Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend me an anime, Sher Khan! (Version 2)

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Default Re: Recommend me an anime, Sher Khan! (Version 2)

How so? I fail to see how either are trolling material. The Ninja Slayer threads are populated by people who genuinely find it entertaining.

Cahoma's Avatar Tribunus
    Sooooomewheeeeere ooover the raaaaainboooow

I never knew how much I wanted a live-action version(with guys) of Gakkou Gurashi before this.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    How so? I fail to see how either are trolling material. The Ninja Slayer threads are populated by people who genuinely find it entertaining.
    I have not seen a Ninja Slayer thread that passed 150 posts in /a/ for two months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Thread size does not=quality. Otherwise Monster Musume would be AOTY

Thread size does not=quality. Otherwise Monster Musume would be AOTY
    There are two wrongs in that statement.

- Low popularity generally is the result of low quality, there is normally no exception for that (unless it is universal love by /a/, such as Gintama or To Love Ru, which /a/ feels no need to discuss much; I am quite sure Ninja Slayer is not one of such exceptions after half year observation).

- /a/ does consider Monster Musume as a possible choice of AOTS and may be AOTY; personally I think AOTS of Summer 2015 is probably Overlord though and AOTY would come from one anime of Spring 2015.

Anyway, I enjoy the fan services of Gakkou Gurashi this week.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

But Overlord still has best girl!!

And that three girl transformation scene in Prisma!!

There is only one picture to describe my feeling about this week's episodes.

Too bad suffering is coming next week.
    Last edited by hellheaven1987; September 06, 2015 at 08:01 AM.
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.

Cahoma's Avatar Tribunus

Shimoneta definitely had the best fanservice this week.

Princess Cadance's Avatar Domesticus

Okay so here we go.

I have never been into anime, I never really watched anime, not in a consistent manner anyhow. I know of some anime of course and I've seen episodes shows that are "anime" in a sense, but still usually a bit Americanized. Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, Naruto, Attack on Titan. You know the really popular or mainstream series' that were on Toonami or Toon Disney and CN around the early millennium. And it's not that I hate animation no, I still see the more popular Disney films, I mean I'm almost 19 and my YouTube avatar and iPod wallpaper is Steven Universe. I have fond memories and a great respect for animation. American ones. I just never got into anime, I suppose I didn't "get" it or understand it or what have you. But I recently bought a Netflix subscription and as I have a deep respect for art and entertainment in all it's aspects, being an aspiring writer myself and I want to expand my horizons so, go ahead and hit me. What are some good, "generic" or mainstream or widely loved anime, for me, a complete novice, to get into the genre?
    "Sing to the LORD a new song;sing to the LORD, all the earth."-Psalm 96:1
    "A true man hates no one."-Napoleon Bonaparte

[QUOTE=hellheaven1987;14680563]There are two wrongs in that statement.

- Low popularity generally is the result of low quality, there is normally no exception for that (unless it is universal love by /a/, such as Gintama or To Love Ru, which /a/ feels no need to discuss much; I am quite sure Ninja Slayer is not one of such exceptions after half year observation
    [QUOTE]
    So Dragon Ball Super is high quality? It gets multiple threads
    Ninja Slayer has low popularity because of its Inferno Copish animation style. The ones who stayed are fine with the style.

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Cadance View Post
    Okay so here we go.

I have never been into anime, I never really watched anime, not in a consistent manner anyhow. I know of some anime of course and I've seen episodes shows that are "anime" in a sense, but still usually a bit Americanized. Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, Naruto, Attack on Titan. You know the really popular or mainstream series' that were on Toonami or Toon Disney and CN around the early millennium. And it's not that I hate animation no, I still see the more popular Disney films, I mean I'm almost 19 and my YouTube avatar and iPod wallpaper is Steven Universe. I have fond memories and a great respect for animation. American ones. I just never got into anime, I suppose I didn't "get" it or understand it or what have you. But I recently bought a Netflix subscription and as I have a deep respect for art and entertainment in all it's aspects, being an aspiring writer myself and I want to expand my horizons so, go ahead and hit me. What are some good, "generic" or mainstream or widely loved anime, for me, a complete novice, to get into the genre?
    First off, those weren't anime in a sense, they ARE anime. Animation made in Japan=anime. Second, Attack on Titan came out three years ago.
    Now, if you want recommendations then look at these charts

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Dragonball Super Episode 5 had terribly animated individual frames. On the whole it was decent but what really annoys me is how sub par the Japanese voice actors sound right now (besides I prefer the Funimation dub). All of them sound like they smoke drugs or don't even care except maybe Goku and Bulma's voice actors (Whis and Beerus are pretty good I think). But it's literally retelling the whole story from the first movie that came out recently and that just makes it boring because I have already seen them. It doesn't help that I just hate 90% of the musical score in Super. Though I suppose Dragon Ball is preference so some people are puritanical and only like Japanese, some people like Funimation, others prefer Ocean Group or some other language dub.

@Princess Cadance, start with all of the Studio Ghibli movies since they're classics, regarded as high quality and short as opposed to watching a whole series.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; September 07, 2015 at 12:34 AM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Cahoma's Avatar Tribunus

Edit: no
    Last edited by Cahoma; May 18, 2016 at 07:32 AM.

Okay so here we go.

You can start by watching all Pokemon, Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh series, which I did hear some good thing about some series.

So Dragon Ball Super is high quality? It gets multiple threads
    Ninja Slayer has low popularity because of its Inferno Copish animation style. The ones who stayed are fine with the style.
    I don't remember seeing a Dragon Ball Super thread that went high post, but you can try to prove Ninja Slayer is popular and "high" quality by simply open a Ninja Slayer thread and claiming it is AOTY, then we can see how /a/ react to it.
    Last edited by hellheaven1987; September 07, 2015 at 09:51 AM.

Princess Cadance's Avatar Domesticus

Well I know that they are Japanese made so obviously yeah, they are anime, but I sort of considered them Americanized in a sense as they were more main stream in their popularity with a non-Japanese audience. So I don't I just felt that they were, uh I don't less true to their original interpretations in Japan, I guess? But anyone yeah thanks I'll look through these and see what I can find on Netflix. I'm assuming Netflix has a rather decent catalog from what I've seen when looking for other series'.
    "Sing to the LORD a new song;sing to the LORD, all the earth."-Psalm 96:1
    "A true man hates no one."-Napoleon Bonaparte

Well if you're are just going for things on Netflix, here is what I suggest: Eureka Seven, Fate/Stay Night, Fate Zero, Fullmetal Alchemist, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Hunter x Hunter, Gargantia on the Verduous Planet, Silver Spoon, Kill La Kill, Soul Eater, Moribito, Mushi Shi, Psycho Pass, Death Note, Samurai Flamenco, Magi, Gurren Lagann, Madoka Magic, and Noragami

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Dragonball Super Episode 5 had terribly animated individual frames. On the whole it was decent but what really annoys me is how sub par the Japanese voice actors sound right now (besides I prefer the Funimation dub). All of them sound like they smoke drugs or don't even care except maybe Goku and Bulma's voice actors (Whis and Beerus are pretty good I think). But it's literally retelling the whole story from the first movie that came out recently and that just makes it boring because I have already seen them. It doesn't help that I just hate 90% of the musical score in Super. Though I suppose Dragon Ball is preference so some people are puritanical and only like Japanese, some people like Funimation, others prefer Ocean Group or some other language dub.

@Princess Cadance, start with all of the Studio Ghibli movies since they're classics, regarded as high quality and short as opposed to watching a whole series.
    japanese voices are great, its the same as kai if im not mistaken.
    I guess it depends what you are most used to it. First time i watched Dragon Ball ( all series), back in the 90s, i watched in Portuguese ( European). Only recently i found the english version, and i couldnt stand it, it has different soundtrack as well, they put over dialogues its a mess sometimes, and i feel it doesnt mix very well with spirit of the show Imo.
    Watched Kai in the original japanese, and it was weird at first, but since i always watch other anime in japanese, it didnt took much time to get used to it, and prefer it actualy.

It realy depends where you standing...

I realy cant place what is with the complaints about super atm by some people ( and i dont think they are that manny but still), its not like Dragon ball series always had amazing animation to begin with. (comparing with other 90s anime for instance) But im enjoy super allright, i think it looks fantastic animation wise. And im not a big fun of GCI animation, but in Super is basicaly not noticeable.

Last episode the ritual for Transformation of Super saiyan god is actualy miles better then it is the movie. I think was well acomplished imo.

✠Ikaroqx✠'s Avatar Campidoctor

Okay so here we go.

Oh hello my clone - aspiring writer too and I'm also expanding my genres to improve my writing.

Let Ikaroqx sensei help you (*squee* now I can tick off 'use sensei to refer to oneself' from my bucket list)

Below are personal opinions. Take it or leave it.

/vent Right, so it annoys me that many people must get their anime from TV, which are mostly the mainstream shows intended for a younger audience (though they have many elements that appeal to all ages). Then when they're on channels like Toon Disney, CN and ABC Kids, no wonder society in general sees anime as childish. /vent

I've put reddit links to gifs, which I'd highly recommend you read the comments to - you'll see what people like about them.

I'd recommend you watch them in Japanese with English subtitles, as the pronunciation of names is actually correct (Kakashi, not Ka-kar-shi), personally some words sound more badass (sekai vs world, Kerezou vs look out, shinra tense vs almighty push), and English voice actors often sound too strained, like the voice they are putting on is difficult (Naruto's English VA especially), and IMO Japanese has a slicker, more refined sound when delivered by quiet or serious characters. Plus hearing 'katon goryou no jutsu' sounds less childish than 'fire style: great fireball jutsu'. It could be taken as a spell rather than just shouting what you're about to do ('thanks for that' would think any competent opponent)

Mature series

Baccano!
    First the setting: 1930's New York. Set on a train in a noir, gangster like feel. It's about several unrelated plots that intersect and overlap as events spiral more and more out of control. 'Immortal alchemists, mafia operated speakeasies and many other elements of pulp fiction mash together'
    https://www.reddit.com/r/animegifs/s...sort=top&t=all

Code Geass
    Themes of betrayal (I think) and the corruption of power. Fast, clever writing and strong plot. Said to have a very satisfying ending. Seems to subvert the overused superpowers trope. It's got an odd, quirky feel to ita - after all it's about a magic eye and giant robot battles with exaggerated clothing and facial styles - but that only adds to its uniqueness and appeal.

Death Note
    Fast and intelligent. The competition isn't between two super beings blasting magic at each other, but two geniuses trying to find the other, without knowing anything about each other. It's presented a lot of moral questions - is it alright to kill people who you see as the scum of society, to improve the world? Can be very tense.

Darker than Black
    One where the protagonist and his lady friend aren't teenagers! It's intended audience would probably be around adults as it's premise is more obscure and it will leave you behind if you don't concentrate. Unlike *cough* Naruto which shove every feeling and memory down your throat as though you're a goldfish. Plus erm... Mask Guy looks awesome.

Elfen Lied
    Horror, gore and nudity. That's enough to justify it as not for kids, right? I can't remember much, but it is still excellent.

Kekai Sensen
    New York City setting! +1 bonus point already. A sort of different outlook overall on magic and monsters. Fast plot.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/animegifs/s..._sr=on&t=allAn

Deadman Wonderland
    A dystopian futuristic setting in a death games, horror-esque arena that is marketed as a theme park.

Garden of Sinners
    Is where my avatar is from. Her mystic eyes of death perception are in some opinions the most powerful anime magic eyes.

Mirai Nikki
    Is the same premise as Battle Royale - a fight to the death where the winner becomes God. It's wacky and intense - especially Gasai Yuno, who is the goddess of yanderes everywhere. She makes overly attached girlfriend look like Fluttershy. The action keeps ploughing on, there's a ton of blood in over the top fights and situations. The cast are also interesting - dangerous people who are the dregs of society.

Others
    Btooom
    Garden of Words
    Ergo Proxy
    Black Lagoon - guns, military, badass MC chick
    Claymore - magic, swords, monsters
    Another - generally regarded as one of the best horror anime. That's all I know about it

Shounen

You probably already know, but Shounen series are usually mean long running, action and themes of friendship, family, teamwork and persistence. While Naruto, One Piece, Bleach and DBZ are subjective amongst older audiences, there are other shounen series that are regarded more highly.

Tokyo Ghoul
    Does this belong here or in the other section? Well whatever. It's becoming mainstream but that doesn't remove its quality. Yes it has virtually no plot, but that's intentional, the plot is its character development. One of its themes of prejudices is done well by showing two sides who see the only way they can survive is by destroying the other. You get an outlook on both sides and characters who seem like scum can later come across as sympathetic. Great action and some beautiful animation.

Full Metal Alchemist and Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
    The first is the original, BH the relaunch (forgotten the word). Try both, or so I've been told. Unlike lots of anime that take place in either a modern setting or feudal Japan, this one is in early 20th century Europe. It's magic system, alchemy, is both more realistic and interesting that 'massive super beam blast!' and I've heard it's without much the filler fluff of Naruto and Bleach. The characters are also well developed and they go through plenty of struggles and suffering.

Hunter x Hunter
    (2011)
    I know nothing about this, except that it's also considered one of the better shounen series.

Gintama
    Is another 200+ long series, but it seems to be absolute worth it. It covers nearly ever genre and theme (there is seriously nothing Gintama won't touch) - one arc might be an intense and emotional fight, the other a parody of Naruto.

Parodies and references are what it's most famous for. The show intentionally and unapologetically parodies pretty much everything and also anime tropes. One of the best I found recently is this - http://gfycat.com/ChillyCourteousIchidna

It often breaks the 4th wall - when the animation studio ran out of budget, the characters had sleep paralysis. In a filler they commented on techniques to avoid animes catching up to their mangas. In another the MC froze time and rewrote action text (in midair) so it's impact didn't hit someone.

Words cannot describe how stupidly awesome it seems.
    http://imgur.com/a/lg33S

Fairy Tail
    Wait people. Yes, I know. It's mainstream. It's stupid and it's fanservicy, but Princess Cadance doesn't have it on his/ her? list. It should be said in the same breath as Naruto, OP, Bleach, etc - mainstream, shounen, action and subjectively overrated. Personally I find it great because it was the first anime I watched, and don't we all have our nostalgic series? If you want non-repetitive plots or strong characters, then it isn't really for you, but it does have great comedy, entertainment, fantastic music and plenty of feels.

Slice of Life and Romance

First, a lesson in high school rom-com settings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXaLo1huGZ0

Angel Beats
    Standard high school setting, but with supernatural themes, fighting, magic and deaths. Is said to be very moving and emotional.

Nisekoi
    If you can find chapter 0, go ahead. It's not part of the print manga so I suspect it was a teaser before the actual thing started. What happens in it isn't quite like the rest (character design changes and and an overall different approach).

It's one of many, many rom-coms. There are tons of them in anime and this is another. What I find appealing about it, and I hope others do too, is it's humour. It's absolutely hilarious - the manga (there's an anime adaption, no idea what it's like) is generally awesome in its humour, depiction of absurd reactions and stupid, random sequence of events. Disappointingy though, its premise of a slapstick comedy of pretend lovers has gradually devolved into just another 'will they or won't they' and 'who will it be?' between the main character and his various female friends. Sigh. I'm holding out for the introduction of a desperately needed third male main character.

Before anyone says anything, yes I know the romance is weak and lots of its potential was wasted. I like it for other reasons.

Really only recommending it because chapter 0 deserves to be read, then you can forget it (although some arcs like the play and marathon were great)

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumia
    Just started this, so I don't know too much about it. It's quite old, but is sharp, fast and witty. Haruhi is pretty much an icon of anime. What distinguishes it from other rom-coms is the fast dialogue, the odd supernatural setting the characters are in (I really don't know) and Haruhi's personality - exhausting.

Other rom-coms that seem good
    Try Toradora - generally good with GIF(able) moments and apparently plenty of feels
    Charlotte - Ditto ^
    Clannad and Clannad After Story - said to be incredibly sad

Nichijou

This is something of a cult classic. It's premise is about 'ordinary' everyday life. Nothing much seems to happen (haven't watched it yet) but it has absurd and over the top animation for minor inconveniences.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/animegifs/s...restrict_sr=on

K-ON!
    Another that is a cult-classic and is beloved my the internets. It is like your stock standard high school setting, but with the harems, thunders, polis and romance themes removed for a sweet and simple slice of life about four high school girls in their light music club (thats what K-ON means)

​Girls und Panzer
    Take your standard high school girls, but stick them in tanks, where they fight other school in a competion. And yes, they drive T34s, Shermans, Crusaders, Panzers, Churchills and even First World War tanks.

Where to categorise these?

Kill la Kill
    Watamote - about a shut in, recluse
    Shogugeki no Soma - seems funny, over the top
    A Certain Magical Index
    Project Railgun - a side story of ACMI ^
    Guilty Crown - a whimsical first episode that is incredibly atmospheric, with a brilliant soundtrack (Basilieus, Krone, Bios).
    Seitokai Yakuindomo - hilarious lewd humour without the actual action
    High School DXD - Yes, ecchi with nudity. Yet what makes this different from all the others is its harems characters still have their own backstories and personalities. Plus the MC's reactions to kinky situations subverts what you'd expect from a harlequin romance.

This is where I've been getting most of my recommendations https://www.reddit.com/r/animegifs/?
    I mean for each reddit link to be where you see gifs.

If you want to get an overall view of a certain show, look up youtube AMVs on it, but be careful of spoilers.
    Last edited by ✠Ikaroqx✠; September 08, 2015 at 10:21 AM.
    Signature loading...

Quote Originally Posted by ✠Ikaroqx✠ View Post
    Oh hello my clone - aspiring writer too and I'm also expanding my genres to improve my writing.

Let Ikaroqx sensei help you (*squee* now I can tick off 'use sensei to refer to oneself' from my bucket list)

Right, so it annoys me that many people must get their anime from TV, which are mostly the mainstream shows intended for a younger audience (though they have many elements that appeal to all ages). Then when they're on channels like Toon Disney, CN and ABC Kids, no wonder society in general sees anime as childish.

I've put reddit links to gifs, which I'd highly recommend you read the comments to - you'll see what people like about them.

I'd recommend you watch them in Japanese with English subtitles, as the pronunciation of names is actually correct (Kakashi, not Ka-kar-shi), personally some words sound more badass (sekai vs world, Kerezou vs look out, shinra tense vs almighty push), and English voice actors often sound too strained, like the voice they are putting on is difficult (Naruto's English VA especially), and IMO Japanese has a slicker, more refined sound when delivered by quiet or serious characters. Plus hearing 'katon goryou no jutsu' sounds less childish than 'fire style: great fireball jutsu'. It could be taken as a spell rather than just shouting what you're about to do ('thanks for that' would think any competent opponent)

Mature series

Baccano!
    First the setting: 1930's New York. Set on a train in a noir, gangster like feel. It's about several unrelated plots that intersect and overlap as events spiral more and more out of control. 'Immortal alchemists, mafia operated speakeasies and many other elements of pulp fiction mash together'

Code Geass
    Themes of betrayal (I think) and the corruption of power. Fast, clever writing and strong plot. Said to have a very satisfying ending. Seems to subvert the overused superpowers trope. It's got an odd, quirky feel to ita - after all it's about a magic eye and giant robot battles with exaggerated clothing and facial styles - but that only adds to its uniqueness and appeal.

Death Note
    Fast and intelligent. The competition isn't between two super beings blasting magic at each other, but two geniuses trying to find the other, without knowing anything about each other. It's presented a lot of moral questions - is it alright to kill people who you see as the scum of society, to improve the world? Can be very tense.

Darker than Black
    One where the protagonist and his lady friend aren't teenagers! It's intended audience would probably be around adults as it's premise is more obscure and it will leave you behind if you don't concentrate. Unlike *cough* Naruto which shove every feeling and memory down your throat as though you're a goldfish. Plus erm... Mask Guy looks awesome.

Elfen Lied
    Horror, gore and nudity. That's enough to justify it as not for kids, right? I can't remember much, but it is still excellent.

Kekai Sensen
    New York City setting! +1 bonus point already. A sort of different outlook overall on magic and monsters. Fast plot.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/animegifs/s..._sr=on&t=allAn

Deadman Wonderland
    A dystopian futuristic setting in a death games, horror-esque arena that is marketed as a theme park.

Garden of Sinners
    Is where my avatar is from. Her mystic eyes of death perception are in some opinions the most powerful anime magic eyes.

Mirai Nikki
    Is the same premise as Battle Royale - a fight to the death where the winner becomes God. It's wacky and intense - especially Gasai Yuno, who is the goddess of yanderes everywhere. She makes overly attached girlfriend look like Fluttershy. The action keeps ploughing on, there's a ton of blood in over the top fights and situations. The cast are also interesting - dangerous people who are the dregs of society.

Others
    Btooom
    Garden of Words
    Kill la Kill
    Watamote - about a shut in, recluse
    Shimonenta no Soma
    Ergo Proxy
    Black Lagoon - guns, military, badass MC chick
    Claymore - magic, swords, monsters
    Another - generally regarded as one of the best horror anime. That's all I know about it

Shounen

You probably already know, but Shounen series are usually mean long running, action and themes of friendship, family, teamwork and persistence. While Naruto, One Piece, Bleach and DBZ are subjective amongst older audiences, there are other shounen series that are regarded more highly.

Tokyo Ghoul
    Does this belong here or in the other section? Well whatever. It's becoming mainstream but that doesn't remove its quality. Yes it has virtually no plot, but that's intentional, the plot is its character development. One of its themes of prejudices is done well by showing two sides who see the only way they can survive is by destroying the other. You get an outlook on both sides and characters who seem like scum can later come across as sympathetic. Great action and some beautiful animation.

Full Metal Alchemist and Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
    The first is the original, BH the relaunch (forgotten the word). Try both, or so I've been told. Unlike lots of anime that take place in either a modern setting or feudal Japan, this one is in early 20th century Europe. It's magic system, alchemy, is both more realistic and interesting that 'massive super beam blast!' and I've heard it's without much the filler fluff of Naruto and Bleach. The characters are also well developed and they go through plenty of struggles and suffering.

Hunter x Hunter
    (2011)
    I know nothing about this, except that it's also considered one of the better shounen series.

Gintama
    Is another 200+ long series, but it seems to be absolute worth it. It covers nearly ever genre and theme (there is seriously nothing Gintama won't touch) - one arc might be an intense and emotional fight, the other a parody of Naruto.

Parodies and references are what it's most famous for. The show intentionally and unapologetically parodies pretty much everything and also anime tropes. One of the best I found recently is this - http://gfycat.com/ChillyCourteousIchidna

It often breaks the 4th wall - when the animation studio ran out of budget, the characters had sleep paralysis. In a filler they commented on techniques to avoid animes catching up to their mangas. In another the MC froze time and rewrote action text (in midair) so it's impact didn't hit someone.

Words cannot describe how stupidly awesome it seems.
    http://imgur.com/a/lg33S

Fairy Tail
    Wait people. Yes, I know. It's mainstream. It's stupid and it's fanservicy, but Princess Cadance doesn't have it on his/ her? list. It should be said in the same breath as Naruto, OP, Bleach, etc - mainstream, shounen, action and subjectively overrated. Personally I find it great because it was the first anime I watched, and don't we all have our nostalgic series? If you want non-repetitive plots or strong characters, then it isn't really for you, but it does have great comedy, entertainment, fantastic music and plenty of feels.

Slice of Life and Romance

First, a lesson in high school rom-com settings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXaLo1huGZ0

Angel Beats
    Standard high school setting, but with supernatural themes, fighting, magic and deaths. Is said to be very moving and emotional.

Nisekoi
    If you can find chapter 0, go ahead. It's not part of the print manga so I suspect it was a teaser before the actual thing started. What happens in it isn't quite like the rest (character design changes and and an overall different approach).

It's one of many, many rom-coms. There are tons of them in anime and this is another. What I find appealing about it, and I hope others do too, is it's humour. It's absolutely hilarious - the manga (there's an anime adaption, no idea what it's like) is generally awesome in its humour, depiction of absurd reactions and stupid, random sequence of events. Disappointingy though, its premise of a slapstick comedy of pretend lovers has gradually devolved into just another 'will they or won't they' and 'who will it be?' between the main character and his various female friends. Sigh. I'm holding out for the introduction of a desperately needed third male main character.

Before anyone says anything, yes I know the romance is weak and lots of its potential was wasted. I like it for other reasons.

Really only recommending it because chapter 0 deserves to be read, then you can forget it (although some arcs like the play and marathon were great)

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumia
    Just started this, so I don't know too much about it. It's quite old, but is sharp, fast and witty. Haruhi is pretty much an icon of anime. What distinguishes it from other rom-coms is the fast dialogue, the odd supernatural setting the characters are in (I really don't know) and Haruhi's personality - exhausting.

Other rom-coms that seem good
    Try Toradora - generally good with GIF(able) moments and apparently plenty of feels
    Charlotte - Ditto ^
    Clannad and Clannad After Story - said to be incredibly sad

Nichijou

This is something of a cult classic. It's premise is about 'ordinary' everyday life. Nothing much seems to happen (haven't watched it yet) but it has absurd and over the top animation for minor inconveniences.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/animegifs/s...restrict_sr=on

K-ON!
    Another that is a cult-classic and is beloved my the internets. It is like your stock standard high school setting, but with the harems, thunders, polis and romance themes removed for a sweet and simple slice of life about four high school girls in their light music club (thats what K-ON means)

​Girls und Panzer
    Take your standard high school girls, but stick them in tanks, where they fight other school in a competion. And yes, they drive T34s, Shermans, Crusaders, Panzers, Churchills and even First World War tanks.

Where to categorise these?

A Certain Magical Index
    Project Railgun - a side story of ACMI ^
    Guilty Crown - a whimsical first episode that is incredibly atmospheric, with a brilliant soundtrack (Basilieus, Krone, Bios).
    Seitokai Yakuindomo - hilarious lewd humour without the actual action
    High School DXD - Yes, ecchi with nudity. Yet what makes this different from all the others is its harems characters still have their own backstories and personalities. Plus the MC's reactions to kinky situations subverts what you'd expect from a harlequin romance.

This is where I've been getting most of my recommendations https://www.reddit.com/r/animegifs/?

If you want to get an overall view of a certain show, look up youtube AMVs on it, but be careful of spoilers.
    I am completely puzzled by the fact that you put KLK in mature, shimoneta too, and Watamote.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze470 View Post
    I am completely puzzled by the fact that you put KLK in mature, shimoneta too, and Watamote.
    My ignorance is revealed :facepalm: moved them
    Signature loading...

I am completely puzzled you used reddit

IMO it's a good way to find gifs and find general views on shows.
    Signature loading...

We need to convert him to /a/, although he may want to go MAL first.