Thread: How to edit a faction description in the startpos and a modded pack file

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default How to edit a faction description in the startpos and a modded pack file

argonian68 asked how to edit a faction description in Darthmod, my reply is below. If you are not using Darthmod, you would need to make a modded pack file containing the localisation table (extracted from the local_en file).

How to edit a faction description
    (the description which appears on the faction selection screen)

I know a little about changing the faction description for a faction (on the faction selection screen at the start of the game). When making my Early American Revolution mod, I edited the faction description for the United States so that the 'late campaign' description for the US appears instead of 'emergent' when you play as the United States. I did the same thing for the Thirteen Colonies in my These United Colonies mod.

- Open a copy of the startpos.esf file which you would like to edit, using ESF Editor

- You will find a number for the faction description in the following location of the startpos: CAMPAIGN_STARTPOS/Main CAMPAIGN_PREOPEN_MAP_INFO/FACTION_INFOS/[name of faction you would like to edit]/[name of faction you would like to edit].

- On the right hand side of the screen, when you have selected the faction, there is an entry which begins 'start_pos_factions_description' followed by a number. That number corresponds to a number in the local_en file, which tells the game which faction description to use for which faction (on the faction selection screen at the start of the game).

In theory, it should be possible to edit a modded pack file containing the localisation database table to add a new entry for a new faction description, in the same way that people have been able to add description for new units to the localisation table. I use Pack File Manager 1.9 to edit the modded pack file which Darthmod uses to edit the local_en file. (I use PFM 1.9 because, when I try other versions of PFM, they cannot edit the local_en. Even PFM 1.9 sometimes it doesn't work - I make changes in PFM 1.9, save the file but the saved file does not include the changes - and sometimes it works.)

If you would like to edit a faction description in your copy of Darthmod, you would need to find the mod file which Darthmod uses to add the names for new units (like local_en, this file may have a name which end with _en) and open that file. If anyone would like to edit a faction description in the vanilla game, you would need to make a modded pack file. (To make a modded pack file, open Pack File Manager 1.5.9 or 3.5.1, open the local_en file, right-click on the localisation database table, select 'Extract Selected'. Then make a new modded pack file: select 'File' then 'New', then right-click on the Untitled file which appears and select 'add file', then select the localisation table which you previously extracted. Full instructions for making a modded pack file are here; these are instructions for Napoleon Total War but they work for Empire Total War as well.)

- Open the file containing the localisation database table in PFM 1.9

- Select 'Tag' on the right hand side of the screen to sort the entries in alphabetical order.

- Scroll down to the entries which begin 'start_pos_factions_description'. If your luck is like mine, at this point PFM 1.9 will crash and you'll need to start again. When you reach this point again, have a look at the existing entries, to see what they look like.

- Pick a number to go after start_pos_factions_description' which the local_en file does not already use.

- Add a new line to the bottom of the table in the local_en, entering the number which you picked after 'start_pos_factions_description' in the left hand column, and the faction description itself in the right hand column.

- Save the file.

- Re-open the file and check to see whether your new line was saved (it should appear in alphabetical order if you select 'Tag'.)

- When you have done this, you will need to to edit the 'start_pos_factions_description' in the startpos.esf (in the location explained in the previous paragraph) so that the number matches the new description which you added to the local_en file.

As I said, PFM 1.9 tends to crash during this process and sometimes does not edit the modded pack file containing the localisation table (so the edit needs to be done again). There is probably a better method, perhaps involving exporting and re-importing the TSVs - if anyone knows how to do that, I would like to know!

My other basic guides to modding ETW are listed here.
    Last edited by Alwyn; September 06, 2015 at 02:17 AM.