Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: XCOM 2!

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default XCOM 2!

So 2K has been teasing a game called "Advent" for a week or so now - and it turns out it's actually a sequel to XCOM: Enemy Unknown! It's PC exclusive and is coming out this Winter! Enemy Unknown was really good, I gotta play more of it.

Basically the story for this one is that Earth is now under Alien control and XCOM has gone underground and guerrilla. I'm excited.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/...nced-ign-first
    Last edited by IlluminatiRex; June 01, 2015 at 11:07 AM.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Default Re: XCOM 2!

Sounds like Optimus Prime joined Xcom.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Aah, I wanted to be the one to post this Certainly looking forward to this, though I'm not sure Witcher 3 will ever let me leave it.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

My only grievance with Xcom enemy unknown was only being able to have 1 base, unlike the original where you could have 8. It still looks good though and i will be buying it none the less. Whats Witcher 3?

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

Although I loved the setting, the gameplay options and customization, one thing that endlessly frustrated me (and it wasnt the probability in your shots) was that the AI didnt play by the same rules involving a turn based strategy game, since they got to move on my turn (you run to a spot, you spot aliens, they go immediatly in cover and overwatch, during your turn and the rest of your team is ed because they will get shot immediatly should they move closer)

I've played enough strategy to know an AI will always get some sort of buffs. But it would be like "the AI can instantly recruit top tier units without research or buildings" in TW, or "an AI civ only needs 1/10th the amount of production you need to create a wonder" in Civ V

Caelifer_1991's Avatar Vicarius

So I assume then that the storyline for this carries on from a failed XCOM 1 campaign? It wouldn't make any sense otherwise.

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

This has made me very very happy. Enemy Unknown has kept me entertained for a ridiculous amount of time and I just loved how much depth it had and it's only recently started to lose it's entertainment value for me.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

best news.....

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Procedurally generated maps and the technology that powers them

That's good. Hope they make the game a bit more sandbox but I suspect not.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Gee, a sequel to a game that had you fighting an alien invasion, but now the aliens have taken over and you are part of the resistance. Never heard that one before.

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Last I checked Half Life isn't a decades old TBS game about Aliens though . Since the first XCOM game actually came out in 1993...
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Quote Originally Posted by Caelifer_1991 View Post
    So I assume then that the storyline for this carries on from a failed XCOM 1 campaign? It wouldn't make any sense otherwise.
    Could have been a secondary fleet after the psychic fellas failed or something.

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatiRex View Post
    Last I checked Half Life isn't a decades old TBS game about Aliens though . Since the first XCOM game actually came out in 1993...
    Yes, but the original XCOM did not have a sequel that took place in a future where aliens ruled the earth.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Pretty exited about this, X-com enemy unknown is a great game. Only thing I disliked was that the best armor looks silly without a helmet due to the high neck protection, but at the same time I'd rather not have all my people wearing helmets. I like them to look different.

I do hope they will change this with the next game, maybe expand customisation options a bit further. Also nice to see a sword wielding class and I quite like being the rebels fighting against alien overlords. I dont care if other games or movies have done it, its not been done in a game like this yet so I'm pretty exited about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Caelifer_1991 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamos View Post
    Could have been a secondary fleet after the psychic fellas failed or something.
    That's also something I'm wondering about, too. Every player will be thinking "Not on my watch!", but XCOM probably got put back to sleep after the second invasion (counting The Bureau's as the first), and then couldn't reactivate fast enough to prevent a third. And with all that gene therapy clinic stuff mentioned in the video, it sounds like our bio-tech discoveries in Enemy Within went public, eventually, so people are getting more and more used to "unusual" things on a more regular basis, which would make it much more easy for a covert/subversive invasion to work out without anyone ever knowing about it until it's too late.

Centenarius

I still have to finish enemy within So now is the opposite: XCOM attack aliens and hybrids that rule the planet? in the trailer genetic manipulation is mentioned so there could be some interesting new enemies such as that cobra soldier. Anyway i would like to see playable spaceship battles (it is a dream, but it could be implemented like a minigame)
    Temporarily retired from modding.

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

When they first announced the god awful mess that was The Bureau, I was excited that we may be getting an XCOM game that was basically a 1940s/50s version of Enemy Unknown, which I think would have been quite fun... but it was not to be.
    A remake of Terror from the Deep would have been awesome too though I guess they could always work some of that into this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    Pretty exited about this, X-com enemy unknown is a great game. Only thing I disliked was that the best armor looks silly without a helmet due to the high neck protection, but at the same time I'd rather not have all my people wearing helmets. I like them to look different.

I do hope they will change this with the next game, maybe expand customisation options a bit further. Also nice to see a sword wielding class and I quite like being the rebels fighting against alien overlords. I dont care if other games or movies have done it, its not been done in a game like this yet so I'm pretty exited about it.

Well I believe you could equip helmets on your soldiers in Enemy Unknown but it was part of the character customisation as opposed to equipment. There was quite a few of them too and the DLC added a few more.
    I liked it like that because I had certain troops with the helmets and my real badass guys wore the less uniform type headgear because they're so badass that they don't need to follow the uniform regulations because they've seen hell, man.... they've seen hell.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

I am so hyped for this one going to keep a good eye on this one.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Definitely looking forwards to this, absolutely loved Enemy Unknown/Within.

Quote Originally Posted by Warcrafthero View Post
    that cobra soldier.
    Which are a nice allusion to the original game's snakemen, by the way.

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast