Thread: Siege of Toledo

Opifex

Default Siege of Toledo

The siege of the Castilian fortress of Toledo, in Spain. It is an impressive castle, perched upon a hill, with a river running through large portions of its circumference.

The Portugese have brought a massive army, with many impressive siege engines, but because of the direction they chose to attack from, the only gate they can attack this side of the castle is this pitiful one cramped in the corner of my walls.

Then they have to travel up this long and lonely path to capture my city center, all the while my troops will be harassing them from all sides.

Unfortunately, while terrain and circumstance favor me against the vastly more numerous enemy, my troops have loaded in the very opposite side of the castle! It is a race for whether the enemy can breach the walls before my troops get in position. Don't forget to notice the gorgeous river running aside my castle.

Well anyway, I won that siege, but barely. The castle/terrain engine in this game is amazing. I can't wait to fight with larger castles.
    Last edited by SigniferOne; November 16, 2006 at 04:42 PM.

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

Default Re: Siege of Toledo

Hey I did that same siege only I was the attacker. Don't think it was Toledo though, I'm pretty sure it was Valencia. Same problem, I got stuck on that small side gate. The worst part was the siege towers had to go around the path to get to the wall so I just ended up using ladders only.

Sadreddine's Avatar Lost in a Paradise Lost

Cool.

And Toledo is represented most correctly in its great strategic position on the hill surrounded by the river Tajo. I have been there recently, for the second time; indeed one of the most beautiful cities in Spain, and with a rich and fascinating history.
    Struggling by the Pen since February 2007.

َاللَّهُ بِكُلِّ شَيْءٍ عَلِيمٌ

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Ibn Rushd
    Cool.

And Toledo is represented most correctly in its great strategic position on the hill surrounded by the river Tajo. I have been there recently, for the second time; indeed one of the most beautiful cities in Spain, and with a rich and fascinating history.

Ahh,yes the river Tejo.....

Tejo

The Tejo is more beautiful than the river that runs thru' my village.

But the Tejo is not more beautiful than the river that runs thru' my village. Because the Tejo is not the river that runs thru' my village.
    The Tejo has great ships

And on her waters still are sailing

For those who see in everything what there is not,

The memory of the galleons.
    The Tejo rises in Spain
    And the Tejo flows in the sea in Portugal.
    All people know this.
    But few know which is the river of my village
    And where it goes
    And from where it comes.
    And therefore, because it belongs to fewer people,
    More free and greater is the river of my village.
    For the Tejo is a way to the World.
    For beyond the Tejo lies America
    And the fortune of its encounter.
    Nobody ever thought about what lies beyond
    The river of my village.
    The river of my village makes us remember nothing.
    Who is at its bank is only at its bank.

Fernando Pessoa (portuguese poet)

Scarlett Letterman's Avatar Semisalis

Ha I just stormed Toledo today myself, I didn't even notice the river?! But yeah my experience sucked cause the enemy only had 3 units of dismounted feuds, was sorta tedious to go though two walls just for them, shoulda auto resolved. Impressive looking castle though!

signature by Alfonso VIII

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Wow, that's a nice looking castle. Maybe when CA mentioned the unique castles they meant in the way the Castles use the terrain?
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

yea lusted i think that also idd.... Bern had also a nice castle in a nice landschape......

Yes the siege of Toledo... I carried it out some time ago in my current Spanish campaign, very impressive battle and scenery... it was my first test with the Moors and contrary to what some people say I had to beat 2 Moorish camped armies and a very strong garrison... the battle was bloody and I lost 50% of my forces ;-) Didn't have any glitches during the siege apart from the well known cav charge bug...
    Under the Patronage of Hadrian

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Moved to the After Action Reports sub-forum.

I am impressed with the reppresentation of Toledo, it's very similar to the original. I can't say the same about Venice... (maybe some attantion could be paied in the patch)

Savage_Swede's Avatar Carolus Rex

Sorry to break the immersion But i have seen this castle several times throughout my games. Not just in Toledo that is. But of course, the river haven't been there every siege but...you get the idea.

But if it is as you say, maybe they used the Toleda castle as a model for other casltes as well?

Sig by Lord Rahl
    Under the patronage of Obi Wan Asterix

Europa Barbarorum, what RTW should have been.