Thread: Wall climbing speed

Default Wall climbing speed

As the title says, is there way to change the speed at which units scale castle walls? If we can't have actual ladders and/or siege towers, the least we can do is the slow down the climbing speed to simulate the difficulty of scaling up a castle wall like a trained ninja.

Default Re: Wall climbing speed

I have been looking for that too for quiet a while, can't find anything. But you can take away the "siege ladders" for all units so that they cant climb the walls anymore (at least i think it does that).

Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union

maybe over the battle entity table, which controls unit speed in general.

or in one of the _kv_rules tables, probaply there is some entry. I'm quite sure that I have seen atleast one for the "chance of falling down"

Im with you on that. I would also love to slow down the climb speed so the walls actually matter.

EDIT: I looked though the files and I couldnt find the climbing speed modifier. Maybe its there somewhere, but I couldnt find it. So, I decided to make walls actually matter by drastically increasing the chance to fall when climbing. Now ashigaru have 10% chance to fall per second (from 1.2%) and samurai have 5% chance to fall (up from 0.8%). Now climbing is a gamble, small walls can be assulted and samurai units loose about 1/4 of the unit (1/2 for ashigaru). The tall walls are deathtraps now. I like the feel now, the walls actually matter, and enemies cant just bumrush the city. Siege towers and ladders were invented for a reason. Also, ninja's as a battlefield unit are more useful as they dont fall IIRC.
    Last edited by Taro_M; December 18, 2015 at 04:26 AM.

That is really great news, where did you find that exactly?
    Also can you find something that gives them a chance of survival, too? That would be great, since the AI wouldnt know that scalling huge walls is deadly now.

Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersjack View Post
    That is really great news, where did you find that exactly?
    Also can you find something that gives them a chance of survival, too? That would be great, since the AI wouldnt know that scalling huge walls is deadly now.
    The fall chances are in kv_rules_tables. As to make the AI scale walls less, I don't know about that. There's no cure for AI stupidity it seems. Right now I'm using 6% fall chance for ashigaru, and 1.2% fall chance for samurai.