Thread: General question - Control of AI commanders in battle

King_Z's Avatar Foederatus

Default General question - Control of AI commanders in battle

This is such a great mod/game. Huzzah to the creators.

When you have the option to have two or more armies attacking or besieging a target, it gives you the option of setting the other army to be AI controlled, or to be AI controlled but you have a general control over the whole unit. This is to make it easier to control multiple armies and I understand that fact.

I am not entirely sure about this...

When your second army has a general, if I decide to manoeuvre the soldiers with my own so I am in complete control (stops stupid generals deciding they want to die) will that general still get special traits if they are not in control of the army themselves, or will it only be the one general that is in the first army that will only get the special traits earned after the battle?

Also the same situation but with a commander (normal unit acts as general) in charge of the second army, will he have a better chance of becoming a general (if he proves himself in battle).

I often send an army in with no general as I presume that this is the best way for commanders to become generals, when I am in need of more generals. Is this correct. I have noticed that I can train generals by build a mounted unit, this is not true for all mods across the Total war and would like to know if anyone can help.

KEA's Avatar Senator

Default Re: General question - Control of AI commanders in battle

When bodyguard units are made recruitable they are created as new named characters by the engine.

I don't know if generals of allied armies do get traits.

King_Z's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by KEA View Post
    When bodyguard units are made recruitable they are created as new named characters by the engine.
    I do not properly understand. Do you mean it is a random event? Or does it mean that a unit has distinguished its self in the previous battle above all others?

Quote Originally Posted by KEA View Post
    I don't know if generals of allied armies do get traits.
    Thanks for your input, for anyone else who can answer this, just to clarify I mean armies that you own but are not in control for that particular battle as you have chosen the AI to take control of that army whilst you control the main army in the battle.

KEA's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by King_Z View Post
    I do not properly understand. Do you mean it is a random event? Or does it mean that a unit has distinguished its self in the previous battle above all others?
    No. I was talking about the possibility to recruit named generals from towns. This is done by making the bodyguard unit recruitable.

The chance of a new general being promoted after battle is depending on your general-to-settlement-ratio. When you control a lot of provinces but only few family members, you will have a good chance that you get a new character after a victorious battle in which your army was commanded by a "captain" (dummy commander ahead of one of the random units in battle).
    Thanks for your input, for anyone else who can answer this, just to clarify I mean armies that you own but are not in control for that particular battle as you have chosen the AI to take control of that army whilst you control the main army in the battle.
    That's the PostBattle-monitor. I know that it only fires for the actual commanding general of an army, but not for other family members in the same army. Not sure how the engine treats generals in "allied" armies in the same battle.