Thread: Localization

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

Default Localization

I want all of you to tell me whether your game is translated into your langauge. I know there are French, German, Russian, and Italian versions. Is there a Portuguese or Spanish one? Are there any others?
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

mac89's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Localization

The totalwar site supports the Spanish language so I would think so.

true... then what about portuguese?
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

mac89's Avatar Biarchus

I know there are plenty of portugese on these forums, try asking this question in the MTW2 Discussion.

Pyrgopolynices's Avatar Campidoctor

No portuguese version.

Oki. Thanks!

Korinthos Hoplites's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrgopolynices
    No portuguese version.
    Sadly, very few games are translated to portuguese

It makes you better at English

mac89's Avatar Biarchus

Are you getting the localized soundfiles from someone?

No yet. I'll write some instructions on how to extract the files and what files I want to be sent. I've estimated that each voice culture has 140 megs of files that I want.

First, though, I need to find out if the voice cultures are the same in the localized versions. For example, do the Italians, the Portuguese, the Spaniards and the Byzantines share the "mediterranean" voice culture in the Italian and Spanish versions (that is, do the Italians speak Spanish perfectly in the Spanish version, and vice versa), or is there a unique "Italian" voice culture in the Italian version? Do the Danes speak perfect Russian in the Russian version? Etc. I'll start a new thread about that.
    Last edited by Beiss; November 20, 2006 at 01:51 AM.

Do the Danes speak perfect Russian in the Russian version?
    ROTFL!!!

Hey, it's a legitimate question. If they use the same voice culture (like they do in the English version), they must speak exactly like the Russians.

I play with a french version of the game. And yes, the game is fully translated to french, even the voice part of the game.
    As usual, "localizers" had some specific flaviour to the translated voice : they got a national accent. For example, the voice for HRE is translated into french, but with a very strong german accent !
    And here the funny part :
    it gives a somehow comic behaviour (as a french native speaker) when you hear a german princess telling you "(Z)e (z)uis une demoi(z)elle (t)u Reich !". Or a general saying "Au (z)ervi(z)e (t)u Reich !". () denotes where a "typical german accent" is heared.
    But when you play 10 minutes of this, you feel irresistibly bring 800 years later thinking about a 1940 Reich and not the "Saint Empire Romain Germanique" (Holy Roman Empire). This alone precludes me to play with HRE.
    I've heard other strong accent in the game (spanish, italian, maure), but nothing as crappy as this german accent.
    Curiously, french, english and scottish are heared in almost perfect French.

Yes, I know it's a legitimate question. But still, made me laugh. Especially because of them being danes. You couldn't find a better example.

Yup.