Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: XCOM 2!

Default Re: XCOM 2!

Have I mentioned that I ABSOLUTELY HATE THIN MAAAANS ?!!
    Yeah me too specialy when they apear everywhere.

Im not too fond of Exalt soldiers either.

Btw Im currently playing this game after i finished my Xcom enemy within playtrough.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I think you guys will like the chalange.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; July 08, 2015 at 10:09 AM.

You should play Long War mod for X-Com Enemy Within, adds alot to an already great game, and makes more it difficult plus tons of new features, would recommend playing it to get you in the mood for X-com 2.

http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom/mods/88/?

P.S , play on normal first with no Ironman, the mod is really really tough.

Akhenaton's Avatar Decanus

Wow, the description of features looks quite extensive. IŽll try it out when I finish my current playthrough-

+REP

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

For now I find it difficult enough without mods on classic ironman.

I gues it will get better later on once I have everyone with plasma rifles and in titan armor or similar. Already lost eight people to just sectoids and thin men. I dread to think what will happen once Muttons, Berserkers and saucers show up which doesnt tend to take long. Just need to be quick with the arms race.

I believe laser weapons can be skipped yes? Not needed to get plasma stuff? Might save me a good deal of weapon fragments to get it all researched faster. Then again with more enemies on levels it does seem I get more fragments through that.

Long War aim was create a feel as close to the original X-com games. There are quire a few differences from the start, for example you can choose a country where your base is and each country has starting bonuses : http://ufopaedia.org/index.php?title...cil_(Long_War)

You can also start with 8 soldiers instead of 4, the default is 6. But for base assaults you can have up to 10 soldiers with correct research.

Typically there will be 10-15 missions each month, making it a huge campaign , 100-150 hours, you will will need a A, B, C, D and possibly E team. You can choose an option to reduce this called dynamic war from 2nd wave which is approx length of vanilla Marathon setting.

Aliens have research now and will get better over time, pod leaders are like hero characters and are much tougher. For example Thin man squad leader may have squad sight and thus can snipe you like a Xcom sniper and a Chrisy leader may regenerate 5 health at end of turn etc. You also get super aliens which are 2 -3 x size of standard enemy with about 40-50 hit points.

If you are doing to well the Aliens can also set traps, a small scout landing where you expect a few sectoids and one Outsider could turn out to be an ambush where in first turn 8 Chrisys charge you backed up by a Cyberdisk and Mutons and a 6 outsider pod which is brutal. This is where you have to do a tactical retreat unless you have taken 4 Rocketeers with you

Its very good mod but I would certainly recommend finishing vanilla first. Full list of features can be found here http://ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Long_War

P.s Note its still beta at the moment but final version is due soon, as its just bug fixes and balancing now.

I gues it will get better later on once I have everyone with plasma rifles and in titan armor or similar. Already lost eight people to just sectoids and thin men. I dread to think what will happen once Muttons, Berserkers and saucers show up which doesnt tend to take long. Just need to be quick with the arms race.

I believe laser weapons can be skipped yes? Not needed to get plasma stuff? Might save me a good deal of weapon fragments to get it all researched faster. Then again with more enemies on levels it does seem I get more fragments through that.
    Dude you are going to fail lol. In classic, ironman, your priority should get Carapace and laser weapons above everything else.

There are some guides out there, that from what i remember will help you to focus on the things you should get asap in classic mode. The timing to build and launch the satelites etc. Your bigest problem will be money, and keep the nations you want alive.

Im now enjoying a lot Xenonauts, its basicaly a remastered XCOM UFO ( the game of the 90s) the original XCOM. You can have a lot of soldiers in a mission, several bases. And the tactical missions are very dificult, its not even comparable to the firaxis game lol. Soldiers panic, even if there is no aliens in sight ( if they are low ranked, an with lower bravery etc. ) There is tons of classes, even guys with riot shields, you can make you own classes, can play with combat veichles. Oh and teh setting, is very interesting, in the midle of the cold war.

Basicaly, much more depth in all its aspects. And yeah Expect always casualties in every mission. ( unless you playing on normal, or easy, and even then you will get a casualty sometimes)

@nightplayer, yeah i know about that Mod, but i never played it, i tend to be cautious with mods, if they are a lot of bugs, and are not stable, i usualy skip them. ( prefer to wait.)
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; July 09, 2015 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post

If you have operation Slingshot DLC activated, it might be possible to skip lasers. During second mission of the DLC (Confounding Light), there are at least two or three good opportunities to capture a Muton very early, if you know the mission (when and where will the Mutons drop), have an assault with lightning reflexes and few arc throwers. This can get you Plasma Tech point, allowing you to complete the plasma research in acceptable time. I think Muton might also spawn in first mission instead of Chryssalid, but not sure. This can get you plasma point as soon as third or even second month of the game.

It's a risk, I think, trying to get a live Muton with just Carapace/Skeleton armor at best and conventional weapons, and you'll definitely face some problems because you'll be rolling with conventional weapons longer. It's up to you if you wanna risk it. IMO, it's better to go for lasers first. They're good for most of the game, until Sectopods and Muton Elites roll in.

Alright, I'll see what I can do. Maybe I'll just research laser rifles only since that covers support and assault.

Yeah, think I will have to just give up on classic ironman since it is impossible.

Its rare to hit anything and the aliens get in more critical hits than I get in actual hits. Its very rare for them to miss.

I just lost my entire team in two missions in a row, I dont want that achievement that badly. Think I will just stick with normal iron man so that the game will still be fun to play.

Especially this last mission was just rediculous. Some alien craft landed, its on a map with a ruined building. Enemies are uncovered, I put my people on overwatch, try to let one of the four get a hit in since he had 65% chance at it, misses of course. Just ONE of my soldiers gets hit by the aliens through pure luck, and suddenly the three men of my team all panic and cry like little girls, only my female sniper had enough balls to not be reduced to a mess over a scratch.
    So she fires with an 85% chance to hit. She misses, and dies during the alien round, and two of the three guys are shot half to death. Oddly they arent panicking anymore now.
    Soon one of the guys dies, and the other two struggle to take down any enemy. And even when they hit something it tends to be the least possible damage so soon they where out of ammo and had to rely on pistols. Soon another one dead and through some miracle the last guy survived with one hitpoint this first wave of enemies.
    I figured I should send him back for extraction, but then some of those flying stealth things came in sight when he moved back, and they barely moved forward at all. I put him in cover and overwatch, but he dies since aliens very rarely miss.

Caelifer_1991's Avatar Vicarius

Yeah, think I will have to just give up on classic ironman since it is impossible.

Its rare to hit anything and the aliens get in more critical hits than I get in actual hits. Its very rare for them to miss.

I just lost my entire team in two missions in a row, I dont want that achievement that badly. Think I will just stick with normal iron man so that the game will still be fun to play.

Especially this last mission was just rediculous. Some alien craft landed, its on a map with a ruined building. Enemies are uncovered, I put my people on overwatch, try to let one of the four get a hit in since he had 65% chance at it, misses of course. Just ONE of my soldiers gets hit by the aliens through pure luck, and suddenly the three men of my team all panic and cry like little girls, only my female sniper had enough balls to not be reduced to a mess over a scratch.
    So she fires with an 85% chance to hit. She misses, and dies during the alien round, and two of the three guys are shot half to death. Oddly they arent panicking anymore now.
    Soon one of the guys dies, and the other two struggle to take down any enemy. And even when they hit something it tends to be the least possible damage so soon they where out of ammo and had to rely on pistols. Soon another one dead and through some miracle the last guy survived with one hitpoint this first wave of enemies.
    I figured I should send him back for extraction, but then some of those flying stealth things came in sight when he moved back, and they barely moved forward at all. I put him in cover and overwatch, but he dies since aliens very rarely miss.
    You know, in a way, Long War makes it easier, since the squad sizes are larger and you have additional equipment like flashbangs and such, which combined with suppression can lock down the enemy fairly effectively. Its one of the reasons I could never go back to vanilla, vanilla may be easier but you have very little recourse but to fight protracted fire-fights on fairly even ground (or rush), with more equipment come more opportunities to prevent the aliens from having a fair shot at you. You still might wanna give it a shot, but it does require being careful. Also, if you do download Long War, start on Normal
    Last edited by Caelifer_1991; August 07, 2015 at 02:00 AM.

The problem with big mods like that is that it adds a lot of stuff I dont want along with the nice stuff. For me the lenght of the game is fine enough, you can stall it anyways.

Akhenaton's Avatar Decanus

New Pics!

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The roleplayer in me is screaming with joy at those pictures.

Also, I don't know if they've said anything about it but it would be cool if scars like that were also left over after your soldiers had been severely wounded in missions.

Definatly some great customisation options there! Our soldiers will be so much more unique!

As for scars, If they dont give them automatically, you can always give them yourself after they where severely wounded.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Okey sooo I have to spent aleast 15 min per soldier? I am ready for this game !!

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Now I'm just curious how we will be able to upgrade equipment and soldiers.

Robotics might be a good way to go since all things considered, it just does not seem suitable to use alien genetics since they are fighting an alien occupation.
    That and it would be very cool if you could choose which parts to augment and where to make your soldier more robotic. Maybe it could be even required to save a soldiers life if they are in critical condition.
    I'd love to get cyborg soldiers.

Yes that would be awesome to have robots arms and/or legs, would all so like to see a return of mech suits. (but I heard the mech suit isn't coming back)

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Personly I did not like the mech suits much, just looked a bit weird with those little heads even if they had a helmet on.

But they can always try other things. If not in the main game, its good stuff for an expansion.

Could also be nice if weapons could be customised a bit.. that you could choose what the colors of your laser or plasma shots are. And personly I really liked the normal rifles and shotguns the most so I hope they can stay relevant through the entire game instead of being something to replace as fast as possible.

Personly I did not like the mech suits much, just looked a bit weird with those little heads even if they had a helmet on.

But they can always try other things. If not in the main game, its good stuff for an expansion.

Could also be nice if weapons could be customised a bit.. that you could choose what the colors of your laser or plasma shots are. And personly I really liked the normal rifles and shotguns the most so I hope they can stay relevant through the entire game instead of being something to replace as fast as possible.
    True I always gave them the "most mech" helmet, but I really liked those robots leggs and arms.
    But yeah I always rush to laser rifles, never really liked plasma, so yeah I can agree on that.

Well they could also have more mechanical stuff to build perhaps to support the team.

Like perhaps a smaller mech. Something like that weapons platform, but in mech form.

Could also be neat if there was some deployable field equipment available. Like a turret for your troops to use, a medivac station which would need to be set up in a safe spot, or maybe even a small deployable bunker or cover.
    And the enemies could have these things too. Turrets could be used by your troops once you researched those kinds of weapons so they'd be familiar with their use, but the medivac points could not be useable due to aliens having different bodies.