View Poll Results: Develop in Public or Private?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Public Development

18 54.55%
  • Private Development

15 45.45%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Should we make RTR a community mod again or keep development Private?

Icon3 Poll: Should we make RTR a community mod again or keep development Private?

Hello everyone,

We have begun to mod RTR again after a hiatus in which we all needed a break. However, now with R2 and Atilla out, the RTW community is dwindling. The RTR forums are no longer active and it seems as if that developing in private almost hurts our chances of being successful.

My idea is that if we make development public like it was in the old days, that a lot more people would take notice and be willing to help. It would be a community mod and I hope it would serve as a rallying cry to not leave the RTW engine as there is still so much fun that it can produce.

Currently we are making progress on a mod from scratch. I won't give any details since there has been no decision yet but it's going well.

Anyways, place your votes. I'll keep this poll open for a week.

Hope all is well with all of you!

~ahowl11

Default Re: Poll: Should we make RTR a community mod again or keep development Private?

I think we should make it a community based mod again. It did really well early on when the community involved, got a lot of attention and even attracted new people to the team, Make it open to the masses I say.

Default Re: Poll: Should we make RTR a community mod again or keep development Private?

Got asked to vote, so I did.

Voted for private. If there's one thing you don't need more of, it's opinions. If it's one thing you'll get from public work, it's opinions. Lots and lots of opinions...

Remlap's Avatar Lag Slayer

Ahowl also asked me to stop by and vote, my only real two cents on it is that the more open you get the more it can turn into pandering instead of making a better project. Like Pat said, everyone has idea's and opinions they are dime a dozen. You run into problems when people get a platform to present their ideas no matter how ridiculous and they have an audience to rally around them.

This isn't to say you shouldn't be open about progress or various things you work on. But they should only be presented when they are a finished product (don't promise what you can't keep).

Also take what I say with a grain of salt as I left modding a while ago and moved onto the indie world.
    Last edited by Remlap; May 11, 2015 at 02:16 PM.

Pat89 and Remlap make very good points, perhaps prioritization is in order, decide what to have the public involved in that wont stall development with argument and keep other aspects underwraps.

Voted for private development. I'd explain myself, but Pat and Remlap pretty much explained it the best way possible, and I wholeheartedly agree with them
    Rome Total Realism Project Dev Team Member and Head of Public Relations
    RTR VII Beta Tester/Dev Team Member
    "Coasting through the intermission that separates day from day, I find myself feeling oddly at peace with reality. Despite everything, I think life will workout in the end. The world, as as I see it is a remarkable place." - DukeCanada, the interstellar wanderer.
    Proud patron of Aule_the_creator

Have to agree with Pat and the others about opinions.
    Semi-Retired RTR Developer and Researcher
    Dont get into a fight if there is nothing to win

The vote is tied so far. This is going to be a tough call. I do think we need to be a lot more public but I also understand the chaos that could ensue.

David128's Avatar Laetus

If I could throw my two cents in for a moment, by keeping the mod quiet and in private it's hard for new people to rtr to know if any work's even being done on it. By being at least partially public you can at least garner more awareness that rtr is still an active, you never know who might drop in to help.

Quote Originally Posted by ahowl11 View Post
    The vote is tied so far. This is going to be a tough call. I do think we need to be a lot more public but I also understand the chaos that could ensue.
    Well, the people voting against public are mostly not on the team anymore, so - as Rem said - it's up to you guys how much you value our votes.

Quote Originally Posted by David128 View Post
    If I could throw my two cents in for a moment, by keeping the mod quiet and in private it's hard for new people to rtr to know if any work's even being done on it. By being at least partially public you can at least garner more awareness that rtr is still an active, you never know who might drop in to help.
    As b257 pointed out, you can throw them a bone like "hey how about this helmet for this dude" and there will be lots of discussion about whether the feathers on top should be pink or magenta. They will know that the mod is alive and they will think they have something to say, but really you guys just get to draw your own plan about more important matters. You don't need to have them be involved for them to know the project is alive. If anything, RTR VII was completely locked from the outside world, but I don't think there were many people who thought it was dead.

And frankly, even if they do, who cares? EB is a good example in my opinion of how successful a mod can be that barely ever shows any sign of life.

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

I do not think that going public is the only option how to attract followers and potencial contributors. I would dare to say that much more important in the way to achieve this goal is to have a vision how you want your mod to be, what you want to have in and what you do not want, and be committed to this vision. I would go even further and say that this attitude is behind the success of the mods like RTR VII and Europa Barbarorum. Nobody in RTR cared about the fact that lot of people did not like the zoomed in map aproach same way as nobody in EB carres that lot of people would like to see lorica segmentata legianaries in the mod. You simply can not satisfy everyone. What is important to not loose motivation is satisfy your vision about the mod and the vision of the other people working on it (ofcourse this vision has to be compactible otherwise the whole think will not work and team will disintegrate).

In my opinion, much more important than share everything publicly is to motivate people, to show them what is the vision you want to achieve and to show them you have the plan to achieve it (and from time to time throw out some unit/feature preview or two to keep people hooked). When the people will have hope and "taste" to the mod they will come themselves to help. Just do not primise sensation as the people which are still folowing this sections of the forum have seen laready many mods rise and fall so I guess that they are rather sceptical to sensations but still eager to see quality product being relased.

Getting back on topic I am not going to vote in this pool as I do not feel having any competence nor interest to decide on it. To be honest I do not even know whats are the features which are going to make this mod so unique and different from others. I even do not feel the clear concept behind whole mod which I can feel beside the other things from the fact that you do not even know whether you want to make development of your mod public or not. Therfore my conclusion take your time to make concept what you want to do and how you want to do, decide on main selling points of the mod and on the way how you are going to complete it. When you have this clear make an anouncement about what you came up with and if the concept is attractive people will rally to your cause whether the mod will be developed public or not.

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

I just hope I did not sound too harsh. I overstated the whole thing a bit just in order to make my point more clear.

I voted for a project i am not part of but i hold dearly in my heart.So you may not take my vote under consideration.
    I voted for public because i faced many similar dilemmas in the mod team i had the honour to initiate.
    Although i could claim leadership i did not.in fact i asked for an open democracy.We all got voices and we all vote or participate in the decisions.Yes to have democracy is difficult but democracy does not mean anarhy.Opinions never hurt if someone has "the bee" approach on them.
    So as we were told in school the bee flies from flower to flower only to gather what is nutrient.Who decides what is nutrient? i think the core of the active team.
    In any case i dont think opinions are the problem.They way you handle them is.And to just close my remark i want to say that there are two poisons and traps in each path.
    In the path of publicity the trap is vanity.The need to be liked and desired.
    The trap of isolation path is ego.The idea that only you can think correctly.
    I hope for a wise decision i have immence respect for your work.Cheers

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Voted. Remlap said all that needs to be said.

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

Voted. I would prefer for the public and general community to be shown the development if possible.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

I believe Remap is correct. I voted because I was asked to. Having had a 'fair' bit of experience here, I just don't think that a fully public mod is the way to go. You'll get a lot of opinions and ideas...and little help.
    That may sound pessimistic, but it's the reality of modding.

There's nothing wrong, of course, with asking for ideas and opinions.....but you should always quantify the request with the idea that everything is considered, but not all is accepted and implemented.
    But whatever the RTR team does.....you have the full support of RS2 and our resources. That goes pretty much for any RTW mod.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Can I change my vote to private? After browsing the Fall of the Eagle subforum on Attila I can now see the horrors of making development public. But I will say, despite Rome being old a unit reveal or update every so often does keep me interested.

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

I have voted for private development, but I also find Phalangitis' view important and agree that PR is important. Every faction and a lot of features can be previewed to keep the public interested and maybe for minor things one can ask the public for their opinion, but not all the time.
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

kepper's Avatar Artifex

I vote public
    <iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...get/video.html" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"> </iframe>

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

I voted for private. The public can have an opinion after a beta or so. Before that, the mod is an infant. Infants need to be protected. Leadership is needed. Too many opinions will choke the whole thing. No democracy in creation! Check my icon if you don't believe me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast