Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Battle Mechanics Explanation Video

Default Re: Battle Mechanics Explanation Video

Hey i have grey hair too
    I have them since i was 18!

Just finished watching the battle mechanics video..It looks really great..i think that the "courier" system will bring a lot of tactical gameplay and i am really looking forward to playing your mod

I have just one question..will the battle mechanics be usable in other campaigns as well?

no sorry wolf.Its only for GaW.Thanks for your kind words

Just giving credit where it is due..it certainly does bring a certain realism feeling to the game and that is really awsome. I'm def going to play GaW!!

Well may I disagree on that. 50 ranks cant push much better than 40, but 30 can push better than 20. I mean there is a critical number which affects, not only psychologically but in strength (according to me i d say the best number of ranks would be 30-40, if less ranks the pressure difference would be significant, if more ranks not so much) . Let's say that with the paianas and the rhythm , 50 ranks could coordinate. Lets say that some ranks where uncoordinated, the ranks on front would make a gap (the hoplites could see that and go forth), but even if this hadnt happened, due to the rhythm the back ranks or at least some of them would apply pressure pushing the front ranks to the next on front. Of course after many ranks its really hard for the pressure to be maintained and organised but its achievable especially by a proffesional army.

Especially in the battle of Delium the field of the main battle was on a hill which was a bit hard for the pressure to be maintained appropriately and also the soldiers were not in a competent level, compared to sacred band ofc.

But look what suddenly happened in battle of Tegyra. The Spartans lost their cohesion totally ( the death of their commanders did a huge damage in organization but still the point is valid), by many ranks in depth that managed in a ver small amount of time to break the spartan phalanx.

We dont dissagree entirely here and that's why we have bonuses for also a second and a third unit in pushing stance.Also these bonuses are getting less strong from the second to the 3rd unit and none for a 4rth.So we actually are saying the same thing.

Hmmm yep i agree!

Added the Battle tactics video to OP

Wonderful explanation: Well described, tips given and a different situation of just the classic 1vs1 battle.

Maetharin's Avatar Senator

Even though Iīm more on the side that only the first ranks pushed and the rest actually served as morale booster/decreaser for your and your enemyīs battle lines respectively, I know that I could be totally wrong. Thereīs so many well researched theories out there about hoplite battles and I think this actually perfectly represents how a pushing match, if it happened, would have worked.

Congratulations also for the ingenius "send runner" ability.
    And on that rather unorthodox use of abilities Iīd like to talk about an Idea of mine.

Would it be possible to make the player loose control over oneīs own units?
    Especially in that time period communication on the battlefield was highly complicated.
    Most of the times, even if men were organised in units, the only order was forward, and afterwards regaining control was rather difficult.

Maybe it could be done with the panic effect from elephants, obviously after removing the rampaging into anything that moves mode^^
    But IMO this would be worthwile to try out, sadly I lack both the time and ability to further delve into this.
    Maybe you guys could experiment where I failed?
    It would need to be tiered, Roman units were way more indipendent than classic hopltes^^
    Anyway, I can imagine it working perfectly with your commander abilities.

BTW, I donīt know if you have already fixed that, but you can decrease unit "blobbing",
    as in men getting shoved aside by either no contact or only light touches, by simply giving hoplites a smaller radius in battle entities.
    I did that in my personalised verison of DeI too, it really helps^^

Anyway if you want to debate about hoplite warfare or any other things concerning ancient warfare, Iīm all ears!
    Just PM me!

Best regards
    Last edited by Maetharin; January 23, 2016 at 05:12 PM.
    "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse!"

Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius

"I concur!"

​Me

1) I agree with this "Pshychologic pressure" theory also..If pushing was happening from all 50 Theban ranks in Leuktra for example the hoplites in front would be squashed like a bug in eney shields..On the other hand a bigger mass army would have eventually a slight stronger effect perfomance effect in front rows also, since at some point i bet formations would dissolve a bit and mass probably take an effect..THis is seen many times in ancient texts where with no apparent reason and with no significant casualties one phalanx would simply "dissolve"..This Mechanic we got represent just this (i hope) since we gave bonus to attack and a morale boost to the unit receiving the othismos..In any case the outcome is the same since better attack/defense causes more deaths -> therefore more morale pressure to the enemy
    2)I dont think loosing controll is doable..The rampant elephants is a unique effect for elephants..I did try this you know and gave the hoplites in battle entities the elephant entity to get the knockback and frenzy effect but when the walked they had elephant sound (this can be fixed i think) and behaved a bit strangely..
    3)I havent try this last part but i will try it now..Definately makes sense ..+ rep

It also works rather well with Pike Phalanxes, I have them at really tight spacings i think 1 horizontal and 0,85 vertical.
    The funny thing is that thereīs even less clipping that way, the pikes often just sort of "fall" into the right spaces.
    Of course with how CA made pike phalanxes it still persists but to significantly smaller amount^^

"I concur!"

​Me

Nice and i was fearing this thing exactly (clipping)..I will give it a try maybe even tonught..
    Also i will keep you posted about a project i run on Pikes with exceptional initial results..It will take some time still cause i am buzy with GaW right now but soon i will be "free" to fully test it an will let you know since i know how much you love them plus we usually are on the same level of thought about them..

If the results look promising, absolutely tell KAM about this project, heīd rejoice if it worked^^

"I concur!"

​Me

I does work and its 100% both fun,strategic and historical..I could have it ready very soon if i was not working 24/7 on GaW.. and in GaW Pikes do not exist (almost) ..
    When we release here i will get on with this project asap, BUT i am afraid that we will use it on VV and not DEI.. I dont know what will happen after of course , we will see and at first we must test it extensively even if the first results are more than great..Sorry to tease you i hate it but i am soooo exited i can hold my horses to finish with GaW and indulge into this..Sadly we will not have any news for some months..until then maybe your submod will be the best pike mod out there..
    P.S I tried lowering radius for the hoplites and i think it looked better indeed. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Phalangitis; January 24, 2016 at 01:45 PM.

At which values did you set them? I actually set them to either 0,3 or 0,2 I kinda forgot which one it was^^

"I concur!"

​Me

i gave 0.25 (at 0,1 the result was terrible) and recuced the radii ratio from 1 to 0.35..Still will play a bit with values

i meant the radii, sorry for being unclear and thx for answering so fast.
    Indeed thatīs the perfect rate for the radii Iīd say, somwhere between 0,25 and 0,35

"I concur!"

​Me

BTW, what influence did the radii have on the Thebaioi Ekdromoi Hoplitai?
    Could you upload a picture in the Booetean thread? BTW have you tried giving them the normal pike phalanx animations?
    You might need to readjust the angle of the shield for that though^^

Best regards

"I concur!"

​Me

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast