Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Arena is going to hurt CA in the long run

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

Default Re: Arena is going to hurt CA in the long run

Quote Originally Posted by Spajjder View Post
    Why? Well, let me answer with a question.

Why does CA have to join the style Blizzard makes multiplayer games? If I wanna play an arcady RTS I'll play Blizzard’s games or something like LoL. Judging from the game footage, the units all move without inertia, they can turn immediately, just like in Starcraft, or snake for mobile phones for god’s sake. APM rules supreme here.
    Next up in CA Total War franchise is Warhammer Total War. I'm pretty sure that game will have same arcady set-up.

Look, I don't blame CA for trying to go mainstream, they probably think these games will sell better - in Arena's case through a system of DLC and microtransactions - but just like Zenimax aspired for Elder Scrolls to go MMO to appeal for a more mainstream audience - as if that was ever needed - it alienates customers who are after the original unique experience.

Just like TESO is a major flop because it tries to make a franchise into something it was never made to be and also because it suffers from severe competition from better and more established franchises (WoW), so is Arena a huge waste of time and money. It will never be as good as Starcraft or the like, so why would people play it (at least for long)? The core players, are the most important for a company like CA to survive in the long run, so why not focus on making games for them? They are loyal. The target audience for Total War Arena will soon move on to better games.

The list of games game-developers have tried to make more mainstream thereby failing utterly includes, TESO, KOTOR Online or whatever the name was, Deadspace 3, Resident evil 5, Sim City, the new Thief, etc etc.

In the end, CA is wasting its money and time on making games that will never be able to compete. Hopefully I'm wrong about both Arena and Warhammer, but judging from CAs recent track record, and especially the footage from TW Arena, CA is losing its way.
    Ok, after playing abit more...

First things is, it is actually not like the games you mentioned at all. Closest comparison I can come up with, is fantastic World in conflict.

You have 10 vs 10 matches, everybody controls 3 units, there is no resources, that is it, and TW-gameplay. I can't hink any other game out there which is like it.

Also it is really really good. It is all about positioning and timing, tactics, awareness what is going on. It is actually unique experience atm, and not "casual" at all. You can lose your units so fast, watch friendly fire, there is 30 units per side that are being microed by real players, coordinate your attacks, flanking, breaking thru lines, pulling back to cover broke out lines, and so on, all backed up with great map design.

I just think that post has no ground at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Spajjder View Post
    Why? Well, let me answer with a question.

Why does CA have to join the style Blizzard makes multiplayer games? If I wanna play an arcady RTS I'll play Blizzard’s games or something like LoL. Judging from the game footage, the units all move without inertia, they can turn immediately, just like in Starcraft, or snake for mobile phones for god’s sake. APM rules supreme here.
    Next up in CA Total War franchise is Warhammer Total War. I'm pretty sure that game will have same arcady set-up.

Look, I don't blame CA for trying to go mainstream, they probably think these games will sell better - in Arena's case through a system of DLC and microtransactions - but just like Zenimax aspired for Elder Scrolls to go MMO to appeal for a more mainstream audience - as if that was ever needed - it alienates customers who are after the original unique experience.

Just like TESO is a major flop because it tries to make a franchise into something it was never made to be and also because it suffers from severe competition from better and more established franchises (WoW), so is Arena a huge waste of time and money. It will never be as good as Starcraft or the like, so why would people play it (at least for long)? The core players, are the most important for a company like CA to survive in the long run, so why not focus on making games for them? They are loyal. The target audience for Total War Arena will soon move on to better games.

The list of games game-developers have tried to make more mainstream thereby failing utterly includes, TESO, KOTOR Online or whatever the name was, Deadspace 3, Resident evil 5, Sim City, the new Thief, etc etc.

In the end, CA is wasting its money and time on making games that will never be able to compete. Hopefully I'm wrong about both Arena and Warhammer, but judging from CAs recent track record, and especially the footage from TW Arena, CA is losing its way.

It is called SWTOR not kotor , and till the new expansion the game is boring as hell and i m a hard core raider doing all the progression at nightmare. Arena has potential to be really good.
    Also this game is completly different from some of the games you mentioned, though this is a mmo you can't compare to some of those. Those games apart from having lore and a huge history will release content sporadicaslly and increase level cap just to keep some of the player base while arena is a game likes world of tanks, you play a bit and chill, just that.
    Last edited by Apio Claudio; October 01, 2015 at 12:50 PM.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

All these large multiplayer games tend to have a life span of about 10 years give or take, SC, WoW, etc. In that spirit, League of Legends, a large contender in the MOBA scene right now is entering that middle-aged phase, and those kind of players are going to either move on with their life or lash onto other similar games within the next 5 years. Casual, plug&play strategy multiplayer games. I think now is probably the best time to start with the Arena project if they were ever going to give it a shot. I personally would never put my money on Arena because Creative Assembly's archaic company model doesn't fit the audience, but I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater either because there is room in this market and I can be proven wrong.

To any CA employee, please do not try to sell Arena as an "E-sport". All popular competitive games first started out as popular games for the masses, for example brood war was played by all younglings in Korea in their past time years before it was every picked up seriously. You finish school, you hang outside with your friends and you go to the PC bongs. No until that 05' - 07' period did korean competitive gaming blossom into a golden age. It's the same story with League of Legends. First World championship was a joke, but by the time it got really popular wasn't until 2 years down the line where the "old guard" South Korea with SK Telecom smashed up against the huge player pool China with Start Horn Royal Club in the final. The competitive scene of League of Legends is still growing, upsets are made, most lately by EU, LPL, and even wildcard Latin american branch creating huge upsets against the Chinese favorites. The point here is, first the game become fun, then it become competitive. Creating a competition without spectators is meaningless. They should still begin the process, but not as a reason to pick up the game. That is putting the cart before the ass.

As a stark contrasting example of "Esport Arena sales pitch", Heartstone was purposfully sold as a fun casual experience you can have with friends, not as an esport. However, it's become very popular and most League of Legends streamers will use it as a game inbetween League games and it's the second most popular streamed game on Twitch. "E-sports" wasn't planned through marketing, it was organically molded by the gamers themselves.

My 2 cents,

~Wille
    Last edited by Kjertesvein; October 25, 2015 at 12:12 AM.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Quote Originally Posted by SharpEyed View Post
    now you can
    This makes all the difference! since when?

SharpEyed's Avatar Be Fair and Thankful!

Quote Originally Posted by crazycow222 View Post
    This makes all the difference! since when?
    Since Closed Beta release I reckon, for about 1 month.

Quote Originally Posted by Apio Claudio View Post
    It is called SWTOR not kotor , and till the new expansion the game is boring as hell and i m a hard core raider doing all the progression at nightmare. Arena has potential to be really good.
    Also this game is completly different from some of the games you mentioned, though this is a mmo you can't compare to some of those. Those games apart from having lore and a huge history will release content sporadicaslly and increase level cap just to keep some of the player base while arena is a game likes world of tanks, you play a bit and chill, just that.

Hi,
    I am your CA employee and also someone who used to work in the esports scene for about 8 years well before it got as big as it is today.
    We do not plan to push Total War: ARENA as an esports, we would love to have a game which could be played at that level but our aim right now is to make a deep game people enjoy playing. Yes if we gain a large competitive community then we will try to support it the best we can.

The game is extremely arcadey but then again since when were TW games realistic? CA stopped caring a long time ago about historical accuracy so we have to deal with what we're given :\

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyPoopCereal View Post
    The game is extremely arcadey but then again since when were TW games realistic? CA stopped caring a long time ago about historical accuracy so we have to deal with what we're given :\
    You can't be historically accurate in a competitive MMO because you need balance between units/commanders.

What bothers me about the game is that it only has 1 type of match: 10v10 TDM. I was expecting 1v1 in a 20 unit army to be a feature but they have other ideas it seems... Also the maps are too few, I mean I play it since yesterday 25 matches and I'm already bored of the 5? maps. I just searched for the game credits I wander how many ppl worked on the game? can't be more then 10 by the content it has...

Quote Originally Posted by Rarilmar View Post
    I just searched for the game credits I wonder how many ppl worked on the game? can't be more then 10 by the content it has...
    Not sure for the exact number but they aren't much, yet.
    Thou considering it was free to play all along, I mean you couldn't buy anything until Closed Beta, it seems normal.

Hope they get bigger and bigger in the near future thou.

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by SharpEyed View Post
    Hope they get bigger and bigger in the near future thou.
    lol they switched from alpha to beta and that means the core development is over. From now on it will be only new units/commanders/maps and bug fixes but nothing major. Most likely the team shrinked

Nah, that ain't true. They have many plans for new features.. And it's Beta but not Open beta

JackDionne's Avatar Senator

My biggest disappointment with CA is lack of units to control. I don't think it will fly, at least it will never fly with me. Such wasted opportunity.
    3K needs to have an Avatar Campaign!!!

Libertus

They're biggest problem is development is slow as CA is reluctant to put more money in it and the alpha/beta stretches too long... By the time the game is released it will be outdated already and potential players will be like "oh didn't I play this like 2 years ago on beta?"
    It reminds me of "The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot" game that was released in closed beta in 2013 then open beta with huge success in 2014 and when they finally released it for real 1 year later they didn't even have players left.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123