown one, his green eyes gleaming with excitement. It had been years since he’d been on a good hunt, and today was a particularly wonderful day for one.

As they trotted along, the Emperor turned to Copil and spoke.

“So, Lord Bryant, how many deer do you think you’ll get today?”

“I must confess that I’m rather out of practice.” Copil responded.

“Well, I’ll go easy on you this time. But if we hunt next week I’ll expect a stiff challenge.” The Emperor replied.

“You have young Montague for that kind of challenge, not an old fellow like me.”

“Come now. You’re not even forty yet.” Young Montague responded, a grin on his youthful face.

The three laughed at that, but then a terrible roar sent birds flying from the treetops and brought the train to a stuttering halt. It was a roar that struck fear into Copil’s heart, he’d heard it once before.

Ogres.

He turned to the Emperor.

“Your majesty, that was an ogre roaring. I’ll scout ahead to check numbers.”

He spurred his horse, and was quickly followed by Haemon, who probably believed in strength in numbers. Though granted, from all Copil had seen, two men against one ogre was a gross mismatch that could only end in two dead men.

They raced around a bend in the road. There was nothing on the road, no ominous footprints or markings at all.

“Where is it?” Montague asked tentatively. Copil didn’t think the boy had ever seen an ogre before, so he expected such tentativeness.

“Strange. Ogres are never known for their stealth and cunning. Where-“

His words were answered as a terrible roar came from his right and the ogre burst out of the forest right beside them. Montague’s horse reared as it happened, sending him to the ground right at the ogre’s feet. As he scrambled up and tried to grab his sword, the ogre grabbed him in a huge hand and swung him, screaming in fear, directly into a tree. There was a crunch and the scream stopped instantly. Copil then realised his own plight, but found himself rooted, watching as the ogre ripped the lifeless body in two and ate the bottom half. Then it raised its head, red as a tomato, a huge nose and a huge humanlike mouth with two rows of teeth, currently with rivers of gore running down then.

It noticed Copil and perhaps realising that there was a second potential dinner in sight, charged. Copil seemed to regain control of his body and bolted on his horse, rushing back round the corner, back to the Emperor. As he rounded the corner and the ogres clumsy footsteps slowly faded, he saw the Emperor’s train, still standing, waiting for news. He saw the looks on their faces at his own panic and then saw the shocked realisation when they realised that Haemon wasn’t with him.

He charged up, his face pale and covered in sweat.

“Where’s Montague?” the Emperor demanded, his bow resting in his hand, an arrow notched.

Copil just shook his head, he couldn’t really bear to recount what had just happened. He didn’t need to go into much detail, because then the ogre rounded the corner, running like a human, but in its clumsy way.

The Emperor raised his bow, still sitting on horseback, behind a shield wall of retainers and noblemen. Copil joined them and he saw that many of them were shaking in their boots. Not that he could blame them, the Emperor was young, so naturally many older noblemen thought that sending younger sons to curry favour would work well, but sadly that mean that these men were just inexperienced. The few trained bodyguards there were would be hard pressed to deal with such a beast.

The Emperor then released an arrow, it flew and struck the ogre in the chest as it charged, seemingly causing little damage. He swore and notched another arrow, just as the ogre reached the shield wall. With a roar, the wall charged, Copil calling out,

“Surround it! Aim for the backs of the legs!”

Granted, this was what he’d heard his father say the last time he’d met an ogre. It then occurred to him that his father had been killed during that fight. He found himself hacking feebly at the ogre’s shin, his sword bouncing off the flesh. Then he looked up, just as a huge red arm came sweeping across the ogres front, directly towards him

Oh bolloc-

Copil was hit full force by the blow, along with two other unfortunates. He flew off the path, sword flying from his hand and landed on some thick grass by the side of the road, in between two trees. He shook his head, dazed and looked up, just
    to see another unfortunate being plucked from the ground and thrown against a nearby tree. Apparently this was this ogres favourite method of execution. Maybe they were more intelligent than they were given credit for.

Then the second arrow flew from the Emperor’s bow, striking the ogre’s left eye. That had an effect, the ogre roared and a hand moved up to its face, as if trying to work out how to remove the arrow. Copil was reminded of an old rhyme that soldiers were taught in the Bluffs regarding ogre.

“Shoot it in the eye, or say goodbye.”

The person who came up with it was hardly a poet, but it was good advice. Unfortunately, it didn’t detail what to do if the ogre wasn’t killed by being hit in the eye.

The ogre lowered its hand, fixed it’s one good eye on the Emperor, who was notching another arrow and charged, leaving the retinue attacking it in its wake. Two of the bodyguards that stood close to the Emperor held their ground and were smashed aside by the ogre as it charged. As it closed in the Emperor released his arrow, striking it in the other eye. It roared once more, and this spooked the Emperor’s horse, it bolted, sending the Emperor flying from the saddle, his legs entangled in the stirrups.

Copil jumped to his feet, rushing past the now dead ogre, as the Emperor went up the road, his cries of anguish fading into the distance, his head bouncing off the loose stones on the road as he was dragged along. Then at last, he came loose and rolled several times before coming to a stop. Copil sprinted up the road, coming up to the Emperor after passing a trail of blood.

The Emperor’s breathing was laboured and heavy, his black beard covered in dust and blood. His piercing red eyes seemed unfocused, but as Copil knelt he turned his head and they seemed to regain some of that focus, gazing at Copil.

“Is the damned thing…dead?”

“Yes. An excellent shot if I must say. And only minimal damage done in return.” It was a poor joke, but anything to lighten the mood might just help the Emperor, given his situation.

“Stop spouting your usual , old man. I can feel stones in my back. I feel my back covered in my own blood.”

He was right; a pool was starting to form beneath him and rapidly. Copil grabbed the Emperor’s hand and clutched it, trying to keep the Emperor aware of movement.

“You’ll be fine, a healer host is in Amorta City, you’ll be fine.”

“I won’t live that long, Bryant. Now…about my son.”

“You’ll live. Tell him yourself.”

“Shut up, old fool…’koff, koff’…look after my boy. Help him become a….bettter…kkkkkkkkk…..Emperor than I…than I…ever…was…kkkkk.”

He hacked and coughed, blood pouring onto his beard, before at last he was still, his eyes closing as he breathed his last. Copil stood up as other noblemen rushed up. He turned, tears pouring from his eyes and spoke with a wavering voice.

“The Emperor is dead. Long live Emperor Gaius!”

And they knelt before him, all cheering the same cry.

I'm reconsidering what I've posted regarding Empire and Republic. I intend to go back and edit my old stuff, but for now I decided to focus on a new story set in that world.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: The Regency (Empire and Republic related material)

An intriguing start, I look forward to seeing how your story develops.

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Great start! Too bad the emperor died. At least he took the ogre's eyes out. Probably saved more lives. Can't wait to read more.
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Senator

Chapter 2
    Copil looked up from his desk as trumpets and drums began to sound. He peered out of the window in his room, situated high up in the Crown, the citadel at the very centre of Amorta. In the distance he saw approaching horsemen, banners fluttering in the wind.

Gravesmen…

Clearly Lord Montague was eager to see his son, what little they had managed to salvage. His bottom half was missing and his head was a misshapen mess. Not that Copil cared too much about how Montague would react when he saw his son’s remains, he was much more concerned about how Montague might react if he came across him. The Lord of Giantsgrave was not known for forgiveness, or for peaceful negotiation.

He’d sent out the letters two weeks ago, when they returned with the Emperor’s body. As custom, when the Emperor died the ten most important people in the Empire were called together for a council to discuss policy for the next ten years. As there were ten of them, they were referred to as the Emperor’s Fingers. Copil was one of them, and he knew what an advantageous position he was in, considering that this council would also be deciding the Emperor’s regency. A regency that Copil had every intention of heading.

His mind was wrenched from such dark thoughts as his door opened. He turned and saw a man in a travellers cloak walk in. Copil smiled instantly, before him stood Liro Krannol, his chief vassal and most loyal of all.

“Ah, Liro! Good to see you old friend. I trust your journey was good?”

“Nearly killed my horse to get here, but here I am, just in time.”

“Indeed, Montague is just outside the gates. Before he kills me, I’d quite like to know if everything I instructed has occurred.”

“All your vassals have mobilised, my Lord. If called upon, they can be grouped up within a week and be marching into this very city within the month.” Liro replied, bowing his head, long black hair flowing past his ears.

“Excellent. The Emperor instructed me to keep his son safe, I will tolerate no attempt to usurp my authority. Now the question is, do we let them know at the council, or as they arrive?”

The drums and trumpets grew louder and the two turned back to the window. The Gravesmen had entered the city and were snaking through the winding roads. The city had not been well organised, one of the problems of it having just sprung up around the Crown, thus creating a maze of streets that one could get lost in for days, amid wooden structures that hid the dregs of the city.

“Maybe Lord Montague will take kindly to your honest explanation about what happened with his son.”

“He won’t, I’ve heard about his rage. I heard that he once got so furious on a hunt that he hurled his spear and it impaled two deer.”

“I’ll be sure to stand well away from you then.” Liro replied. Copil had forgotten how dry Liro’s humour was, though it never ceased to put a smile on his face. Even if he was facing imminent death. With a long sigh he stood up from his desk and headed towards the door.

“We should probably meet Montague. It wouldn’t do to keep such an honoured guest waiting.”

They headed through the many corridors and floors that made up the Crown, emerging out into the courtyard; the portcullis of the curtain wall was opening and through it poured the mounted Gravesmen. In the middle of all of them sat Lord Montague, in full armour with the twin skulls of Giantsgrave emblazoned on his front. His face was as hard as stone, eyes set dead ahead, mouth a thin line that moved nary an inch, not even to breathe. Copil grimly reminded himself that most men didn’t wear battle armour for civil meetings, and exactly what that implied.

Still, he stepped out, flanked by Liro and strode up as Montague dismounted, surrounded by his retinue. He stuck out a hand as he approached.

“Lord Montague. I trust your journey was-“

He was cut off by a vicious punch to the stomach from Montague, as he doubled over a boot slammed into his side, sending him toppling. Gagging, Copil dragged himself away as Montague roared, sending the whole courtyard into a terrified silence.

“Bryant! You dare show your face to me? I hear stories about what happened to my son, you miserable cur! Prepare to die!”

Liro stepped between the two of them as Montague went to advance.

“Enough, Lord Montague. Such things will not-“

The arm of Montague swung outwards and knocked Liro aside, the furious lord continued to advance on Copil. He grabbed him by the throat and lifted him up. Copil gagged and choked as Montague’s blue eyes looked him up and down, hatred branded into them.

“Now, I shall use your blood as a fitting sacrifice for the life of my son.” He said. Copil tried to say something, anything. But his words were useless, choked by the hand of Montague. The lord reached to his side for his dagger, Copil reached down for his own, to find his side empty.

Damn it!

Montague raised the dagger, a grin on his face, and placed it on the tip of Copil’s nose, its cold steel blade causing him to flinch, as well as the terror it posed.

“Through the front, right side. Puncture the lung, you’ll die slower. Give my regards to your father, in whatever damned place he ended up in.”

As he raised the dagger to strike, a voice shouted out from the steps,

“Horson Montague! What is the meaning of this?”

Montague stopped and turned. Upon the steps stood a woman in black, around her neck a sapphire necklace. She glared at him and stormed over, past the slowly recovering Liro and slapped Montague in the face. Copil was instantly dropped, crashing to the ground as the two embraced.

“Sister…I…” Montague said, his head hanging in shame as they pulled apart.

“We have both suffered losses, brother. I lost Karlius and you….you lost Haemon. Gutting Lord Bryant will do nothing to change this.”

“You…you’re right sister. As always.” He straightened up and spoke in a far stronger voice,

“Very well, my Empress. Take me to see my son.”

She took him by the hand and led him inside the Crown, his retinue dispersed to stable the horses, or to head into the city for entertainment or a drink.
    Copil stood up slowly, wiping his hand across his throat, which by now was quite sore. Liro was also up by now, nursing the bruise to his face. Copil shook his head as he approached.

“He has quite the grip.”

“And quite the forearm.” Liro replied

“I haven’t been beaten that hard since my father last drank too much.”

“All joking aside, if he does anything like that again, poison him.” Copil finished and turned on his heels, heading back into the Crown. While he could take a joke with the most humorous of men, insults were not something he forgot, or forgave.