Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Arena is going to hurt CA in the long run

Default Re: Arena is going to hurt CA in the long run

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    CA has been so bad at single player over the last few years that they can't do much worse with this. They won't even have to program AI!
    Alien Isolation was amazing if that's what you mean by single player.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; June 30, 2015 at 05:38 PM.

Overall its a good game and if you like online multiplayer its great, I have played a lot and am enjoying it
    Personally I would rather not play against clans and sometimes you do get stuck as the weakest level player in a game which is irritating, but overall its good and its free

Although the biggest irritants are the awful matchmaking, I have just been stuck in a game where the enemy gets cav and we don't, basically you have lost before you start or the enemy gets much stronger units and its pretty plain that you simply cannot win
    This ties in with the win ratio system that we are stuck with, personally I hate it with a passion as there are times that I would like to practice or just have fun and you feel that you can't enjoy it, there needs to be an opt out of the win ratio system
    The camera is awful too
    Last edited by General Nuisance esq; July 05, 2015 at 03:48 AM.

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

I am getting bored of the same old 3 maps.... more variation is needed.

I would hope there will be some form of lobby system. If some hosts want to play an all infantry battle or whatnot.

SharpEyed's Avatar Be Fair and Thankful!

Quote Originally Posted by MathiasOfAthens View Post
    I am getting bored of the same old 3 maps.... more variation is needed.

I would hope there will be some form of lobby system. If some hosts want to play an all infantry battle or whatnot.
    As they said in Patch 8 notes, we can expect a new map soon

For the other, well I wish too: custom battle mods, where u can choose map, unit type, victory type (win by capture/win by kill all etc) or the player number (5v5 etc)
    Last edited by SharpEyed; July 06, 2015 at 06:20 PM.

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

New map has arrived...

Arena smells Pay-to-Win DLC fodder. Its just waiting to happen.

Also, Recycling Rome 2 voice clips for your units was a bad move.

Matchmaking is still so bad I will probably stop as its pointless, just being out-gunned in every match

Quote Originally Posted by General Nuisance esq View Post
    Matchmaking is still so bad I will probably stop as its pointless, just being out-gunned in every match

Match making is something we are looking into.

Main reason for it being the way it is right now is because we are keeping our player base limited during our Closed Alpha run.
    Once we open it up to larger number of players match making will keep you closer to your tiers.

We only have Servers in Europe right now but we will be adding more outside of Europe very soon.

Floating damage counters.... in a total war title?

Nothing to do here.

huh, what floating damage?

- - -

Thx for the info Sir Dogbert, looking forward to it

Arena is "Pulltrough Simulator 2015" now.. A spartan hoplite pulltrough 3 melee infs + 2 hoplites. I had quited the game at that time. I deleted it. It is very arcade . (unlimited arrows). The game is blight, chase and escape. It dont get war feelings. Stealth elements are exaggerated. I dont thik CA earn from cosmetics." Level system " I hate it . I must play tons of games (times). I must eat,working, doing sport. Time is most valuable things . CA sell time. Arena damn P2W game. CA should fix Attila multi balance adn optizition. CA realese Attila as a BAstard. CA broke Rome 2 multi balance with EE editon. And Warhammer wouldnt be good game for total war fans and Warhamme fans. I think it..
    Last edited by CagatayKhan; August 18, 2015 at 07:00 PM.

when did you play it last time really.
    because it's pretty obvious that you have no idea of last patch, we even Front paged it for people to see.

that was about pull through stuff, let's talk of grinding system.
    well it has been made easier already, guess you don't know of that too. you still can choose not to agree with grinding system altogether of course, but I don't think they will be changing the main system of the game..

that being said you don't have to open next tier units, you can choose to stick with what you got

and well there are just too many more plans for Arena to be done still.
    also no, it's not a P2W and won't be either. money will gain you some time and visual stuff only, not advantage
    Last edited by SharpEyed; August 18, 2015 at 07:58 PM.

Protector Domesticus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

To emphasis SharpEyed's point, from my experience I have seen nothing in the game to suggest it would be P2W.

Another point to consider is that they are constantly taking the feedback from players and turning it into something positive such as changes in the latest patches, If something is broken then just tell them in a constructive and helpful manner and I'm sure they'll take it into account and try to address the issue if it needs to be sorted. Just trust that they will keep up the fantastic work and I'm sure on full release it will be a very awesome game indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Roxas View Post
    Another point to consider is that they are constantly taking the feedback from players and turning it into something positive such as changes in the latest patches, If something is broken then just tell them in a constructive and helpful manner and I'm sure they'll take it into account and try to address the issue if it needs to be sorted. Just trust that they will keep up the fantastic work and I'm sure on full release it will be a very awesome game indeed.
    I can assure you that they take all feedback into account.
    There is also a group of handpicked players that can directly talk with devs and test some things before they go to live and believe me they had big effect on some changes/fixes

But I won't give you more spoilers

Civis

This game doesn't fit into TW series I don't know why you're trying to do something new better.
    Yet there is still much potential in M2TWK, Attila any other series... I don't see the point here.

Quote Originally Posted by Spajjder View Post
    Why? Well, let me answer with a question.

Why does CA have to join the style Blizzard makes multiplayer games? If I wanna play an arcady RTS I'll play Blizzard’s games or something like LoL. Judging from the game footage, the units all move without inertia, they can turn immediately, just like in Starcraft, or snake for mobile phones for god’s sake. APM rules supreme here.
    Next up in CA Total War franchise is Warhammer Total War. I'm pretty sure that game will have same arcady set-up.

Look, I don't blame CA for trying to go mainstream, they probably think these games will sell better - in Arena's case through a system of DLC and microtransactions - but just like Zenimax aspired for Elder Scrolls to go MMO to appeal for a more mainstream audience - as if that was ever needed - it alienates customers who are after the original unique experience.

Just like TESO is a major flop because it tries to make a franchise into something it was never made to be and also because it suffers from severe competition from better and more established franchises (WoW), so is Arena a huge waste of time and money. It will never be as good as Starcraft or the like, so why would people play it (at least for long)? The core players, are the most important for a company like CA to survive in the long run, so why not focus on making games for them? They are loyal. The target audience for Total War Arena will soon move on to better games.

The list of games game-developers have tried to make more mainstream thereby failing utterly includes, TESO, KOTOR Online or whatever the name was, Deadspace 3, Resident evil 5, Sim City, the new Thief, etc etc.

In the end, CA is wasting its money and time on making games that will never be able to compete. Hopefully I'm wrong about both Arena and Warhammer, but judging from CAs recent track record, and especially the footage from TW Arena, CA is losing its way.
    I take the exact opposite view. Rome 2 was an awful game — even including all of DeI's efforts doesn't make it a great game. There was the abysmal release (14 patches in a year!), the inexcusable greed evidenced by the ridiculous DLC, and, of course, the horrendous BAI (which remains unmoddable). Attila seems to be much the same and undoubtedly so will Warhammer.

Arena is a chance for CA to really shine in a new genre. The battles still feel epic, if chaotic, and there isn't the slightest hint of pay2win in the game. A major gripe for myself and others is that the battles in Rome 2 are so lackluster. The hard work you do on the Campaign map is all unnecessary as every battle presents little challenge — no matter how many "house rules" you self-enforce. This game throws all of that out the window as you test your mettle against human players.

Arena undoubtedly has a long way to go (unit balance, commander skill tweaking, implementation of game lobbies or not) but it has great potential.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRazaman View Post
    I take the exact opposite view. Rome 2 was an awful game — even including all of DeI's efforts doesn't make it a great game. There was the abysmal release (14 patches in a year!), the inexcusable greed evidenced by the ridiculous DLC, and, of course, the horrendous BAI (which remains unmoddable). Attila seems to be much the same and undoubtedly so will Warhammer.

Arena is a chance for CA to really shine in a new genre. The battles still feel epic, if chaotic, and there isn't the slightest hint of pay2win in the game. A major gripe for myself and others is that the battles in Rome 2 are so lackluster. The hard work you do on the Campaign map is all unnecessary as every battle presents little challenge — no matter how many "house rules" you self-enforce. This game throws all of that out the window as you test your mettle against human players.

Arena undoubtedly has a long way to go (unit balance, commander skill tweaking, implementation of game lobbies or not) but it has great potential.
    I don't like Arena, but its not trying to be ''my game'', its trying to be a fast paced and as stated quite arcadey style of lighting strategic skirmish game. In that category its quite solid, with interesting unit and ability interaction. What i think it needs it extensive balancing (Archers anyone?), adding more factions and unit variety.

My biggest fear is however, that it TURNS P2W. Sure its not right now, but lets all be fair here, CA is under the thrall and control of SEGA, a company known for being abuse craptastic fools. Yes Aliens Colonial Marines, i see you, poisoning both Gearbox and SEGA. Hence, what it is right now is hard to judge. Just like with CoW total war, i am going to wait until i either hold a copy in my hands, or has seen reliable reviews on the subject.

To finish, i wanna touch on CoW: Most likely it will have the same engine, that is true and that will make battles feel like junk. But it perhaps wont be the end of the game, if they can pull back with another good elements, like improved unit collision, magic system, real effecting politic system, unit variety and most of all making a good and complete game and not a half backed game with 500 DLC packs for 7.99.
    Last edited by MissRarity; August 26, 2015 at 10:50 PM.

Shameless self promotion for my LP channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClE...NDSg/playlists

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The only reason I can't play Arena is the fact that there are no city sieges like Rome or Carthage, and that you can't zoom into your units fighting.

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

Well, I was doubtfull about this too, but after playing it, I absolutelly love this. It is so tense, team-work is still the key, tactics matter, the maps are great... I just love this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Triumph of Rome View Post
    that you can't zoom into your units fighting.
    now you can

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast