View Poll Results: Which describes your situation?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I have Windows 10 preview and Rome 1 Gold Steam works fine > please state details in the thread

6 17.14%
  • I have Windows 10 preview but cannot start Rome 1 at all

24 68.57%
  • I haven't tried it yet but plan to upgrade from Windows 7 / 8.1 for free end of July 2015

5 14.29%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rome 1 and Windows 10

Default Re: Rome 1 and Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzy View Post
    Ok so that post wasn't finished yet.

1. Set the preferences.txt to my desktop configuration in the Rome Total War Gold/preferences folder.
    2. Set the preferences.txt to my desktop configuration in the Rome Total War Gold/bi/preferences folder.
    3. In Steam library, right-click on Rome: Total war and go to properties. The hit the "Launch options" button and simply write down: "-ne" (without the "")
    4. RTW and RTW:BI both work fine for me on win10 now.
    I should add I did not change the AutoAliasing (AA) in the preferences.txt.
    The entire world map and in-battle screens look much better for me, now that I changed the resolution to match my desktop settings (1440x900; they were at 1024x768 before).
    However, the buildings in the building-queue @ settlements look way worse (pixelated).

what do you mean by Set the preferences.txt to my desktop configuration ?

So far I checked out different options for getting RTW1:Gold to work (Steam version) and this is what works for me:
    1. Set the preferences.txt to my desktop configuration.
    Yes, Steam version works. But the CD version still does not.
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Orphydian View Post
    For the steam version of RTW (or RTW Gold) go to your steam folder, for example:
    "C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Rome Total War Gold"
    (On my system I did not have Steam install into the "program files"-folders, but I created a different "games" folder on my C drive.)

In that folder, go to the folder called "preferences", so that would be "C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Rome Total War Gold/preferences"
    In which you will see a .txt file called "preferences.txt"
    In this file, you will need to adjust 2 values:
    "STRATEGY_RESOLUTION: "
    "BATTLE_RESOLUTION: "

These have numbers (your RTW in-game resolution)
    Change these numbers to your DESKTOP resolution (in my files both values were set to "1024x768", so I changed them to my actual resolution "1440x900")
    To know your desktop resolution, press right-click on your desktop (wallpaper) and press "Display Settings".
    At the bottom of that pop-upped screen there's a link saying "Advanced Display Settings".
    When you press on that, you will immediately see your desktop resolution displayed in a scroll-down menu. Do not change this, but remember these values (for example: 1440x900 on my system).
    These are the values you need to insert in your prefereces.txt in your RTW folder/preferences

Quote Originally Posted by Dreed View Post
    Confirmed @ 2015-08-05
    "C:\******\Total War Rome\RomeTW.exe" -ne in a shortcut for non steam version. That was all I had to do.
    You're awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by century x View Post
    Ok, so for the Disc-version of RTW to work, here we go!
    I do not own the Disc version myself (I have RTW @ Steam), nor does my PC even have a disc-drive. So I cannot check this. I can only suggest something based on my knowledge of Windows....

Change the "preferences.txt" files like I described earlier on in this topic.

I do not play RTW:Alexander, because I don't like it. So this only works for RTW+RTW:BI (It should work for Alexander too though )
    For Rome:Total War + BI:
    Go to your install-folder of RTW, whatever this may be.. It should have a file called "RomeTW.exe" (about 15MB) and a file called "RomeTW-BI.exe" (also about 15MB, but slightly less than the RomeTW.exe).

Right-click both .exe files and click on "Create shortcut". Now move this shortcut to where ever you want to start your RTW from (probably your desktop).
    Now right-click the shortcut and press "Properties".
    In the bar called "Target" you will see something like: "C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Rome Total War Gold\RomeTW.exe" (for me it's in Steam, because I have the Steam-version of RTW)
    But whatever the F!@#.. you will find your own RTW-installation folder there.
    Now do exactly and precisely this:
    1. "C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Rome Total War Gold\RomeTW.exe" --- DO NOT CHANGE THIS
    2. Behind the link I just wrote down @ 1. write down: " -ne" (WITH the space, WITHOUT the "")
    3. So it should now say @ Target: "C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Rome Total War Gold\RomeTW.exe" -ne
    4. Click "OK" at the bottom left of the "Properties" screen.
    5. Double-click the shortcut to PWN SOME ROMAN B*TT! (yes you should play as a barbarian faction, they are way more fun!)

And yes, I only created this account to help people with win10 to play RTW.. that's why I have no other forum posts.. I just !@#$%@!@# love RTW!
    Don't bug me about this.
    I have no other posts, yet my information is still reliable, so !@#$ off..
    (I have gotten some PMs about this already)

What I might have forgotten to add to the "solution" I posted, is that I run RTW & RTW:BI in compatibility mode for win7.
    To do this, go to your install-folder for RTW and locate the files:
    "RomeTW.exe" and "RomeTW-BI.exe".
    Right-click on those and go to "Poroperties".
    Then go to the tab called "Compatibility" and look all the way down to "Change settings for all users".
    Click that.
    Then select the box called "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows 7" from the scroll-down menu.
    Hit the "apply" button in the bottom-right.
    Press OK on the previous "Properties" screen.
    Start RTW // RTW:BI only after completing my previously mentioned steps on altering the "preferences.txt" and the "Steam/non-steam" edits on the startup-protocols (the " -ne" thing).

However, the buildings in the building-queue @ settlements look way worse (pixelated).
    Apart from the buildings, also the pictures of agents (spies, diplomats and assassins) look pixelated.
    This does not hinder any gameplay though.

Quote Originally Posted by century x View Post
    Can you please try my solution on this and let me know if it works for you?
    If not, I can go in a bit deeper and try to find the problem you are currently experiencing with RTW.

(Quote from Orphydian)
    Did my reply to you help you with this part?

Ok let's just make this topic more comprehensive (I know I'm the one who mucked this up, lemme try and fix this):

THIS FIX IS FOR PLAYING ROME:TOTAL WAR AND ROME:TOTAL WAR - BARBARIAN INVASION on Windows 10
    It seems like a lot of text, but it's just to cover every nimble-bimble-n00b-step along the way guys <3

1. Compatibility:
    To make RTW work, go to your install-folder for RTW and locate the files:
    "RomeTW.exe" and "RomeTW-BI.exe".
    Right-click on those and go to "Properties".
    Then go to the tab called "Compatibility" and look all the way down to "Change settings for all users".
    Click that.
    Then select the box called "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows 7" from the scroll-down menu.
    Hit the "apply" button in the bottom-right.
    Press OK on the previous "Properties" screen.

2. Preferences:
    For the steam version of RTW (or RTW Gold) go to your steam folder, for example:
    "C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Rome Total War Gold"
    (On my system I did not have Steam install into the "program files"-folders, but I created a different "games" folder on my C drive.)
    For the Disc-version of RTW, go to your install folder of RTW.

In that folder, go to the folder called "preferences", so that would be "C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Rome Total War Gold\preferences" (for steam users)
    or: "C:\...\...\Rome Total War Gold\preferences\" (or whatever, for non-steam users)
    In which you will see a .txt file called "preferences.txt"
    In this file, you will need to adjust 2 values:
    "STRATEGY_RESOLUTION: "
    "BATTLE_RESOLUTION: "

These have numbers (your RTW in-game resolution)
    Change these numbers to your DESKTOP resolution (in my files both values were set to "1024x768", so I changed them to my actual resolution "1440x900")
    To know your actual resolution, press right-click on your desktop (wallpaper) and click on "Display Settings".
    At the bottom of that pop-upped screen there's a link saying "Advanced Display Settings".
    When you press on that, you will immediately see your desktop resolution displayed in a scroll-down menu. Do not change this, but remember these values (for example: 1440x900 on my system).
    These are the values you need to insert in your preferences.txt in your RTW folder/preferences
    So they will look like this (ON MY SYSTEM!! YOUR'S MAY BE DIFFERENT!!):

STRATEGY_RESOLUTION:1440x900
    STRATEGY_MAX_RESOLUTION:2048x1536
    STRATEGY_32_BIT:TRUE
    BATTLE_RESOLUTION:1440x900
    BATTLE_MAX_RESOLUTION:2048x1536
    BATTLE_32_BIT:TRUE

The BOLD print is the only thing you should edit!!

YOU NEED TO DO THIS FOR BOTH RTW AND RTW:BI SEPARATELY!!

For your RTW:BI folder go to:
    "C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Rome Total War Gold\bi\" and look for the folder called "preferences"
    In this folder there is also a .txt file called "preferences.txt" Make the same changes here as you did with your RTW's "preferences.txt" file before.

In both cases; save the file over the original file (make backups of the originals if you want to, they won't work on win10 anyways, so go ahead and make my day <3)

3. Steam Version of RTW:
    In your Steam Library, right-click on Tome:Total War and go to "Properties". Then hit the "Launch options" button and simply write down: "-ne" (Without the "")

4. Disc Version of RTW (Non-Steam):
    I do not play RTW:Alexander, because I don't like it. So this only works for RTW+RTW:BI (It should work for Alexander too though )
    For Rome:Total War + BI:
    Go to your install-folder of RTW, whatever this may be.. It should have a file called "RomeTW.exe" (about 15MB) and a file called "RomeTW-BI.exe" (also about 15MB, but slightly less than the RomeTW.exe).

Right-click both .exe files (one at a time) and click on "Create shortcut". Now move this shortcut to where ever you want to start your RTW from (probably your desktop).
    Now right-click the shortcut and press "Properties".
    In the bar called "Target" you will see something like: "C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Rome Total War Gold\RomeTW.exe" (for me it's in Steam, because I have the Steam-version of RTW)
    But whatever the F!@#.. you will find your own RTW-installation folder there.
    Now do exactly and precisely this:
    1. "C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Rome Total War Gold\RomeTW.exe" --- DO NOT CHANGE THIS
    2. Behind the link I just wrote down @ 1. write down: " -ne" (WITH the space, WITHOUT the "")
    3. So it should now say @ Target: "C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Rome Total War Gold\RomeTW.exe" -ne
    4. Click "OK" at the bottom left of the "Properties" screen.
    5. Double-click the shortcut to PWN SOME ROMAN B*TT! (yes you should play as a barbarian faction, they are way more fun!)

This "guide" should be comprehensive enough for 53 bunnies with Aspergers syndrome.. Hope you all get your versions to work on Windows10!!
    If not: Let me know in this topic!

Disclaimer: I will NEVER help you with getting a non-genuine version of the game to work!
    It's only like 5euro's @ Steam and well worth it!
    So buy it you lazy bums! >_<

I would add this to my signature, but I don't have the faintest clue how to edit/add a signature on this forum, so here we go:
    These methods were tested using [Windows 10 Pro] on this sytem:

MS-Tech Raptor CA-0300
    ASUS P8B75-M LX PLUS
    Intel i7 3770 CPU @ 3.4GHz
    2x Corsair 4GB, DDR3, PC12800, CL9, Vengeance
    ASUS PCI-e GeForce GT630 2GB DDR3
    Cooler Master G550M 550W, Modular
    Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache SATA6Gb/s
    MadCatz R.A.T.5. Mouse
    Logitech Softkey keyboard (nothing special there)

New topic about how to make RTW work on Win10:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-on-Windows-10

Can you please try my solution on this and let me know if it works for you?
    If not, I can go in a bit deeper and try to find the problem you are currently experiencing with RTW.

(Quote from Orphydian)
    Did my reply to you help you with this part?
    You could have simply said to set the max resolution ingame. And yes I always plyed Rome1 in borderless windowed mode and fullscreen.

Quote Originally Posted by Orphydian View Post
    You could have simply said to set the max resolution ingame. And yes I always plyed Rome1 in borderless windowed mode and fullscreen.
    I thought you had the windows10 problem that you couldn't get in-game at all.
    Would be kind of hard to change the resolutions in-game then.

Hi, I have a problem that's different from everything I'm seeing. Every time I try running the game, even with these settings changed, I keep getting a message saying, "Access Denied. Please login with administrator privileges." Any help would be appreciated.

It would seem your windows-login account isn't set to administrator privileges then.

On your desktop, open "This PC" and in the top menu, click on "Computer" then on "Open settings".
    In the top-right of this screen you will have a button called "Accounts", click on this.
    In the topmost tab (that's now already open) you will see your log-in name and probably "Local Account" right underneath.
    Underneath this "Local Account" it probably doesn't say "Administrator" for you, does it?

To change this, log out and have an administrator-privileged person log in to his/her account.
    Have him/her go to this same screen but now go down on the left-hand tabs to "Family & Other Users".
    Left-click on your account name and select "Change Account Type".
    In the scroll-down menu select "Administrator" instead of "Standard User".
    Log out.

Log back in to your own account and check the account settings to verify you are now an administrator.
    Try RTW again and see if you still get this "access denied" message.

My account is an administrator account

I tried running it as an administrator, the access denied box doesn't show up anymore, but the game refuses to load

Ok so you at least fixed your problem with the "Acces Denied" thing then!
    Moving on to your next problem..
    Does the game try to start, flicker a few times and then just closes?
    Or does it not open at all?
    You can open the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) before opening RTW and see if the RTW icon shows up in your task manager (if only very briefly).

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast