Thread: Lung cancer: Cuban scientists discover partial cure, stopping tumorous growth

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Gatorade, is it in you?

Default Lung cancer: Cuban scientists discover partial cure, stopping tumorous growth

This is a very fascinating development. Regarding the renewed relations between Cuba and the US after the diplomatic bridge built by the Obama administration and Raul Castro's regime...

Cuba has a possible lung cancer vaccine that America can now test

One of the first diplomatic exchanges will involve Cimavax, a lung cancer vaccine first developed in Cuba. But it doesn't work for prevention like a traditional vaccine; instead, it stimulates the immune system in a different way, to stop cancers from growing within people who already have the disease. Researchers down there found that the vaccine increased survival rates and had few side effects in patients with late-stage disease.

There's reason to be cautious: US studies will need to replicate these findings in order to meet federal regulatory standards. And, as this Wired report points out, "Cimavax probably won’t be a game-changing cancer drug in its current form." That's because, again, for now it only seems to stop tumors from growing more, but it doesn't prevent or cure the disease.

For now, scientists are excited about the possibility — and the exchange raises questions about how a political shift might spur medical innovation.
    Well then, credit where credit is due! The whole country of Cuba could use a fresh coat of paint, but their healthcare professionals, researchers, and scientists have made some excellent strides in their professions and pioneered something really brilliant here with Cimavax.

So what do you think the ramifications of the introduction of this vaccine will be? Cuba distributes it so cheaply and makes it available to all its citizens, yet I could imagine US pharmaceutical companies marketing it in the US for exorbitant prices that only the rich could afford. Do you think that will happen? Do you think this is really encouraging news, or should we hold off on the celebrations until all the research is in?

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Lung cancer: Cuban scientists discover partial cure, stopping tumorous growth

Yet now they can import their cigars too. Conspiracy? I think so.
    Rep me and I'll rep you back. (IF YOU LEAVE YOUR NAME!)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrZanyGaming View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Strider View Post
    Oh, and this is false. As a white person, I can say that it's not possible to be racist to a white person.
    Congratulations, you just lowered my IQ by 10 points.

Default Re: Lung cancer: Cuban scientists discover partial cure, stopping tumorous growth

US studies will need to replicate these findings
    Now there is an understatement...
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

John Doe's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Cuba distributes it so cheaply and makes it available to all its citizens, yet I could imagine US pharmaceutical companies marketing it in the US for exorbitant prices that only the rich could afford. Do you think that will happen? Do you think this is really encouraging news, or should we hold off on the celebrations until all the research is in?
    Pharmaceutical aren't interested in cures that much, they rather have people needing taking pills on a daily basis for as long as possible, that's where the money is. It's been the pattern of most new cancer drugs recently.

A one off injection? they won't get a decent dividend for their shareholders with that.

There's also the possibility for changing the chemical formula a tiny bit, so that it still works but different enough not to have to pay copyright on it. For that they won't allow Cimavax to gain a commercial foothold on the market: passing the regulatory approval will give them all the time they need.
    Last edited by John Doe; May 17, 2015 at 05:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
    Pharmaceutical aren't interested in cures that much, they rather have people needing taking pills on a daily basis for as long as possible, that's where the money is. It's been the pattern of most new cancer drugs recently.

A one off injection? they won't get a decent dividend for their shareholders with that.

There's also the possibility for changing the chemical formula a tiny bit, so that it still works but different enough not to have to pay copyright on it. For that they won't allow Cimavax to gain a commercial foothold on the market: passing the regulatory approval will give them all the time they need.
    That or we need to be sure that a drug coming from a country not known for great quality control, actually, you know, works.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Phier View Post
    we need to be sure that a drug coming from a country not known for great quality control, actually, you know, works.
    Vioxx, Fosamax, Nuvaring, Juvania, Paxil, Avandia, etc.... etc.... etc...., with an history of quality control like this, who looks down on Cuba?

Quote Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
    Vioxx, Fosamax, Nuvaring, Juvania, Paxil, Avandia, etc.... etc.... etc...., with an history of quality control like this, who looks down on Cuba?
    Yes I figured you were one of those.

My shameful truth.

So was F D Roosevelt.

Lobbying in DC doesn't prove him wrong.

edit: fool me once shame on you
    fool me twice shame on me
    fool me several dozen times: I'm shameless
    Last edited by John Doe; May 20, 2015 at 05:35 PM.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

To the OP more good news on winding down a stupid pointless petty embargo that was nonsensical 40 years ago let alone today.

Will treatment work who knows and how good is the Cuban data is again a mystery at this point.

I disturbed by the reporting since they seem to calling what Cuba developed a bio pharmaceutical injection for acute treatment a Vaccine - which is bad reporting.

"Cimavax, a lung cancer vaccine first developed in Cuba. But it doesn't work for prevention like a traditional vaccine; instead, it stimulates the immune system in a different way, to stop cancers from growing within people who already have the disease. Researchers down there found that the vaccine increased survival rates and had few side effects in patients with late-stage disease."

Nobody should have ever wrote that - it is either a vaccine or it is not.

But even if it is oversold PR, its good the data is out. One of the biggest problems in science is the fear of negative results - due to either the quarterly profit demand of fear of a rejected paper or disappointing thesis or whatever. That is bad either by luring somebody to play with stats to pass a bad review or simply fail to publish - when that could spare somebody else from going down the same rabbit hole.
    Last edited by conon394; May 21, 2015 at 12:27 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.