Thread: Crossroads Saloon OOC Chat

Default Re: Crossroads Saloon OOC Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Poach View Post
    Ponti, by the looks of it you're looking for any traffic going to/from the North and the Riverlands, Westerlands and Reach. Traffic to the Vale, Crownlands, Stormlands and Dorne wouldn't go across the Twins.
    That is correct, though I would probably include the Vale in your list unless we could make a common sense White Hardbor naval shipment argument. I don't know the web of trade we have going on or who is trading with who, so I just took a catch all approach.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; May 07, 2016 at 08:29 AM.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Trade with the Vale wouldn't cross the Trident. It would go down the Kingsroad and towards the Bloody Gate.

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Wait, wouldn't most if not all trade just go up the kingsroad?

Quote Originally Posted by Poach View Post
    Trade with the Vale wouldn't cross the Trident. It would go down the Kingsroad and towards the Bloody Gate.
    I checked the wiki and you're right about that. I can't determine if the Kingsroad runs through Frey controlled land or not, obviously the Freys would hate to exclude the Vale, to this point their greatest foes, from some sort of taxation scheme. I'll let the moderators decide if the Kingsroad runs through/close enough to my territory to warrant widening the umbrella of Frey's decree.

The intention is to tax all commercial and military traffic through the Twins, but if the only way the Vale can be taxed in such a way is by broadening the scope to include traffic through the outlying regions, I'll go that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard Feudalism View Post
    Wait, wouldn't most if not all trade just go up the kingsroad?
    Seems like enough doesn't:

It took the family three generations to complete the bridge in stone, after which they built timber keeps on each bank of the river.[1] Since then, the Freys have grown wealthy by charging a heavy toll on all those who need to cross - a fact which irks many older or more powerful houses. The timber keeps have since been replaced by stone. These castles are what give the stronghold its name, for they are identical.[1] Given their strong castle, strategic location, wealth, and numbers, the Freys are one of the most powerful bannerhouses sworn to House Tully, now able to raise about four thousand men.

Okay but if you block the Twins, all trade WILL just go up the kingsroad

" It is the only crossing point over the Green Fork for hundreds of miles in either direction, from the North to the western riverlands. It lies directly athwart the main route from Winterfell to Riverrun"

Perhaps we could have people try to avoid it by risking rolls for bandits/vale tribesman given this fact ^

Not necessarily. If you're routing any trade ships through or from Oldtown and Lannisport and you want to ship goods to the North or to the Vale, shipping the goods to Seaguard and then through the Twins would be one of the more economically viable options, especially depending on the current weather that year. Storms in the Narrow Sea during winter would be treacherous for ships to cross so going through Oldtown to Lannisport to Seaguard through the Twins and finally to White Harbor might actually be the most cost effective way to reach some oft he Northern Essosi ports,

Pinkerton's Avatar Praeses

Can merchants trade with lordly houses?

I don't think the rules mention it

I'll add that I'm not RPing this tax thing out because Frey will be made rich off the couple thousand dragons he will make, it's mostly to spice things up in post war RP. It definitely gives people something to discuss and plan around. For example, could be cool if a house decides to bypass the twins on a more treacherous route and sends a knight or two with a trade party to guard against bandits and then get attacked and fight them off etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkerton View Post
    Can merchants trade with lordly houses?

I don't think the rules mention it
    I believe they can. Frey would be very interested in hosting a merchant at the Twins
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; May 07, 2016 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    I'll add that I'm not RPing this tax thing out because Frey will be made rich off the couple thousand dragons he will make, it's mostly to spice things up in post war RP. It definitely gives people something to discuss and plan around. For example, could be cool if a house decides to bypass the twins on a more treacherous route and sends a knight or two with a trade party to guard against bandits and then get attacked and fight them off etc.
    I like it enough. It could cause some weird region fighting, maybe some conflict between Hightowers and Freys over the trade (doesn't really match up currently), but there is potential.

Also, I wonder what's going on at the Eyrie. Seems we have some interesting intrigue at play.

I believe they can. Frey would be very interested in hosting a merchant at the Twins
    I have a doubt though,

What would the lordly house get out of it? Since merchants don't have trade goods. Would they just get the cash? It just wouldn't be attractive to trade with merchants if that's the case

I have a doubt though,

What would the lordly house get out of it? Since merchants don't have trade goods. Would they just get the cash? It just wouldn't be attractive to trade with merchants if that's the case
    From the rules: Merchant Trade: Merchants will still function as the outlined in the rules but they will also now have a new role to fulfill. That of freelance contractors who can add additional routes to a lord's trade for a set amount of time. To do this a merchant must be willing to use their caravans or ships or warehouse for a Lord's benefit.

E.g. I have three ships. I use two for my own private ventures (usual income generation) and I hire one out to Lord Serry for trade. This mean the ship will not generate usual profit but 10,000 dragons for the Lord less whatever fees the Merchants charges. This will benefits both parties, but beware, a greedy Lord may try to seize your assets!

Note, in order to prevent abuse, if a merchant character is created solely for the reason to add an additional trade route for a lord or a group of lords and he or she is not consistently played, then the mod team reserve the right to terminate the merchant and his contracts.

From the rules: Merchant Trade: Merchants will still function as the outlined in the rules but they will also now have a new role to fulfill. That of freelance contractors who can add additional routes to a lord's trade for a set amount of time. To do this a merchant must be willing to use their caravans or ships or warehouse for a Lord's benefit.

E.g. I have three ships. I use two for my own private ventures (usual income generation) and I hire one out to Lord Serry for trade. This mean the ship will not generate usual profit but 10,000 dragons for the Lord less whatever fees the Merchants charges. This will benefits both parties, but beware, a greedy Lord may try to seize your assets!

Note, in order to prevent abuse, if a merchant character is created solely for the reason to add an additional trade route for a lord or a group of lords and he or she is not consistently played, then the mod team reserve the right to terminate the merchant and his contracts.
    Oh I had forgotten about this. Nice stuff

Still, this isn't exactly what I was talking about. I remember I once, as a merchant, traded with a Free City. I don't know if this is still possible. If it is possible, it brings out a lot of questions: how many tradelanes does a merchant have? and what is his trade good bonus? why would a lordly house trade with a merchant? etc.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

The 90's were a dark time for culture. The music, the TV, the fashion.

There's a reason the saying goes "only 90s kids remember the 90s". It isn't some arrogant claim that only the children of that decade experienced it to the full, rather it is a sad reflection that we weren't mature enough to realise that decade is best forgotten.

Oh I had forgotten about this. Nice stuff

Still, this isn't exactly what I was talking about. I remember I once, as a merchant, traded with a Free City. I don't know if this is still possible. If it is possible, it brings out a lot of questions: how many tradelanes does a merchant have? and what is his trade good bonus? why would a lordly house trade with a merchant? etc.
    I remember that ... slightly. It was something that I did with using the merchant rules but expanding it slightly or rather, interpreting it in a different way. I'll need to look at that stuff up again to see how I did it.

The number of trade lanes was your number of assets I believe in the trade ship form. You sacrificed the their normal income in favor of getting the resource income and it was only really feasible with the Essosi and the major port cities (the noes with boosted trade income) as they were the only ones that gave you a legitimate income that was higher then your base one.

Victorius's Avatar Semisalis

what happened to the lords, captured by rebels? where are they at?

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Post in the Battle of Tumbleton thread. They'd be with the remnants of Maelys' army which is currently there. Pericles is the commander of what remains.

Quote Originally Posted by Honors Bastion View Post
    I remember that ... slightly. It was something that I did with using the merchant rules but expanding it slightly or rather, interpreting it in a different way. I'll need to look at that stuff up again to see how I did it.

The number of trade lanes was your number of assets I believe in the trade ship form. You sacrificed the their normal income in favor of getting the resource income and it was only really feasible with the Essosi and the major port cities (the noes with boosted trade income) as they were the only ones that gave you a legitimate income that was higher then your base one.
    Indeed, it was something like it. It was with one of the Free Cities, if I remember correctly.

Maybe it can be reworked into being more attractive to both merchants and noblemen