Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Old Previews [Archive]

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: Unit Preview [with many screenshots]

Nice preview I am waiting for this mod

I've seen some stuff that could use some more touch. I think one of the light units of infantry was using Phrygian helmet and I am not sure about bronze age cataphracts Andronovo was propably most famous for their use of chariots, but I am no expert in this case so if any source provided I would be glad Always thought that Assyria was main cavalry power of those times, but this mod covers more then just Middle East

Last edited by KAM 2150; May 14, 2014 at 06:42 PM.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Dontfearme22's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    Nice preview I am waiting for this mod

I've seen some stuff that could use some more touch. I think one of the light units of infantry was using Phrygian helmet and I am not sure about bronze age cataphracts Andronovo was propably most famous for their use of chariots, but I am no expert in this case so if any source provided I would be glad Always thought that Assyria was main cavalry power of those times, but this mod covers more then just Middle East

Believe me I know almost more than anyone how much we have to revamp and rework and touch-up, but also you have to remember that we sometimes use 'placeholder' models(such as that Phrygian helmet) until we have a appropriate historical version, that's for example why the Mycenaean's have dacian spangenhelms, not a lack of historical understanding on our part. Our entire team is very committed to maximum historical accuracy and I know that I hold myself up to rigorous historical standards. On the topic of bronze age cataphracts its one of the units that's more 'out there' as historical accuracy goes, but if you want you can PM me and ill fully explain my reasoning(that roster is also going to be updated more than almost any other due to the amount of re-textures and rework required.) I personally love the Andronovo culture, and by the time this mod is finished rest assured they will look the part.
    On the topic of Assyria, they did not use cavalry for any meaningful military purpose outside of messaging and scouting until the iron age. This mod has the ambitious goal of being both the most comprehensive and accurate bronze age mod to date for any total war game(and probably any strategy game)but it will take time to get there, and all we ask is your patience, your support and your trust that we are as committed to accuracy as you are.

Patrician

Like what I said, I am no expert of that period Just never seen cataphract-like units of this period so far As for the phrygian helmet, that was my assumption that it is just a placeholder, actually all guys in that unit had new stuff, only that one dude was wearing it I also admire how much has to be put into mod like this, since there is not much sources that can easly point us Unita A, Unit B etc. I am a fellow modder and I've helped with few total convesions of MTW2 for polish mod community, I understand how much time it takes and how hard work it is. I wish that I only had more free time to once again jump into this tough, yet rewarding modding world.

Like what I said, I am no expert of that period Just never seen cataphract-like units of this period so far As for the phrygian helmet, that was my assumption that it is just a placeholder, actually all guys in that unit had new stuff, only that one dude was wearing it I also admire how much has to be put into mod like this, since there is not much sources that can easly point us Unita A, Unit B etc. I am a fellow modder and I've helped with few total convesions of MTW2 for polish mod community, I understand how much time it takes and how hard work it is. I wish that I only had more free time to once again jump into this tough, yet rewarding modding world.
    OK, just clarifying. There are a lot of sources on the timeperiod, they arent just as openly visible as stuff on the classical period.

for the phrygian cap we want to implent the

cap which was found in guldhoj denmark 1380 BC

this bronze rider was discovered in georgia and was dated in the late bronze age.

the phyrgian cap was first mentioned by Homer, Homer also written about the trojan wars, so if it is possible or not , that this cap was worn or not before the phyrgians is a speculation thing!

Patrician

Here is the guy I was writing about Levy sword unit, but that guys phrygian helmet looks pretty "modern" and elite ;D Of course what I write here is not any sort of nagging, just my own curiosity, there is always something new to learn and this period was not properly covered even during my ancient history lectures at University of Gdańsk.

oh^^ this helmet is just a prototype, later it will be changed to the left one in this picture

Patrician

Cool, looks good Like I wrote earlier, it was my assumption that helmet worn by soldier I was talking about was propably just a placeholder

PunitorMaximus's Avatar TWTEAW Mod Leader

Cool, looks good Like I wrote earlier, it was my assumption that helmet worn by soldier I was talking about was propably just a placeholder
    best signature ever!

and yup, if something isnt historically correct it's most probably a placeholder.
    feel free to ask though!

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Howdy, I don't come here often but I was just lookin, and noticed something... shouldn't Achaioi be with a 'k', not a 'c'?

It's great to see such a bold mod idea developing, can't wait to see the finished product
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

Brivime's Avatar Ordinarius

Yeah I believe when transliterating the older Greek dialects we should be using KH in place of CH.

It doesn't really make a difference it just looks more archaic I guess, then again I don't know anything about Greek.

just some screenshots of pre alpha units

today some irish warriors
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

PunitorMaximus's Avatar TWTEAW Mod Leader

again: Daaaayyyyum!

TODAY some proto illyria/western Balkan tribes alpha screenshots

Light units

pr. illyrian axes and clubs

pr illyrian spear levies

pr. illyrian skirmisher

pr. illyrian slingers

medium/medium special units

pr illyrian warband

pr illyrian medium spears

pr illyrian Bowmen

pr. illyrian land raiders

pr. illyrian seapirates

heavy/Elite

pr illyrian veteran Spearmen

pr. illyrian chieftain

the crested helmet is based on an ancient paleo ventian helmet

Last edited by Türkenlouis; June 25, 2014 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Türkenlouis View Post
    TODAY some proto illyria/western Balkan tribes alpha screenshots

Light units

pr. illyrian axes and clubs

pr illyrian spear levies

pr. illyrian skirmisher

pr. illyrian slingers

medium/medium special units

pr illyrian warband

pr illyrian medium spears

pr illyrian Bowmen

pr. illyrian land raiders

pr. illyrian seapirates

heavy/Elite

pr illyrian veteran Spearmen

pr. illyrian chieftain

the crested helmet is based on an ancient paleo ventian helmet

Really,really nice, if I can ask. What historical sources did you use for the leather scale armor with the fringe and the eastern pattern on the shield? or are those both placeholders?

-BTW-, can you PM me those units, I would love to take some East vs. West screenshots

the leather scale armor is an rebuild of an bronze scale armor. bronze was a rare material in Europe, the Urnfielders and the tribes on the Adria traded with the myceneans. They know about the armor types and build the Glockenpanzer and the Kammhelm like the myceneans.

the shield patterns are a copy from Urnfield ceramics in Austria and Hungary

yeah I will send you a copy

Quote Originally Posted by Türkenlouis View Post
    the leather scale armor is an rebuild of an bronze scale armor. bronze was a rare material in Europe, the Urnfielders and the tribes on the Adria traded with the myceneans. They know about the armor types and build the Glockenpanzer and the Kammhelm like the myceneans.

the shield patterns are a copy from Urnfield ceramics in Austria and Hungary

yeah I will send you a copy
    Understood, in your opinion of all the Balkan cultures which ones were most similar to the mycenaeans? Also, how do you know that the pot designs are good for the shield patterns, because then that would largely increase the number of shields patterns I could add to units. I can also make a better pattern for your units than the vanilla eastern pattern, if you want.

dowdpride's Avatar Decanus

Those units look absolutely amazing, I cant wait. The thing I am curious about is their abilities though. They look quite a bit better than a lot of African and African units, so how is that going to be balanced?

Quote Originally Posted by dowdpride View Post
    Those units look absolutely amazing, I cant wait. The thing I am curious about is their abilities though. They look quite a bit better than a lot of African and African units, so how is that going to be balanced?
    Unlike in the classical period where more barbaric armies could take on hellenistic and more advanced armies pretty effectively, in the Bronze Age there was a lot of inequality amongst societies, some African tribes were still using stone weapons in this time-period. It is realistic that a less advanced army, lets go with a Libyan army for example, couldnt defeat a equivalently sized Egyptian or Babylonian army in open battle. The only way less advanced factions will be able to compete with the big shots will be with superior numbers, most often through amassing tribal confederations, and guerilla warfare, which is what they did in reality. We also are going to spend a lot of time preparing for open release by making sure units are appropriately balanced so its both a realistic and fun gameplay experience.

I hope I answered your question.

dowdpride's Avatar Decanus

Oh i certainly know about the inequalites between peoples in the bronze age, i was just wondering how it is to be balanced for fun play.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast