Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Roma Surrectum III preview: The new battle map enviroment

Domesticus

Default Re: Roma Surrectum III preview: The new battle map enviroment

If such change went forward, i imagine the main consequence would be game play related. 9 times out of 10, in my campaigns, Rome essentially engulfs the celtic world. Opening up the Alps might speed that up considerably.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold View Post
    On the topic of terrain modding, have you guys considered opening that Alps' pass?
    Opening the Alps in the non-Roman campaigns results in a very weird and unhistorical expansion by the AI Romans. So we closed them to force Rome to be concerned with Greece, lower Gaul, and Spain or Sicily. It worked pretty good. So I would be against opening them.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Amazing.....
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

The AI in RTW loves overland as much as it can... so yeah if it is at war with celts, it will travel on land to fight them if possible rather than try to expand elsewhere.

There was the same issue with the Iberians going up and taking over Gallia when there was an easy path they could travel with.

Been a while i been here. Hi guys, Great work! Hey DVK, and Wraith. I wonder will there be any fixes on the Levi units, models for Greece? And give them pilos helmets? RS is still outstanding from any other. We just purchased lately Attila. Plenty of eye candy, but it just doesn't have the feel like good old RS2. Wraith, excellent work. I wonder also, if we can work on the elevation of mountains lower? When on battle maps, there are still some 90 degree locations for the units. It makes it look out of place. Last thing, founts on loading pages, will that change? Instead having the same ones loading between battles? Thanks.

Roma Surrectum Greek/Spartan Researcher/Tester.

20ninescene's Avatar Artifex

I wonder will there be any fixes on the Levi units, models for Greece? And give them pilos helmets?
    I will discuss that with DVK
    I wonder also, if we can work on the elevation of mountains lower? When on battle maps, there are still some 90 degree locations for the units. It makes it look out of place.
    I'm gonna make custom tile to fix this.
    Last thing, founts on loading pages, will that change? Instead having the same ones loading between battles? Thanks.
    If you have more than one, it may cause a ctd. That's why we only have one per campaign.

Rotateable campaign map? (like in Rome II)
    Would be awesome.
    (I'm hungarian. My english is not so good. Sorry.)

Rotateable campaign map? (like in Rome II)
    Would be awesome.
    That's impossible because of the limits of rtw 1
    Last edited by 20ninescene; May 19, 2015 at 01:11 AM.

Thanks wrath. I know we used the same model for Greek Levi pike units for Athens and other Greek states in the Spartan campaign. I Was wondering if we can change their Armour to just a brown tunic with pilos, and for other Greek units. Because the Greeks didn't invest in a lot of Armour due the to cost, and training of Levi units. Our other pike units are fine. I guess, that's how we fixed the loading problem. Thanks for the reply, looking forward to your work!

hrolphi's Avatar Libertus

Whhaauw......

I'm glad to see development being done again on RS2, but I have to ask.

Will RS3 address the steam issue completely, and will it be possible to fix the terrible AI formations issue, which makes the AI reform their army endlessly, attacking or defending?

Save that, I think it would be a great idea to add a land bridge between Britain and France, Scandinavia and Denmark, and remove the bridge between Iberia and Africa.

The first would help the Britons survive (when you aren't playing them), the second would make the Germans take that city and *not* stack 400 ships and 6 armies there, the third would keep the Spaniards from completely undoing the Carthaginians and ending up in Egypt so often.

Likewise, have you ever considered hardening certain regions with scripted rebels instead of nations? The Iberians, in particular, are pretty useless or they blob endlessly, and make Spain an essentially useless region to focus on once you've taken it--a powerhouse that drains no money from the owning player.

The Romans took around 2 centuries to fully pacify Spain, and the rapid collapse of Iberians in RTW doesn't reflect that challenge--especially not for the Romans. I'd argue they could be removed and replaced by another nation. Perhaps a second one in France, one in Poland, Judaens, proto-Hunnic peoples, or a free Greek city state somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Frum View Post
    The Romans took around 2 centuries to fully pacify Spain, and the rapid collapse of Iberians in RTW doesn't reflect that challenge--especially not for the Romans. I'd argue they could be removed and replaced by another nation. Perhaps a second one in France, one in Poland, Judaens, proto-Hunnic peoples, or a free Greek city state somewhere.
    It seems true for everywhere.

Since when did random cities suddenly expand even larger than the whole roman empire in only 20 years.

Domesticus

9 times out of 10, regardless of faction played, the Gallaeci come out on top in their particular side of the map.

ferike_2007's Avatar Tiro

There is a little trick i use and is worth to try: disable carthaginian factions' naval invasion ability in descr_sm_factions.txt file.

In that file look for the carthaginians and at the line: preferred_naval_invasion, replace "yes" with "no". In this way the AI will "focus" it's efforts to land maneuvers. As far as i know this works only with new campaigns and is not compatible with saved games.

Don't expect miracles, but Carthaginians will 'handle' the Gallaeci invasion better as usual.

In my last campaign - roman faction - the Carthaginians kept their Iberian provinces and finally even allied with the Gallaeci to kill me.
    Holding Emporiae was a real logistic nightmare 'till I developed the barracks and boosted the population in order to create proper troops there...

Just overhauled the semi arid climate, here are some screenies:

The improved sky textures and lighting are hugely improved:

The battlemap lighting, textures and grass are also completely overhauled:

The improved tree textures are very visible on this particular screenshot:

ferike_2007's Avatar Tiro

Great stuff; keep up the good work Wraith!

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

wooooaaaaahhhh!!!!!!

Splendid!

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

Very nice!
    (I'm hungarian. My english is not so good. Sorry.)

Very nice!