Thread: Scourge of war Waterloo, battle with 313 000 soldiers

Default Scourge of war Waterloo, battle with 313 000 soldiers

Playing the sandbox campaign, As Wellington/Blücher I have a combined force of 220 000 soldiers, vs Napoleons 122 000

The major battles as I "trap" Napoleon at Sombreffe

V[/URL]

I wasn't sure if Napoleon had his whole army with him or not, I had my enitre force except for Price of Orange's Corps.
    Turnes out he did have his whole army, I had 191 000 soldiers vs his 122 000, Thats 313 000 soldiers, I play at 1:4 so thats 77 000 thousand soldier sprites.
    The battle started north of town, prussians hit the french.

It's getting serious! Atleat two divisions of french. My army is so huge I still don't know were most of it is, the map only shows units in my vicinity.
    Given the size of the map, and all orders go by curriers it takes some time to get control. I feed troops into this battle north of town, I also ocupy the town.

Death toll rises!

Prussian Voluntare jegers.
    [/URL]

I get a hold of some prussian cav, forcing the french into squares!
    [/URL]

I also order a British hussar brigade to flank the french north, 1500 dashing hussars, decend on the french arty and drive them off! So far no French cav, so now the two divisions are alone, beeing surrounded by cav, arty and infantry.

Forced in square no were to go, they get murderd!
    [

And just to be a dick(a mean a good commander) I get Pictons division to attack from the south, the french have units attacking them from the south, west and north!

And the collaps begins, about 5000 cav, 15 000+ infantry and about a 100 guns is just to much. they start to run and get cut down.

[/URL]

Atleast 5000 dead and wounded from this battle..
    [/URL]

While the action happens to the North, my cav meets some french cav to the east of town.

[/URL]
    It escalates quickly!

I[/URL]

Escalate ALOT!
    [/URL]

ALOT....

[/URL]

Dead and wounded start to rise quickly

[/URL]

[/URL]

After a lull up north, the Old guards start wandring into my units, Sure it's the old guard, but it's a single divsion, Easy prey, I get my cav to force them in square, Then start to blow holes in them with arty.
    [/URL]

Even fruther north(big map) I have some Hanoverians, sure they are basicly milita and untrained, And the old guard is the old guard, but most are in squre, my divison of levies can handle two and two battalions of guards.

[/URL]

They start to fall, the old guard has fallen!

[/URL]

South of the town, I spot French cuirassiers along the road, I'm not worried, The town has some 30k troops protecting it, But I do send some Nessau infantry and find some karabiners.

[/URL]

And the karabiners go inn!

[/URL]

By the end of the battle I had 22k killed and wounded, Napoelon the same.
    The Battle ended because my score got so high I won a major victroy. which I didn't like it was very artifical, in the middle of the battle with tens of thousands of men engaged it ended.

Given the objective of the campaign is to take out 50% of the enemy force, it was anyonig I was well on the way! But now i have to fight another battle and again it will end because of high score, So no ablity for one decicive battle.

Biarchus

Default Re: Scourge of war Waterloo, battle with 313 000 soldiers

Gunfreak, great AAR. Great screenshots. You should join this SOW Waterloo Forum. http://sownapoleonic.freeforums.org/index.php

Post this wonderful AAR there.

Those are wonderful screenshots.
    I am on the fence about getting this and have been scouring the official/matrix forums and the performance issues have me concerned a bit.

Yerevan's Avatar Campidoctor

Great ! THis game looks glorious.
    " Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! "

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    Those are wonderful screenshots.
    I am on the fence about getting this and have been scouring the official/matrix forums and the performance issues have me concerned a bit.

Well thats is my nr 1 complaint, with i7 3770k 3.5ghz, 16gig ram and gtx 780oc sli i get 10-14 fps on full waterloo battle, with this one i get 3-8fps.

Only thing that maters is how fast the first cpu is. If you have 4ghz cpu you will get 5-10 fps more then me, number of cores have no effect..

Even with that caveat, its easly worth the price.

There is now a mod that fixes a problem with brigades tangle up, battalions moving through each other. The mood makes everything more ordely.

There is also a mod from gettysburg, being ported over(i think its in beta ) adding, all major countries, spain, Portugal, Russia, Austria ect. Still missing poles, swedes and some german states. But looks to THE mod to get for the game.

Joseon194's Avatar Miles

This game is probably everyone's answer to a true napoleonic experience. CA had their chance to make that but they have repeatedly failed to bring an experience specific to a respective game... Napoleon total war could have been a great experience but it only turned out to be a reskinned empire... I was also skeptical to buying this game as it was $50 dollars with tax but if you have a strong love for the era, 50 buck is like losing nothing compared to what you're getting.
    "This is Stannis Baratheon. The man will fight to the bitter end and then some.

Dante Von Hespburg's Avatar Sloth's Inferno
    Moderator Emeritus

I bought this a few days ago actually after this thread basically MADE me make up my mind

So so glad i did. Best game in quite some time for atmosphere wise (I love the 'In the saddle' mode with courier system).
    House of Caesars: Under the Patronage of Char Aznable

Proud Patron of the roguishly suave Gatsby

My friend recommended it and I decided to pick it up and see how it runs initially. Therefore I've yet to read the manual in case if it answers to the second point what casualties represent in general and this is literally the first impression of several tutorial shenanigans, but:

1. The tutorial breaks very easily. You can keep playing just fine but I had to restart it at least five times because the message box simply refused pop up again after I clicked something else (like "Go to me" button after the message mentioned it) and I couldn't find message log to re-read what I missed in the first place. Then later on when my artillery arrived, because I had not closed the message box when I fiddled to move them closer after I somehow selected individual cannon that started to move and somehow bugged under ground for a while, I received no further tutorial messages. Even after the cavalry arrived and whatnot, nothing. After uncanny flashback to Histwar Napoleon I decided to do bit of learning by doing and ordered my cavalry to do pretty stupid move of attack against square, which leads me to...

2. Abrupt massacre of over 100-150+ cavalrymen in roughly one second or so. Now, I am not going to deny effectiveness of proper square against cavalry but since the game seems to run on real time and scale everything pretty overall, when I ordered the brigade to forcefully attack the squared French infantry - since the tutorial was broken beyond recognition at this point with messages and whatnot - in matter of mere couple of seconds one squadron suffered over 60 casualties and another one at least 25 and the last one was basically annihilated on the spot. I wonder how hungry those Frenchmen were or did they use time travel to bring some nasty close-range surprise to the mix, since I wonder if such horrendous casualties actually happened.

Otherwise it looks quite interesting and solid, but what is up with strategy games and easy-to-break tutorials? Arbitrary bread and butter contract?
    Last edited by Mjarr; June 29, 2015 at 01:38 PM.

Awesome battle! I LOVE this game. Best Napoleonic wargame of all time, bar none. One of the greatest war games of all time for ANY war. And we still have all the mods to get into! And modding is super easy, unlike NTW. You just click which mods you want from the game menu - couldn't be easier.

Here's a screenshot I took from a multiplayer battle - I did a coop with a guy I found in the lobby and it ended up being an awesome fight. The AI hit us hard, but I held the center while he worked around their left flank and we eventually pushed them back and broke their lines for a massive victory. This screenshot is a pic of their lines at one point - it was a bit daunting!

It looks so niceeeeeeeeeee, but that price tough.

After playing few scenarios, one full battle as Napoleon and some tests in the sandbox campaign on the Coalition side, I'm not going to lie: I have very mixed views about the game. It plays fine and has quite interesting tension going on when you get to play it... but that is if you actually get to play it. Direct control ala like it's RTS version of Combat Mission or even more complex Total War battle, well it works as expected. Now what really sold the game to me was the courier system, which most of the time works like handstanding on moving airplane. I had less trouble playing the 1989 Waterloo with its pedantic and old fashion text parser and sheer amount of work needed to get started than ordering artillery battery move up a slope so they can actually target the weakened line. Most of the orders are apparently too vague for the AI to understand and lack of anything more specific than "Move 300 yards" kills any kind of attempt to get something moving without stripping command so you can move something up close a bit. Why there is not "move here [assign waypoint]" order that is tied up to unit experience and commander's ability how well they follow it? On larger scale you can get this sort of work with famous landmarks and some areas, but I also ran into this trouble when I played the brigade scale scenarios and tried to use couriers. Without pretty please and very specific set of orders my skirmishers in open formation refused to move because out of "advance" "probe" "attack" etc, only "move to Hougoumont" got them to do something and act accordingly when they ran into the jägers. And then I just realised it's far easier to just micromanage almost everything to get something done, since even ordering divisional column and tell them to advance 300 yards (pretty please?) left few battalions of infantry stuck in the landscape and when they eventually got unstuck they autosquared which took 20 minutes of in-game time (!) to unsquare and finally move as intended.

Bugs? They happen. AI not perfect? Yeah, that's kinda obvious. But why is the most interesting aspect of the game so dysfunctional? It's obvious that in multiplayer with plenty of people that's far less of an issue, but in single player if my only options are to micromanage the out of everything for even somewhat easy victories by abusing some foreknowledge or hope I can get flask only to get ye can't get ye flask- in return unless I take 30 minutes of trial and error with the courier messages to find out which message actually gets something done in the next 90 minutes, I have no idea what to say. And I actually had Jerome's divisions sitting 90 minutes doing essentially nothing because my orders didn't really seem to ring any bells (probe Hougoumont, then attack, then just give random orders and wait for 10-15 minutes if something happens) before I said he is free to act as he sees fit. Now suddenly the AI actually managed to get going on the left.

(Also the manual was really disappointing since it doesn't explain nowhere near enough what some aspects are meant to be by video game logic, and the introduction is already a bad omen with rather funny error. So apparently Talonsoft's Napoleon games prior 1997 do not exist nor does Austerlitz or Waterloo with their lovely text parsers.)
    Last edited by Mjarr; July 02, 2015 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Incomplete sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Mjarr View Post
    Why there is not "move here [assign waypoint]" order that is tied up to unit experience and commander's ability how well they follow it? On larger scale you can get this sort of work with famous landmarks and some areas, but I also ran into this trouble when I played the brigade scale scenarios and tried to use couriers. Without pretty please and very specific set of orders my skirmishers in open formation refused to move because out of "advance" "probe" "attack" etc, only "move to Hougoumont" got them to do something and act accordingly when they ran into the jägers. And then I just realised it's far easier to just micromanage almost everything to get something done, since even ordering divisional column and tell them to advance 300 yards (pretty please?) left few battalions of infantry stuck in the landscape and when they eventually got unstuck they autosquared which took 20 minutes of in-game time (!) to unsquare and finally move as intended.
    Hit N to bring up the command map, and left click to choose a location for your currently selected unit/commander to march to. The personalities of the commanders will dictate how they carry out the orders. If you order a cautious general to attack, don't expect too much. If an aggressive general finds the enemy, don't expect him to hold back.

The AI works great for me. Keep in mind that just like in real life, once contact is made, things become hard to control. Just like in real life, once a division is committed it is difficult to retain control over it - combat makes things go haywire quickly.

Have you tried multiplayer yet? It's tons of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by ironbmike View Post
    Hit N to bring up the command map, and left click to choose a location for your currently selected unit/commander to march to. The personalities of the commanders will dictate how they carry out the orders. If you order a cautious general to attack, don't expect too much. If an aggressive general finds the enemy, don't expect him to hold back.

The AI works great for me. Keep in mind that just like in real life, once contact is made, things become hard to control. Just like in real life, once a division is committed it is difficult to retain control over it - combat makes things go haywire quickly.

Have you tried multiplayer yet? It's tons of fun!
    I gathered that personalities do play role in AI's interpretation of orders, but I personally ran in the constant issue that almost everyone ignored orders even when it suited (theoretically) the commander's personality until I either tried something at random or sent them to message to do as they see fit. Those few times I have managed to get the AI to do something else than play hopskotch all day long (usually on the Allied side) it's quite pleasant experience that can go both ways. Commonly the problem to me boils down that if I play the scenario on the Allied side, I can expect ignored orders whereas on the French side nobody wants to do anything until sitting several hours of in-game time under artillery fire.

Multiplayer is something on my to-do list.
    Last edited by Mjarr; July 30, 2015 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjarr View Post
    I gathered that personalities do play role in AI's interpretation of orders, but I personally ran in the constant issue that almost everyone ignored orders even when it suited (theoretically) the commander's personality until I either tried something at random or sent them to message to do as they see fit. Those few times I have managed to get the AI to do something else than play hopskotch all day long (usually on the Allied side) it's quite pleasant experience that can go both ways. Commonly the problem to me boils down that if I play the scenario on the Allied side, I can expect ignored orders whereas on the French side nobody wants to do anything until sitting several hours of in-game time under artillery fire.

Multiplayer is something on my to-do list.
    Strange, I haven't noticed AI issues like you describe. Maybe upload a save on the scourgeofwar forums for the devs to take a look at.

Multiplayer is great, send me a PM if you ever need a partner for versus or COOP.

The game is really getting attention Very interesting looking game on Waterloo. I also enjoyed your commander the great war series. I know you've had technical issues with it but hope sometime in the not too far future we can see more. Anywho.....Keep up the good work!

Its on steam now.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

Hi
    I'm getting forum not found here for this

As for the game I've only tried the tutorial so far, I really need to sit down and read the f manual before further comment.

But soldiers who walk through walls don't inspire confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by ztrain909 View Post
    Gunfreak, great AAR. Great screenshots. You should join this SOW Waterloo Forum. http://sownapoleonic.freeforums.org/index.php

Post this wonderful AAR there.

For who want know better the game before decide, I'm making a tutorials playlist about how it works, especially at AI level (which is probably the more difficult thing to understand since Manassas time)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...rok-EatSWVoIc4