Thread: Hre

Default Hre

Ive just started my frist campagien as the hre(as I promise myself)anyway by what some people who I know say they suck is this true but I think not and ill be psoting screens as I go anyone else plz show me thier hre campagien and tactics for this faction?:german:

A very bad speller...but have german pride

Romanos's Avatar Hey

Default Re: Hre

Moved to the battle Planning. PM me if you have a problem.
    Under the Great and Honorable Patronage of Fabolous
    Patron (father) of Sir Matthias and ForgottenImmortal
    Grandson of Lucius Veronus
    Member of S.I.N
    Sept 2003 - 2004 - 2nd Generation Jun 23 2004 (25-Feb)

will do

edmont's Avatar Miles

Germans are rather strong,of course,they had more unit types in real history,like Goedendag,but you generally can beat most of Europe on that rooster which is given in the game.The most danger is Italian states in the begining because of they strong militia,but try to rely on mercs there before you get disent troops .
    Make WAR not LOVE.In the GRIM DARK MEDIEVAL there's only WAR !!!

just had my frist crusade to antioch and weirdly frist to get there but im not suprised cause I was probaly the only one due to the fact of I got organized quickly and europe isint really moving but im only like 21 turns in the game..

Duke_of_Bavaria's Avatar Vicarius

In my oppinion when youre playing with HRE Poland and Denmark are the real dangers. The Italian states are buissy beating the hell outa' each other aswell as the Byzantines.
    Poland and Denmark can strangle you and your economy.. It's always a great advantage to start on an Island or far out in a corner, HRE is a challenge and I would deffinetly not play it as my 1st faction . I went for England (still playign with them) but I've played like 20 turns with HRE.

Well, I'm currently playing as the HRE in my first campaign, and it's been a blast. I've had my most immediate struggles with the Italian states just because of their vicinity. I took Florence, so both Milan and Venice are sandwiching me. The thing is, you should have enough military might and resources that if you beat one of their big stacks, it's usually decisive. I've beat back both Milan and Venice.

France hasn't been an issue... They declared war on me but haven't invaded, and I think they're tied up in Spain right now.

Denmark recently invaded me and attacked Hamburg, but I beat them back. All I need to do is invade when I feel the time is right.

The two factions that worry me are Poland and Hungary. They're both decently strong (Poland in particular, who happened to be the faction to capture Jerusalem), and if I lose Vienna, which is the city producing my most cash per turn, I'll be in a real pickle. My strategy is to use Vienna as my satellite, absolutely stack it and create an eastern army and just wait and see what happens. I'm the dominant power in the world, so most factions seem to have their eyes on my lands...

I'd like to see a full stack army vs full stack army in castle type siege.
    Now, there is nothing you can do, but become, a freak!!!!
    - Freako The Clown

Quote Originally Posted by SIlver General65
    Ive just started my frist campagien as the hre(as I promise myself)anyway by what some people who I know say they suck is this true but I think not and ill be psoting screens as I go anyone else plz show me thier hre campagien and tactics for this faction?:german:
    The HRE were the first faction i played as, they have some very nice units and certainly dont suck. At the very start of the campaign i used every single unit i had and spread them over mainland europe in order to take all the unprotected rebel settlements before other factions could and very quickly I had a huge empire. I then settled in and built up defenses in order to finish the job.

lawngnome's Avatar Cool as a Dry Ice.

HRE have some fun infantry types and the heaviest of heavies as far as cavalry go... they are a little weak on archers, so I think they have problems against Poland/Hungary and their mobile light cavalry forces, but if you can bait them into a battle you should be fine vs. them. Denmark will throw huge infantry armies at you, so bring your Knights, while France will have a vast amount of cavalry, so use those halberdiers/spears/pikes against them. Keep an eye on Poland as HRE the most, I'd say, they are quite powerful in every game I've played so far.
    Under the patronage of lawngnome. Patron of lawngnome.

Duke_of_Bavaria's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Kroz
    I'd like to see a full stack army vs full stack army in castle type siege.
    Brrrrrrl no I hate that. Try taking a citadell with a full army, it's hell. The timer ain't the problem, the narrow streets are.
    It worked fine earlier when the castles were small but it just wont do anymore. I find my self camping outside the town untill they come out nowdays.

Currently I'm expanding in eastern Europe, Mid-East and Africa. All the European nations are so rich that they have citadells everywhere, I just can't be arsed with taking one. It costs me 2/3 of my army if they have a decent commander.

Kustjägarsoldat, A-dyk #31 Nordenskiöld - KJ för alltid!

I think it's fun to watch my troops get slaugtered sometimes.
    Now, there is nothing you can do, but become, a freak!!!!
    - Freako The Clown

Metellus's Avatar Civitate

Am playing HRE as well... anyone know what to build to get Zweihanders? I'm interested in trying them out...

I hate how all you got is spear men it just stinks..

Ecthelion's Avatar Great Ramen Connoisseur

Playing as the HRE is the greatest thing ever.

I am at war, continuously from Norway to the lower Nile LOL

Since I'm at war with just about all my neighbors, I have little trade income and I can barely make enough money to break even, but hey, land is power, not money!
    This is my signature. Isn't it awesome?

I defeated Poland in my first HRE campaign right off the bat and then just kicked Denmark out of Arhus and never had to worry about them again. Then I focused on the French and Milanese cities and occasionally had to beat back Hungary and Sicily. Venice was a total push over. As was England and Scotland.

in order to keep yourself set you MUST DEFEAT DENMARK IMMEDIATELY. they will blitz you if you do not. Poland can be kept at bay for a while however as they go eastward not west.

take the nearest castles to ensure you have both a military base to protect your lands and income from areas that you know will not rebel. to deal with denmark go archers, to deal with the italians go cavalry. the french are usually busy minding themselves with engalnd so it may be wise to offer a daughter in alliance or simple ally with them. i would go with allying with the venicians at first so you can beat up on milan as they become mr.strong in the area. sicily will no doubt try to seize your lands as well from the south so be alert. the ai is stupid and archers bring out the worst in them, both for their defences and attach wise. bring as many mailed knights as you can. focus purely on militray expansion or else youll be forced to fight numerous stacks of enemy forces which you can not afford to do with all your lands surrounded by other factions hungry for yours.
    Without a sign, his sword the brave man draws, and asks no omen but his country's cause

Liberalism is a mental disorder

The HRE is a challenge because it's surrounded by so many potential enemies.

In my current game I'm not after world domination; I rather try to keep peace with everyone. Quite fun to do, even with less than perfect diplomacy.

First thing I did was leaving Bologna; it sits in between Venice, Milan and Sicily so it's a cause of inevitable war if you stay there. Leaving it will mean you can have long lasting peace with Milan and Sicily, although Venice stays annoying.

Than I went straight away for Denmark. Destroy it as soon as you can. If you don't the Danes will come after you, sooner rather than later. They've got nowhere else to go. Also, securing scandinavia will give you a solid economical basis. Destroying the Danes got me excommunicated but early in the game that's less of a problem as the other nations won't be powerfull enough to attack you straight away.

After all that, I started building up my economy and military, and soon enough you're the #1 world power, without unnescessary wars all over the place.