Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What factions would you guys like to see made playable in Total War: Arena?

Icon5 What factions would you guys like to see made playable in Total War: Arena?

So far the Romans and the Greeks have been revealed (the Barbarians are still under development or whatever), what other factions or overall cultures would you like to see made playable in Total War: Arena? Just out of curiosity

Default Re: What factions would you guys like to see made playable in Total War: Arena?

I'd like one faction from each game, though I suppose to make gunpowder units balanced they'd be late tier pay2win dlc units.

Default Re: What factions would you guys like to see made playable in Total War: Arena?

From the Ancient era, I'd love to see some Eastern factions or perhaps one of the Successor states to bridge the gap between Hellenic and Eastern culture.

I too would love to see some units from a later time period, maybe some Samurai or some Knights! =D

Fall of the Samurai balanced gunpowder units (relatively) well so i think they could be used, provided they were outclassed by melee dedicated units of a similar class or rank.

I just want medieval knights

Quote Originally Posted by ShogunLewis View Post
    Fall of the Samurai balanced gunpowder units (relatively) well so i think they could be used, provided they were outclassed by melee dedicated units of a similar class or rank.
    That's probably how it would work, surely red bear infantry will lose to even the most basic of swordsmen in close combat.

And this is probably how I imagine Arena a few years in the future

Last edited by IGdood; May 27, 2015 at 05:31 PM.

Battlefield's Avatar Civis

I think Arena should expand to medieval times and then to gunpowder era, though however units from different eras should not fight against each other. It would be really weird seeing a medieval knight dueling a legionary. Expanding to different era can include most of everyone's favorite time period and you can choose which time period of units you want to use.
    Rome Total War mods
    INVASIO BARBARORVM | Roma Surrectum | Rome Total Realism
    Medieval 2 Total War mods
    Stainless Steel | Europa Barbarorum II | Broken Crescent

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    "Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Battlefield View Post
    I think Arena should expand to medieval times and then to gunpowder era, though however units from different eras should not fight against each other. It would be really weird seeing a medieval knight dueling a legionary. Expanding to different era can include most of everyone's favorite time period and you can choose which time period of units you want to use.
    CA should make a "fun mode" and an "era-restricted mode." That way they can satisfy everyone.

It's like in Shogun 2/FoTS multiplayer where you can choose not to have anachronistic dueling.

Just a few examples, if I had it my way (Don't scorn me too harshly, it's just my own personal opinion).

- Iranian: Persians, Parthians, and Sassanids.
    - Barbarians: Celtic, German, Daco-Thracian or Iberian.
    - Chinese: Warring States period, Three Kingdoms period, Middle>Late Imperial period.
    - Japanese commanders from different periods.
    - Near East / Ancient Empires: Babylonian, Assyrian, Egyptian, Persian or Hittite.
    - Islamic:Saracen, Mameluke, Moorish or Ottoman.
    - Natives: Both North American and Mesoamerican (and/or South Americans).
    - Medieval commanders from different periods and cultures.

Quote Originally Posted by FouRoux View Post
    Just a few examples, if I had it my way (Don't scorn me too harshly, it's just my own personal opinion).

- Iranian: Persians, Parthians, and Sassanids.
    - Barbarians: Celtic, German, Daco-Thracian or Iberian.
    - Chinese: Warring States period, Three Kingdoms period, Middle>Late Imperial period.
    - Japanese commanders from different periods.
    - Near East / Ancient Empires: Babylonian, Assyrian, Egyptian, Persian or Hittite.
    - Islamic:Saracen, Mameluke, Moorish or Ottoman.
    - Natives: Both North American and Mesoamerican (and/or South Americans).
    - Medieval commanders from different periods and cultures.
    That's a really neat list that is mostly what I have in mind, though I would tweak Chinese to be Late Han/Three Kingdoms, Song Dynasty, Ming Dynasty, and Qing Dynasty. And add some Korean units in there.

And Steppe factions could be Indo-Saka/Saka, Huns, Mongols, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by IGdood View Post
    That's a really neat list that is mostly what I have in mind, though I would tweak Chinese to be Late Han/Three Kingdoms, Song Dynasty, Ming Dynasty, and Qing Dynasty. And add some Korean units in there.

And Steppe factions could be Indo-Saka/Saka, Huns, Mongols, etc.
    Thanks for the compliment, I wasn't too sure on the Chinese to be honest. I kind've just threw together whatever I could remember from the top of my head. I too agree that the Korean units should be added Your steppe factions are good choices as well, I thought about adding those same cultures. This game has massive potential and I can't wait to see what the other commanders and rosters will be.

mester's Avatar Tiro

I would like to see Carthage and Pathia.
    ROMANES EUNT DOMUS

SharpEyed's Avatar Be Fair and Thankful!

Carthage, Parthia and Huns (some Horse archers would be good hehe)

Idk if putting Ottomans would fit, Janissaries, Spahis, well I would love that but I don't think CA would do that either
    Last edited by SharpEyed; June 02, 2015 at 04:45 PM.

Border Patrol's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Everyone always forgets Carthage
    Proud Nerdimus Maximus of the Trench Coat Mafia.

SharpEyed's Avatar Be Fair and Thankful!

Quote Originally Posted by Border Patrol View Post
    Everyone always forgets Carthage
    not really

btw there are horse arches in game already, but will take years to get there *yawns*

What I was thinking was instead of having dedicated time period factions, How bout you bring the time periods into those already existing factions, such as:
    Roman Musketeers
    Carthaginian Riflemen
    Spartan Knights
    Samurai Legionaries
    British Axemen

And stuff of that like

I think they can add like all the main factions from Rome 2 and when they are done with that they can start expanding the game so like you can play each era but separatly for example I feel like playing some anchient warfare hop on your germanicus play against other ancient era factions.Then you go on your Napoleon and play against the russians and so on. This game has the potential to combine all Total War warfare into a place where you can play battles from all prior games including warhammer

Quote Originally Posted by IGdood View Post

I want to know what mod that is

Quote Originally Posted by Flamma View Post
    What I was thinking was instead of having dedicated time period factions, How bout you bring the time periods into those already existing factions, such as:
    Roman Musketeers
    Carthaginian Riflemen
    Spartan Knights
    Samurai Legionaries
    British Axemen

And stuff of that like
    That would be awful, imo, and should never happen. It would be far more sensible to extend the game back from classical antiquity to ancient Mesopotamia than forward to the age of gunpowder.

Carthage - Hannibal, Hamilcar, Massinissa
    Persia - Cyrus, Darius I, Xerxes
    Egypt - Thutmose III, Ptolemy, Ramses II
    Mesopotamia - Ashurnasirpal II, Hammurabi, Sargon
    India - Chandragupta Maurya, Ashoka, Demetrius
    China - Cao Cao, Zhao Yun, Zhou Yu

It would be aweful to mix and match. For instance Roman musketeers. Yuk.
    I think the progression system should simply take you through the ages and make sure you can only use your say napoleonic army vs other nappy armies.
    Last edited by Destraex; September 09, 2015 at 08:47 PM.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

Quote Originally Posted by TheRazaman View Post
    That would be awful, imo, and should never happen. It would be far more sensible to extend the game back from classical antiquity to ancient Mesopotamia than forward to the age of gunpowder.

Carthage - Hannibal, Hamilcar, Massinissa
    Persia - Cyrus, Darius I, Xerxes
    Egypt - Thutmose III, Ptolemy, Ramses II
    Mesopotamia - Ashurnasirpal II, Hammurabi, Sargon
    India - Chandragupta Maurya, Ashoka, Demetrius
    China - Cao Cao, Zhao Yun, Zhou Yu
    I agree with this for sure, though I think there'd also be some value in splitting off Macedon from Greece as there's a pretty huge wealth of figures of note both from the classical greek era, Miltiades and Leonidas are already in, a 3rd could be picked either from the Peloponnesian war or with Xenophon. Macedon gets an obvious Philip and Alexander, which given that one was responsible for the long-speared phalanx and the other for the Companion cavalry they should have enough to distinguish them, picking a third general from the Hellanistic era would be tougher due to a wealth of choices but few of which stand out in the same way ( though Phyrrus might seem a good pick ).

Likewise the unit lists would have room to diverge a fair bit where the Greeks would have a wealth of versitile infantry units ( Hoplites being well set up as anti-cav spearmen and effective in melee, heavier peltasts being good skirmishers with notable melee performance ) but poor in cavalry where Macedon would have much more specialized pikemen and cavalry.
    Last edited by Amur_Tiger; September 09, 2015 at 04:55 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast