Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seige Performance Issue

Default Seige Performance Issue

Hello

At the moment I'm experiencing terrible performance issues in siege battles when the castle is a fortress or beyond. It starts off ok then gets progressively worse untill it is unplayable. It occurs only in seiges, I tested this earlier. It also doesn't matter if i'm attacking or defending. It's being quite the game killer.

My specs are 3.2 GHZ, 7800GT 512MB, 2GB Ram.

Thanks for your time and help.

EDIT: Update: After some more research I think the performance issue stems from the dodgy siege AI. That is when they all bunch up together rushing towards the ladders/towers or the front gate. This causes the game to slow down untill its unplayable. This is a gamebreaker for me at the moment and untill someone bright finds a fix I'm going to have to shelve it.
    Last edited by sviss; November 17, 2006 at 08:45 PM.

Metellus's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: Seige Performance Issue

Yes, I'm having this exact problem too, although my PC's specs are significantly lower than yours: 1Gb RAM, GeForce 6600GT, Intel 2.8GHz. Battles that are out in the open are perfect (even on high settings), but as soon as there is a big castle, lag is terrible, so I end up autoresolving. I don't have a solution for this but anyone who can suggest improvements, please post!

It seems a fair amount of people are having a problem similar to mine. It's not really something I can ignore. Auto resolving is out of the question because they computer can't win.

I only autoresolve if the battle involved a castle or upward. I find the computer does a good job, and if I outnumber the enemy with the same sort of unit quality, I'm almost guaranteed victory. Its a shame though because I'd love to see more beautiful fortresses, and also have the occasional 'desperate last stand' as I manage to hold onto a fort that I otherwise would have lost in an autoresolve.

@Sviss: Your processor is the problem. It looks like a P4 or Celeron which are too old and not as fast as todays processors. Please tell me what processor it is.

@Metellus: What kind of Intel do you have?

@Both of You: If your trying to get max settings, neither rig is configured to do so. My rig can barely play max settings, so try reduing the settings to medium. Also, go to Shader 1 in the video options.
    Create a Multiplayer Army Online at: www.shogun2armycreator.netne.net
    Your Unofficial Shogun 2 Tech Support Genius
    Visit my Youtube Channel
    Shogun 2 and Star Wars: The Old Republic Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/itsmymillertime

Well I'm going to knock down all of my settings and try the seige again and see how it goes. But It makes no sense to me that i can have 3000v3000 battles on a map with no castle with high settings and it runs mint but add a fortress in and it slows to 1FPS.

I have the exact same problem, even after knocking down ALL of the visual settings to absolute minimun levels.

CPU: Pentium 4 630/3.0 GHz
    RAM: 1 GB 4200 DDR2
    Video Card: 6800GS

I also downloaded the latest drivers today for giggles, but no effect. I going to try disabling hyper threading in the bios, I know some games have had problems utilizing HT.

Well disabling HT didn't do it. It seems to start when the enemy rushes the ladders, and get jumbled up, bug? :hmmm:

Merged double post. - Trajan
    Last edited by Trajan; November 18, 2006 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Merged non-duplicate double post.

This sems to be a problem with ATI cards
    I have it also
    Baldrick..your problem is a bug
    You ask for steak, I bring you fish. You say that you think steak is better than fish. I say that fish is much more popular than steak so obviously it's better. You say that no matter how good the fish is it can't be better at being steak than the actual steak we used to serve. I say that's just your perception and you're entitled to it but you should accept that fish is the future and that's good. You begin to say something but I stab you in the eye with a fork and run into the kitchen.

Could be a bug, but a P4 3.0GHz is a little slow.
    Visit my Youtube Channel

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Quote Originally Posted by AlfonsoVIII
    but a P4 3.0GHz is a little slow.
    It's old but it's not slow. My P4 w/HT 3.20GHz is doing a wonderful job in playing M2TW with high to max video settings and huge unit settings. The worst performance I ever got in a huge siege was very minimal lag. Thank God for that because before I bought the game, I was worried that my PC couldn't cut it.

Sorry about that Trajan, my mind is a bit tired. I am accustomed to say P4's are not good because of their age, but I tend to forget that last of the P4's are still awesome.
    Visit my Youtube Channel

This is quite clearly a bug. I have an Nvidia card, so it's not an issue with ATi. My game runs perfectly smooth at any other time, but during certain sieges, it'll slow to a crawl. It happens especially when there are ladders/rams/siege towers involved, and it seems to get worse once they actually have them up against the walls. Does anyone know a way to remedy this temporarily? It's a real killer during large sieges.... I hope they fix this in the patch.

murat can's Avatar Semisalis

yep, it happens to me too, I had a siege battle (i was defending) and after about 10 minutes fps dropped to 1-3!! it was unplayable..

My Specs

AMD 4200+ X2 2.2Ghz
    ATI X850XT PE
    1GB Ram
    120GB HardDrive

Clearly its not my computer. i think its a bug that should be fixed in the next patch, but i dont think CA knows about this bug

Quote Originally Posted by murat can View Post
    yep, it happens to me too, I had a siege battle (i was defending) and after about 10 minutes fps dropped to 1-3!! it was unplayable..

My Specs

AMD 4200+ X2 2.2Ghz
    ATI X850XT PE
    1GB Ram
    120GB HardDrive

Clearly its not my computer. i think its a bug that should be fixed in the next patch, but i dont think CA knows about this bug
    *sigh*
    this is a known bug and CA knows about it
    its called the ladder siege bug
    Dont confuse it with the ATI graphic bug
    with this bug battles at large cities/castles laaaaag from the start from certain point of views
    like looking in the direction of the city
    but not when you look from the walls at attacking troops and so on
    You ask for steak, I bring you fish. You say that you think steak is better than fish. I say that fish is much more popular than steak so obviously it's better. You say that no matter how good the fish is it can't be better at being steak than the actual steak we used to serve. I say that's just your perception and you're entitled to it but you should accept that fish is the future and that's good. You begin to say something but I stab you in the eye with a fork and run into the kitchen.

freekyjason's Avatar Civis

hmm im running:

P4 3.0ghz Dual Core
    2gig DDR2 RAM
    7600gt 256m nvidia
    grand total of 4.2gig free out of 335gig on sata2 hdd's

the lag in sieges everyone is mentioning i dont experience. i get an occasional stutter when i zoom in on all the men trying to squeeze through the gate, but that lasts not even a second really, just a rendering issue i think.

maybe its the dual core, even though the game is not optimised for it... i dont know, but so far the only glitch i have in sieges is the AI army not attacking me at times

I finally got around my siege, after increasing the game speed, and attacking the enemy at the ladders the lag finally cleared up and I won .

Now I attack ladder bearers with a unit or two of disposable troops (peasants, or low ranking spearmen) to hold them at bay while picking them off with my archers/ballista towers.

I also created a few huge customized battles in open terrain. Even though the game warned me they were too big I had no issues on minimum settings (still looked pretty good too).

Seems it's not cpu/gpu overload just some sorta bug with siege ladders.

Now back to kicking ruddy Danish arse!
    Last edited by Baldrick; November 19, 2006 at 09:50 AM.

For me it's fine in a seige on offensive but on defense it gets AWFUL on one condition. IF I manage to destroy their ram and tower they will be left with ladders and the ENTIRE army will swarm the bottom of the ladder trying to get up. This essentially destroys my FPS and makes the battle unplayable. What's worse is that my archers will usually run out of ammo and I have two choices - 1) wait like 30 minutes or more for my towers to kill their army or 2) exit and lose...

To remedy this I've turned down all my settings to low.

Needless to say it hurts.

My specs are:

2.8GHz P4
    1Gb DDR RAM
    GeForce 6600GT

I am embarrassed to say its because I didn't find the Advanced Options screen, until Friday morning when I tweaked everything down to a reasonable level. The default settings were waaaay too high and that was causing all the lag. Now I can have 1000 vs 1000 men battles in and around castles etc. with little to no lag (haven't tried larger ones yet, no need to). To be honest I don't miss most of the advanced options anyway, and one of them causes the detail of the mens' uniforms etc. to look very smudged/blurry (I think its the antialiasing, not sure), when I dropped down to acceptable graphic levels (for my card) the units turned out much brighter and crisper. So I'm very happy with performance!

Quote Originally Posted by Metellus View Post
    My specs are:

2.8GHz P4
    1Gb DDR RAM
    GeForce 6600GT

I am embarrassed to say its because I didn't find the Advanced Options screen, until Friday morning when I tweaked everything down to a reasonable level. The default settings were waaaay too high and that was causing all the lag. Now I can have 1000 vs 1000 men battles in and around castles etc. with little to no lag (haven't tried larger ones yet, no need to). To be honest I don't miss most of the advanced options anyway, and one of them causes the detail of the mens' uniforms etc. to look very smudged/blurry (I think its the antialiasing, not sure), when I dropped down to acceptable graphic levels (for my card) the units turned out much brighter and crisper. So I'm very happy with performance!
    It doesn't appear you're experiencing this particular bug, then, because for me and many others lowering graphical detail doesn't do anything to fix it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast