Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Old Previews [Archive]

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Default Re: Unit Preview [with many screenshots]

North African Tribes
    tribal camel cavalry - Tiq-billin weara as-masearw
    Camels? In 1500 BC? In north Africa? Come on guys, you can do better.

Dontfearme22's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by LinusLinothorax View Post
    Camels? In 1500 BC? In north Africa? Come on guys, you can do better.
    The mod timeperiod is 1500-1000 BC, units in a roster represent the spread of that cultures military roughly during that timeperiod, i agree 1500 BC is a no, but 1000 BC?

A lot of stuff is also older, so keep that in mind.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Dontfearme22 View Post
    i agree 1500 BC is a no, but 1000 BC?
    Even 1000 BC would be over 1000 years too early, as the camel wasnt introduced into Africa until the first centuries AD:

https://books.google.de/books?id=Ka9...ention&f=false

Quote Originally Posted by LinusLinothorax View Post
    Even 1000 BC would be over 1000 years too early, as the camel wasnt introduced into Africa until the first centuries AD:

https://books.google.de/books?id=Ka9...ention&f=false
    Ahhhhhh, I see the issue you have. Yes your date is correct, I was referring to camel domestication on the whole, I didnt see you were specifying north africa. That roster specifically is a older one thats just names....the new one I made a short while ago has no cavalry of any kind, camel or horse. I would just disregard any roster information thats just names, its so long ago its no longer remotely pertinent to the mod. Sloppy maintenance of the preview section on our part.
    Last edited by Dontfearme22; February 12, 2015 at 07:02 PM.

PhilipO'Hayda's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Türkenlouis View Post
    So here is the new update of the irish tribes (Fomorians)

-I choosed for the elite units ancient Fomoire names of the irish mythology.
    - mew natural leather armor from Dontfearme which I put it on some tunics
    - included more unit variants

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

light

wild mens (Spear)
    fear fiáin (sleá)

in action against some proto germanic reservistes

wild mens (sling)
    fear fiáin (casadh)

Fomoire Clubmen
    Fomoire Bata Trodai

Medium

Fomoire Warband (dagger,staff dagger,swords,axe)

Fomoire Spearmen

Fomoire Skirmisher

Heavy and Elite

Buarainech`s Spearmen

Balor`s Warband (the big clubs are Placeholder for some twohanded Staff daggers)

Cichol`s Guardsmen

If someone could translate those units in old gaelic I will include it. I know gaelic is an ancient celtic speach, but we really knew nothing about irish bronzeage speach
    Jesus the Irish look so good in this game

Irish Historical adviser for Albion:Total war

PunitorMaximus's Avatar TWTEAW Mod Leader

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipO'Hayda View Post
    Jesus the Irish look so good in this game
    This was an alpha version of the irish, some new irish pictures were in the Christmas preview

The link to the total preview

http://imgur.com/a/7WWWK#0

Himster's Avatar Praeses

This was an alpha version of the irish, some new irish pictures were in the Christmas preview
    Can two factions be programmed into the one settlement? Maybe the Tuatha De Dannan could be like rebels and then if unrest gets too high for them the Fomoire rise up and so on? The eternal war between the sons of Neit.
    That'd be amazing.

Also naval units? The etymology of the Fomoire seems to indicate a strong connection to the sea, perhaps even piracy: This isn't much to go on....... but:
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    Can two factions be programmed into the one settlement? Maybe the Tuatha De Dannan could be like rebels and then if unrest gets too high for them the Fomoire rise up and so on? The eternal war between the sons of Neit.
    That'd be amazing.

Also naval units? The etymology of the Fomoire seems to indicate a strong connection to the sea, perhaps even piracy: This isn't much to go on....... but:
    Naval warfare was certainly a bronze age reality(the first large scale amphibious battles ever were in the LBA, and Nordic Bronze Age carvings depict fleets of dozens of ships)....but ship models are very difficult to create, so they are a very distant priority. Also, and Turkenlouis might like to chime in on this as well, the entire "Irish Mythological Cycle" and especially the Lebor Gabála Érenn, which is what mentions most prominently the Tuatha Di Danaan and the sons of Neit is a Medieval Irish compilation. While it is a very interesting compilation of literature and a unique piece of human heritage, its not in any way pertinent to Bronze Age Ireland, if we included the Tuatha Di Danaan in their mythological form, what stops us from adding the Trojan Giants of Britain or any other plethora of medieval pseudo-historical figures? It would compromise historical accuracy just far too much.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Naval warfare was certainly a bronze age reality(the first large scale amphibious battles ever were in the LBA, and Nordic Bronze Age carvings depict fleets of dozens of ships)....but ship models are very difficult to create, so they are a very distant priority.

Understood.

Also, and Turkenlouis might like to chime in on this as well, the entire "Irish Mythological Cycle" and especially the Lebor Gabála Érenn, which is what mentions most prominently the Tuatha Di Danaan and the sons of Neit is a Medieval Irish compilation. While it is a very interesting compilation of literature and a unique piece of human heritage, its not in any way pertinent to Bronze Age Ireland, if we included the Tuatha Di Danaan in their mythological form, what stops us from adding the Trojan Giants of Britain or any other plethora of medieval pseudo-historical figures? It would compromise historical accuracy just far too much.
    Well limitations are obviously required, like using the Old Testament/Iliad as a source, except the Lebor Gabala Erenn is further de-legitimized due to the additional thousand years of oral tradition which increases the likelihood of embellishment, there is still some value. Even just for working names used to represent competing cultures/ethnicities which certainly happened, as Fomorian names are being used I thought having a fleshed out rebel faction might be relatively easy while adding a great deal of depth, in terms of game play, but also getting peoples' interests raised concerning the bronze age which is more heavily dependent on interpreting folklore relative to most other periods.
    It was just a thought.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    Understood.

Well limitations are obviously required, like using the Old Testament/Iliad as a source, except the Lebor Gabala Erenn is further de-legitimized due to the additional thousand years of oral tradition which increases the likelihood of embellishment, there is still some value. Even just for working names used to represent competing cultures/ethnicities which certainly happened, as Fomorian names are being used I thought having a fleshed out rebel faction might be relatively easy while adding a great deal of depth, in terms of game play, but also getting peoples' interests raised concerning the bronze age which is more heavily dependent on interpreting folklore relative to most other periods.
    It was just a thought.

I don`t know really much about the irish mythology. Also the ,,speech" of the bronze age people in Europe is lost.
    In every legend lies a little truth.
    For the Fomorian units an old Speech of Ireland would be nice, it would be much better than celtic which is also not in the time frame.
    So if you could translate unit names in to old Irish Gaelic I would be very glad.

I don`t know really much about the irish mythology. Also the ,,speech" of the bronze age people in Europe is lost.
    For the Fomorian units an old Speech of Ireland would be nice, it would be much better than celtic which is also not in the time frame.
    So if you could translate unit names in to old Irish Gaelic I would be very glad.
    It is true in every legend lies a little truth, the question is...what and where is that truth? If its not visible or usable than its really not useful.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

While I did study calligraphy in school and college, which included old Irish and Latin (from the dark ages, which we ironically call Ireland's golden age), I never actually learned its meaning. As for modern Irish I only got a C2 I think.
    No matter how far back we go, whatever words we use, can only be corrupted versions, using modern anglicized versions only means they're a bit more corrupted.
    An apple that is 40% rotten is still a rotten apple, not so different from an 80% rotten apple.

It is true in every legend lies a little truth, the question is...what and where is that truth? If its not visible or usable than its really not useful.
    Yup, but the same can be said about all legends, that doesn't stop us from using them from time to time.
    There's no shortage of names in Irish mythology, nor is there a shortage of objects belonging to said mythological peoples. The names may have become corrupted, their deeds embellished and their objects corroded, but they're there.
    -Betrand Russell

Default Old Previews [Archive]

All older previews will be stored here.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345