Thread: Should I try Shogun 2?

Captain Orange's Avatar Libertus

Default Should I try Shogun 2?

I've heard many praise for this game in other sites. Some of them said that this is one of the best games CA made.

But i would I like to hear the opinions of the guys here. Should I try this game? Is it worth it?

Default Re: Should I try Shogun 2?

I would wait for a Steam sale, I feel like S2 and Fall of the Samurai ought to be $30, American price. But it's still decent and you should get plenty of play time even at full price. Vanilla plays fast and it's very streamlined compared to previous titles, but I kind of like it for what it is. Personally I prefer RTW/Medieval 2 (mainly for mods), and then Empire and Shogun 2 for a change of pace.

You'll definitely have a different experience than the other total war games. This one is fast paced in combat and on campaign. I definitely recommend it but you should wait for a steam sale so you can get all of the goodies that the DLC's bring.

Itīs personally my favorite TW so far (coming from Rome I), and worth every penny I put in it. I think itīs even the steam game I played the most.
    As said, the experience is a bit different from previous iterations. Much more focused, in term of scale and gameplay. I personally love the brilliant execution of every aspects from the game, though some people can blame the lack of variety. It really feels simple and beautiful.

I would wait for steam sales if you can, and AT LEAST take vanilla+key dlcs+FOTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Orange View Post
    I've heard many praise for this game in other sites. Some of them said that this is one of the best games CA made.

But i would I like to hear the opinions of the guys here. Should I try this game? Is it worth it?
    DON'T DO IT!!! This game is addictive like crack. I fell behind in school. I spent so much time on it playing every single clans and trying all different difficulties.. I wish I never have discovered it in the first place.

magraev's Avatar Biarchus

I recomend it. I especially love the "Fall Of The Samurai" DLC, and play that far more than Shogun 2 itself. Both games are great though.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Consider that Shogun 2 is the best game produced by CA, its quality is still unmatched and probably we won't see for a long time (3/4 years?) new or better historical titles by CA, so, if you love TW games, Shogun 2 is a MUST.

If you are just a rts player in search for a new game, there are tons reviews about any TW title, here on TWC, on youtube, on hundreds Internet sites, on Steam, really you have just to read them and then make your choice based on your gameplay style and on your interests.

Artifex

In my oppinion - I am a realism fanatic who loves complex, plausible and deep games - Shogun II is quite arcadish and dumbed down when you compare it to CA's masterpiece Medieval II Total War.
    However, with proper modding, Shogun II can become a decent game.
    I advise you to buy the European Gold version from Amazon or any other site available in your country. The European Gold version contains all addons and DLCs besides the blood fountain DLC for a fair price.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism
    A realism mod for Shogun II, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Medieval is good just because it's moddable, and its mods make the game simply wonderful, but vanilla Medieval is pure crap, with horrid units, broken battles mechanics (just a single example: medieval knights not charging!), tragic AI, simply doing nothing, and a very bad map, and horrid lights and atmospheric effects, all in all a tragedy, but it's moddable ... and this changes all ..

Shogun 2 is GREAT because its units, its graphics, its map, its interface, its expansions and so on .. they are simply PERFECT.

If only CA gave us products as Shogun, instead of crap as Rome 2 and Attila, I'd be the happiest man in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Medieval is good just because it's moddable, and its mods make the game simply wonderful, but vanilla Medieval is pure crap, with horrid units, broken battles mechanics (just a single example: medieval knights not charging!), tragic AI, simply doing nothing, and a very but map, and horrid lights and atmospheric effects, all in all a tragedy, but it's moddable ... and this changes all ..

Shogun 2 is GREAT because its units, its graphics, its map, its interface, its expansions and so on .. they are simply PERFECT.

If only CA gave us products as Shogun, instead of crap as Rome 2 and Attila, I'd be the happiest man in the world.
    Preach.

I started another thread discussing S2TW's flaws a few weeks ago. If you want an opinion on the game, I suggest you read it, there were some really good arguments both in favor and against the game.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...loves-shogun-2

I'd say it's a good game. Definitely worth looking into. Although I'd also wait for a steam sale if I were you, or get it at G2A.com: https://www.g2a.com/shogun-2-total-w...am-cd-key.html

I wouldn't sing the praises of the game like some people above though... The game has some serious flaws, and it's faaar from perfect. Whether you consider it to be CA's masterpiece or not is mostly down to personal preference in my opinion.
    Simply, if you try this game (and I recommend that you do), just don't expect the masterpiece some people are calling it. This way you won't be disappointed and you'll still find the game enjoyable.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Go for it.

Buy it, enjoy it, play it again. It's a lot of fun, it has very good replayability and it allows you to explore the different paths of the clans. Add in FOTS for the mix (naval battles in FOTS are really nice!) + the rest of the DLC packs, and you're pretty set.

Definitely enjoyed it.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Shogun 2 is the best vanilla Total War.

Rijul.J.Ballal's Avatar Domesticus

Shogun 2 is amazing. Its the most polished and balanced of the recent total war titles.

Shogun 2 has very solid gameplay mechanics, immersive atmosphere and fewer gameplay flaws than R1 and Med II. As a downside it's less deep and complex than previous titles, many gameplay aspects are either gone or "abstracted out" and there are much fewer mods/overhauls for it.

It is a good game, and a worthy part of the TW franchise. I suggest you buy it if you're interested in the time period and culture.

ok i know this isnt the place to ask this question..but non one is looking at the Pack file manager thread anymore and i need help..i downloaded PFm for shogun 2 and i cant edit Any DB files...they all show in red..has anyone had any problems with this?? im in need of help...please