Thread: Why can't I withdraw?

Default Why can't I withdraw?

Ok on campaign #4 as Rohan trying to finish off Isengard's last army Mordor starts seiging one of my eastern towns. I send a general and 3 Eodred horse archers to try and save the town or get them to back off while more troops come up. Instead the stack of 6 units attacks and I laugh maniacally. My plan to empty the quivers of my horse archers then withdraw. Only the withdraw button for my units is greyed out. So why couldn't I withdraw? Did having the HA's in loose formation have anything to do with it? Thanks.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Why can't I withdraw?

Nothing to do with the formation your men are in. Probably because you're the defending faction in a seige battle, if your troops rout (withdrawing is a voluntary rout) they rally back in the central plaza of the town. I suppose that's the problem, other possibility is that there's nowhere for your troops to move to but that's unlikely.

Hmmm, well they attacked my relief force in the open field so it wasn't for the siege reason. Hopefully it is a one time thing. If not I reload. Thanks.

Did you use up all your movement points on the campaign map on the previous turn?

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    Did you use up all your movement points on the campaign map on the previous turn?
    Yes so I could not avoid the battle but why would that keep me from withdrawing during a battle?

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Because there's nowhere for them to withdraw to, as they have no points left to move away. (?)

Ok, I never knew that was how it worked. Thanks.

I think you need like 50% of your move points to withdraw. I am not sure though as I cannot recall ever withdrawing except when attacking a settlement to wear em down a bit.

Ok I had read of others using horse archers in this fashion and wanted to do it myself.

When you do withdraw you move further than you would with the amount of move points left I believe, so that should still work if you have enough move points to withdraw. Also, I think you can just quit the battle and if your units aren't really close to the enemies they will automatically withdraw if possible. Any units near the enemy will be captured. I am pretty sure I have done that a few times in siege battles and it is a lot faster than watching them run from the field.
    Last edited by alreadyded; June 17, 2015 at 10:02 PM.

Ok, I might try that, thanks.

Ok I initiated the battle against 3300 orcs with my 4 HA's 1 RR and a general. I was able to empty my quivers, kill 581 Mordor scum for the loss of 3 men and withdraw Thanks to all.

Yes, I've just had the same problem. I was losing a battle Dale against Harad, so I wanted to accept the inevitable and salvage my high-starred general and maybe 3 or 4 units by retreating off the battlefield. I couldn't do that. I attacked them, but I must have had lots of movement points left as they were just outside my city, but not yet sieging. As I couldn't get my units away they were slaughtered, inc general. One archer unit was on skirmish orders and the harad forces chased it all over the place, taking casualties, but even though it was right next to the red border, I couldn't get it to run away and save itself. I've done this sort of thing in other TW games, so it was rather annoying. Is this a bug?

It prevents the hit-and-run tactics mentioned by the other posters, which are often a way of grinding down opponents if you are not strong enough to face them in open battle or want to slow them down while you bring up your main armies.

I usually can retreat without problems no matter that I have spent all the movement points, the exceptions being when there is nowhere to go or the way is blocked or I am there as a result of a previous defeat or retreat.

@Joseignacio. Yes, that is my experience with other TW games, but not this one. I don't know if it is an anomaly, or a general bug in TATW because I can only remember trying to do it once or twice.

I can do it too in this one. I guess it must be a matter of a different patch or you are or were using a mod... What is the experience of other players?