View Poll Results: What game/mod should we use for YATS?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Total War: Rome II (Unmodded)

4 28.57%
  • Total War: Rome II (DeI)

4 28.57%
  • RS 2.6 (Rome: Total War)

2 14.29%
  • EB 1.2 (Rome: Total War)

3 21.43%
  • Other R:TW Mod/TW:RII Mod

0 0%
  • Other (Please specify)

1 7.14%

Thread: YATS Game/Mod Choice

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

Default YATS Game/Mod Choice

Please, if you select "Other" please state what game/mod and why.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

m_1512's Avatar Quomodo vales?
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: YATS Game/Mod Choice

Voted. So how many are going to play this?

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

I think we have a good number, a few in waiting to see when we launch.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

I'm pro Rome II, even though it's going to involve me buying a game I don't have a high opinion of.

This is for two reasons.

1. We're far more likely to gain a substantial player base with the newer game.

2. Rome 2 is a lot tougher then Rome 1 and the AI can actually pull off naval landings in Rome 2, therefore making Carthage actually an existential threat rather then a speed bump. Rome 2 also has functional diplomacy.

I'm pro EB and a YATS conservative.

1. Rome II has really optimization, I have a decent PC and last time I tried it took me 20 minutes to get into a campaign. Then I got bored because of the laggy stuttering.
    2. EB is accessible to everyone by now.
    3. The whole save file ordeal is far easier with EB, I wouldn't even know where to start in Rome II.
    4. To parry War lord's point 1: I really believe the only ones that are actually going to play this (except the exceptions of course) are the people that used to play it.
    YATS: Manius Aquillius Tuscus, 46, Patrician

Tazgrent's Avatar Ducenarius

I don't know a lot about DEI but I suggest unmodded for the sake of simplicity and reducing the chance of a bug or bad file ruining a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kubrick View Post
    4. To parry War lord's point 1: I really believe the only ones that are actually going to play this (except the exceptions of course) are the people that used to play it.
    Then there is no point in even starting because, as we've proved in the past, relying on old timers to stick around is not going to keep the game alive.

Well I'm not holding you, feel free to leave. I'm just saying that I'm not expecting new blood to flood in.
    YATS: Manius Aquillius Tuscus, 46, Patrician

Okay I'm confused now, do you want a revived YATS or are we all just getting together for Auld Lang Syne? Because I do want this off the ground, because it can be a tonne of fun, but the last few incarnations fell into a cycle of lower and lower player counts, and mechanically speaking the system requires a lot of player to run, so if you're going to be stubbornly unoptimistic there's not much point in even discussing this. If I didn't care I would have ignored the PM.

Sadly I think many of us "old timers" from YATS have moved from highschool to college to getting jobs and in general adulthood, and don't have so much free time to spend here.

I would definitely try to play if you guys restart this, though I cannot promise I will be heavily involved.

My 2 cents is that R2TW would be much better to draw more players.

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

I happen to have a good deal of free time on my hands, so I don't have anything against joining this again.

If we want a true revival, R2TW is the way to go. I do prefer EB as Kubrick does, given that I am an infinitely better player of RTW than R2TW.

@War lord, you haven't changed one bit.
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

Protector Domesticus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

9 Votes isn't too bad. But I'd say the main reason there isn't too much interest is because of how obscure this forum is, I wouldn't of checked it had I not played in here before.

If you are going to seriously attempt to start this, I will happily get a few of the RPG guys to come over if I can. Plus I'm sure you can drum out some support from the Hotseat community if you ask around over there.

I'll keep checking back here to see what happens, feel free to give me a nudge if you need any help.

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

Sounds good Darth.
    What's holding us back? What do we need to get ready? Mod rights?
    We should set some deadlines to have something to aim for, instead of just hand wavingly say we should start YATS soon.

Although I'm newer here, I'd still like to help restore this YATS thing. I've read a good portion of the old days of it and would like to participate in a new Rome II installment.

Protector Domesticus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I can lend a hand getting all the admin stuff done, just let me know what you guys need and I'll forward it up chain of command.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Hey guys, I'm an old timer who hasn't been on this forum for aaaaaages due to real life stuff. Used to be a big player of YATS, and would be keen on rejoining the fray. I'm extremely out of touch with what's going on though - is a reiteration likely to be happening?

Any chance of a YATS game any time soon?

If and when will the next YATS game happen