Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

Thread: NEW FACTIONS UNITS ROSTERS

Default Re: NEW FACTIONS UNITS ROSTERS

saw that, very lacking in details regarding the battle itself, still entertaining nonetheless

Lifthrasir's Avatar My brain hurts!!!
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Regarding the battle of Bouvines, there was no professional troops in the real meaning. These jkind of troops didn't appear in France before the Hunderd Years War. To be confirmed b ut it seems that most of the troops on the french side were composed by urban militia (provided by 17 free towns) and feodal troops mostly with knights, mounted sergeants and Gendarmes from Brittany. I can't find any mention of missile troops but mercenary crossbowmen (Italian) were often used during that period. So that's still a possibility.

It is also interesting to note that most of the English forces lead by the king John Lackland were "defeated" by the French Heir Louis VIII at the battle of La Roche aux Moines near Angers. Actually, it wasn't a real battle. John Lackland was besieging the castle of La Roche aux Moines to secure his way to Paris. Louis VIII arrived with his army but John Lackland just fleed.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, of the Imperial House of Hader

- Submissions open
    - Winners revealed
    - Winners revealed

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    It is also interesting to note that most of the English forces lead by the king John Lackland were "defeated" by the French Heir Louis VIII at the battle of La Roche aux Moines near Angers. Actually, it wasn't a real battle. John Lackland was besieging the castle of La Roche aux Moines to secure his way to Paris. Louis VIII arrived with his army but John Lackland just fleed.
    i know

however earl of salisbury was present at the battle leading a few english troops on the right flank

EDIT: to be fair i didnt find any mentions of missile troops too until recently i came across this http://www.arsbellica.it/pagine/medi.../Bouvines.html
    Last edited by Dekhatres; Today at 02:25 PM.

Regarding Bouvines, Philip also fielded about a 100 mounted crossbowmen there.

Come to think of it, the English also employed mounted crossbowmen during the 13th century, the Germans as well.

Should these factions be given mounted crossbowmen for their roster?

I suggest, to simulate their mercenary renown and skill, as well as low numbers, to make them an expensive, armored and deadly unit but with half the number of the usual light cavalry, so 40-50 men(on huge scale ofc).

Or rather, make a single mounted crossbowmen mercenary unit, and just make them available across the Catholic world apart from Iberia.

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34