Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Great Sept of Baelor

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

Default The Great Sept of Baelor

The Great Sept of Baelor

The Great Sept of Baelor is named after the Septon King Baelor the Blessed. It is located at the top of Visenya's hill, surrounded by a white marble plaza. It features a statue of Baelor, which stands tall and serene upon his plinth; his face is a study of benevolence. Large gardens, capable of holding hundreds surround the sept.

The sept itself is an impressive marble domed structure, It has seven crystal towers, each of which has bells. Only on momentous occasions, such as the death of a king, are all of them rung. There are several sets of doors leading into the Sept, septons use the Father's Doors, septas the Mother's Doors and silent sisters the Stranger's Doors. Around the doors leading into the building is a raised marble pulpit from which a septon can address a gathering crowd.

Past the doors is the entrance hall of the sept, which is known as the Hall of Lamps. Those entering the hall walk beneath suspended globes of colored leaded glass. Through the double-doors is the sept-proper, with seven broad aisles which meet beneath the dome of glass, gold, and crystal. Its floors made out of marble and great windows of leaded, colored glass, and the seven altars are set about with candles. Different altars are used for different ceremonies, depending on their purpose. For example, marriages are always conducted at the altar between two towering gilded statues of the Father and the Mother.

Below are tombs where kings are laid to rest, cells for penitents, and vaults that hold costly vestments, rings, crystal crowns, and other treasures of the Faith.

The High Septon
    The High Septon

Traits (10 points):
    Survival +2
    Assassin +2
    Counterspy +2
    Capture +1
    Charisma +3

Bio:
    The High Septon was always meant to join the Faith. As the youngest son of Lord Hayford from the Crownlands, few future prospects existed for the boy. At a young age, he was sent to King's Landing to become a septon. A diligent young man, he studied The Seven-Pointed Star and other holy texts until he knew them by memory. But he also learned how to hold sermons and give speeches, and how to gain the support of the crowd. Though the most important lesson was that not even the most sacred of places are incorruptible. The High Septon, the Most Devout and other septons and septas were in a constant political battle, where power and support were key to success and prominence. Even the young man found support in the shape of his lord father's sponsorship.

With that, he started to move up through the ranks at the Great Sept of Baelor. Eventually he sat as one of the Most Devout. When the High Septon passed away, the time came to elect a new one. The young septon made his move, bribing the other Most Devout until they elected him. As the High Septon, he began to secure his place within the gates of the great sept, which was around the same time that the Ironborn rose up in rebellion against the Iron Throne.

For four years now, the High Septon has been quiet concerning current events outside the walls of King's Landing. But with a relative good support from the Faith, the Great Sept of Baelor opens its door, prepared to help the many poor and helpless Faithful followers of the Seven. With the High Septon, the common folk and the Gods shall have a voice in the realm once more.

Upgrades
    Sept
    Small Sept

Upgrades
    Last edited by Jokern; May 16, 2015 at 10:31 AM.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Default Re: The Great Sept of Baelor

A small procession approached the Great Sept of Baelor. The procession contained members of the Kingsguard, led by Ser Guyard Frey, with persons from the Small Council who were led by Stannis Baratheon. Both parties were led by the King himself, Ormund of the House Baratheon. The procession was protecting and carrying a wooden casket with a brilliant black-dyed cloth over it. On top of the cloth was a single band of gold, a crown known by many who knew of its wearers Aegon III and Aegon V. With the discoveries of Summerhall, a visit to the Great Sept was to be expected. Especially with the finding of Aegon V, the great-grandfather of Renly, Stannis and Ormund. Ormund approached the entry of the Great Sept and knocked loudly upon its large ornate doors. The King then steps back and waits for someone to answer.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

The large doors are slowly swung open and two septons dressed in black emerges from the sept and greets the king. Being told that his Holiness waits for them, the group is led into tye great sept, past the Hall of Lamps to the sept-proper. Under the watchful gaze of large gilded statues depcting the Seven, the High Septon welcomes the king and his court. The High Septon is dressed in a simple black robe like other septons, though he has also adorned himself with a rainbow scarf with hanging down to his feet, black seven-pointed stars at the ends. Atop his brow sits the most valued treasure of the Faith, the crystal crown. Behind the him stand seven silent sisters, each holding a bowl containing a sacred oil. The two septons who guided Ormund join five other septons and septas, holding copies of The Seven-Pointed Star or a thurible with burning incense. In the middle of the sept stands an altar.

The High Septon steps forward and maked a slight nod to Ormund Baratheon, as much as his crown allowed it. He gazes at the coffin with large, excited eyes. What joy to find a king once thought lost forever, he thought. Now Aegon the Unlikely will finally be put to rest in the tombs beside his forefathers. The Seven were great in their benevolence.

"Your grace, may the Seven bless you for the rest of your days. This discovery of a king once thought lost to the world will finally be granted his final rest. Thank you for bringing the remains of Aegon here where he belongs, next to the kings who came before and after. If you would please place the coffin on the altar so we can begin the proper rites before his final rest."

Citizen

Ormund glances back at those carrying the casket. The King gestures for them to move forward. The servants move the remains of Aegon V to the altar where the casket was place. The black cloth was kept upon it, hiding the remains of the Targaryen king from the eyes of those attending it. The Baratheon turns to the High Septon.

I had some priests clean the bones, flesh and clothing of any dirt and soot. We found a new robe for him within the Red Keep and aligned the body to fit it. All my great-grandfather needs is a small ceremony and cremation as in accordance with the traditions of House Targaryen.

"Of course, your grace. The silent sisters will then prepare the body with seven sacred oils while the septons and septas cant prayers and hymns. Baelor, blessed be his name, commissioned during the building of the sept an altar in the gardens where the casket can be placed and a fire lit to burn the remains, displayed for gods and men. As soon as we're done here, we'll move out through the Stranger's doors and cremate the body of the king. I will personally lead the prayer, and I hope that your grace that as closest kin would light the fire. Afterwards, the silent sisters will collect the ashes and the crown in an urn traditionally used by the Targaryens and take it to the crypts, where it will be placed in a tomb next to other late kings."

Citizen

Put Aegon V next to his father, Maekar. That is where his place should be in the crypt, Your Holiness.

Ormund bows his head to High Septon before gazing over at the Silent Sisters as they attended the body of Aegon V, or what remained of it, and began to prepare it for its ceremonial cremation.

The silent sisters began their work, taking their time with putting each oil on the body of Aegon, as the septons and septas walked in circles around the altar, reciting hymns to the Seven, spreading the incense through the room. The High Septon stood in silence, watching the rituals to see if any mistakes were made. The men and women of the Faith were exceptional, however, the oils being applied in the right order to the proper prayers. As they finished up, the crown was carefully placed on the brow of the skull before the casket was closed. As the men from the king's retinue picked it up and walked towards the Stranger's doors, a long procession with the High Septon and Ormund Baratheon followed in silence.

A large crowd had gathered in the garden before the altar, highborn and smallfolk alike trying get a look at the cremation of the Targaryen king. The Goldcloaks were there too though, keeping the masses back. The casket was carefully placed on the altar. The High Septon stepped forward, nodding to Ormund while he began his speech. A septon handed the king a torch.

"Men and women of the Seven Kingdoms, we have gathered here today to lay to rest a king who has suffered for long after the Tragedy of Summerhall: Aegon Targaryen, the Fifth of His Name, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm. Known as Aegon the Unlikely, it was never thought that the crown would go to him. Yet the Seven deemed it so, for reasons we of the mortal realm may never know. His reign may not have been that of Aegon the Conqueror or Jaehaerys the Conciliator, his benevolence and care for the smallfolk is known and praised by all. Yet his reforms were not welcomed by the lords of the time, and the more he pushed his reforms, the more he had to bow to his sworn bannermen. Yet from this we must learn what it means to be a lord, to be a king. For though a man may have much power, only the Seven in their glory stand above mortal men. The will of one man can bring peace and prosperity to his realm, yet it can also bring tyranny and conflict. As one realm under the gods, we must learn that we are all needed, no matter our rank, but we cannot forget our place in it. As a lord owes allegiance to his liege, he must also protect his subjects and listen to their qualms. As we lay to rest King Aegon V, may we remember both the good and bad times from the time Aegon the Conqueror landed where we stand today, to the reign of Ormund Baratheon, First of His Name, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm."

He clasped his hand together then opened them, gazing out over the crowd before looking up to the heavens.

"May the Father fairly judge our actions, may the Mother care for us, may the Warrior give us strength in perilous times, may the Maiden grant us virtue and grace, may the Smith make us dutiful and diligent, may the Crone shine her lantern on our paths and grant us wisdom and may the Stranger take us to the heavens."

Lady Joanna Lannister arrives to Great Sept and requests an audience with the High Septon.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Lady Joanna is allowed into the Hall of Lamps, but has to wait a few minutes. A septon tells her that his Holiness is currently in the middle of prayer. After a few minutes of waiting a septa arrives, carrying a necklace with a lantern hanging from it, requesting that Lady Lannister follow her. They walk up winding stairs to a room with a large oak door, with beautiful carvings depicting the Seven. Two septons in black stand silent outside, necklaces with a sword around their necks, holding staffs with iron seven-pointed stars adorning the tops. One of them knock on the door seven times before it's opened from the inside. The light from the sun outside shine through a painted glass in the roof, filling the room with the colors of the rainbow. The High Septon rises from behind his desk, smiling at his guest. The door is closed behind Lady Joanna, revealing a cloaked septon sitting behind it. The High Septon speaks with a warm voice.

"Lady Lannister, may the Seven in their glory bless your day. I hope that your journey here hasn't been too unpleasant, but with the radiating sun above us, I would suspect not. So, what has brought you here, my child?"

Lady Joanna wore sober clothes, plain and unadorned.

"Your holiness"

She bows humbly.

"My son is assaulted by heathens. The Holy Seven granted sovereignity to my House, the of Lann the Clever a believer of the Faith, unlike many other false heroes and idols. The Lannister's rule is blessed by heaven, and the Faith has benefited from our patronage, ever and ever again. We held the Ironborn away, and purged the Islands in an ocassion. Not a single sept is in disrepair, septons are fed and the Faith's belongings are respected and honores. We respect order, law, tradition, unity. Exactly, what the Faith defended, always"

Suddenly she started to weep. But she manages to look fairly composed few minutes after.

"But those rebels are disrupting tradition, peace, justice and religion. Doesn't the Seven Pointed Star says to respect the Order imposed by the Heavenly Powers above? To follow and to serve for the outcome will be a blissful existence on Heaven? However the rebels are destroying the order that has been intact for generations. Aren't they terrible beasts? What will they do if they can't respect hierarchy? Ally themselves with... heathens?"

She kneeled before the septon.

"Father, I'm but a widow, a mother. A pious woman, alone in this world with the sole company of my children. Holy Father, don't you see truth in my words? I need help for my House and my son. I beg you, your Holiness. Our gratitude would be boundless to the Faith, the Faith of my son, my own and my forefather's"

She humbly kissed the High Septon's shoe.

"Excommunicate the rebels, condenm their outrageous treeason! For treason is a sin. Your Holiness I beg you"

She waited the septon's answer, looking at him with hope and piety. Lady Joanna was a proud woman, a ruler. To beg help wasn't her style, but there she was, kneeling before his Holiness, her speech was sincere.

Citizen

A commotion begins to rise from the center area of the Great Sept. Word of yet another son, fathered by the King and born from his young Lannister Queen, is brought to the Great Sept and to the whole of King's Landing. Yet the commotion was not because of the second son being born, but what was happening. Priests knelt and wept joyfully before the statues of the Seven, for a miracle had happened. Upon the very hour of the child's birth, a young priest in training noticed a golden glitter come from the eyes of the Father. As the young boy approached, he noticed thin tears of gold streaming down the face of the Father. At first, the lad believed he was dreaming, but eventually he realized this was really happening. Soon the boy noticed that all of the Seven were weeping tears of gold, in order from the Father, to the Mother, to the Warrior, to the Maiden, to the Smith, to the Crone and finally to the Stranger. The boy rushed off and told everyone the miracle, praising it as a golden day for Westeros and the House Baratheon. The priests, kneeling before the statues, praised the Seven loudly and openly before the weeping statues for truly this prince, named Monfyrd Baratheon, was gifted and blessed by the Seven themselves.
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; May 18, 2015 at 10:46 AM.

The High Septon listened intently at Joanna Lannister as she spoke, staying silent and stroking his beard in thought. When she finished, he smiled and knelt too, helping her up. His friendly demeanor did not show the calculating mind curently at work, weighing the consequences of every word.

"Don't cry, my child, the Seven will only let justice prevail, for the Father Above watches and judges us all. Yet I cannot excommunicate Lord Crakehall and his rebels. The Seven created this world after a specific pattern which we cannot disturb, nor do we know if it will be the same after the Stranger grants us the final rest. Only They can know what the future entails. Change can also be part of their grand plan, no matter if we like or not. And I must protest against calling the rebels heathens. Have they desecrated holy ground and septs, denounced the Seven for those of the North or the evil Red God from across the narrow sea? None of this have reached my ears, and the Seven are always watchful. Had such transgressions occurred, I would not be idle in denouncing them. But, right now the fate of the Westerlands is in the hands of the gods."

He looks over at the septon sitting by the door. A giant of a man, under his black hood one can see his eyeglasses, specially made in Myr, his short blond hair and a scar across his cheek. The septon nods, rising, bringing forth ink and paper to the desk.

"However, you are correct in that House Lannister has always been generous and loyal to the Seven's faithful, my lady. Though the Faith's property is well-kept in the west, I cannot say the same for the rest of the realm. Especially the Reach's faithful has been hit hard by the recent civil war. 150,000 dragons would go a long way in helping those in need. Your offering would be greatly appreciated. Tonight I will consult the gods again, and we shall see what they have to tell me about the Westerlands. They always watch over their faithful."

"They are cruel and lofty men capable of the greatest misdeeds, father"

Lady Joanna grabs the quill and signs.

"When the year is due, the 295th year after Aegon landed, this sum will be brought to your Holiness: 150,000 dragons"

"The Seven will surely bless you and your family for this great deed. Be sure, my lady, that tomorrow will be a good day for us all."

The bells rang of the Great Sept of Baelor rang for an hour, the people of King's Landing gathering to see what the Faith had to say. On the steps leading up to the Father's Doors stood the septons of the Great Sept, forming a wall between the smallfolk and his Holiness. They wore robes in the colors of the rainbow, the crystals around their necks breaking the sunlight into just as many colors. Septas were walking in the crowd, handing out flowers, bread and coins to the faithful. The High Septon himself then stepped through the doors, greeting the city with arms stretched out into an embrace. He wore the crystal crown upon his head, his robe a white with golden embroidery on the sleeves and the neck. The long scarf he wore was in the seven colors of the rainbow, seven-pointed stars embroidered with silver thread along the piece. In his hand he held a staff, a seven-pointed star in silver shining brightly in the sun. He began to speak.

"Faithful men and women of the Seven Kingdoms, what a glorious day the Gods have given us today! Just as the sun shines over our heads, so too do the Seven guide us with their light. Peace and prosperity has once again been brought to the realm. Yet as one threat to the Gods' peace ends, so too does another arise. In the Westerlands, the rebellious Lord Roland Crakehall, along with Lord Harren Sarsfield and Lord Payne and all their vassals have have broken their oaths to Lord Jaime Lannister, Warden of the West! This act is an affront to the laws of gods and men! To take up arms against your liege is the vilest sort of oathbreaking, as decreed by the Seven, nothing short of kingslaying! Look at the Reach! Here the rebellious lords were swiftly put down, thanks to the intervention of Lord Renly Baratheon. With order restored once more, those who rebelled were granted the Mother's forgiveness for their sins."

The High Septon looked out over the crowd. They were the common people, their faith were much stronger than that of most lords and kings. Whatever the Faith decreed, they would follow it. That is what the High Septon had learnt during his studies. Men who had much less than others often turned to even higher powers for guidance. None stood above the Gods, not even the king. The High Septon kept his grim and serious face, his eyes watching the people so intently it felt like he saw and judged every heart in King's Landing.

"Are we to see the realm be brought to civil war once more? No, the Seven forbid it! Not after his Grace Ormund Baratheon tore down Aerys the Mad, who threatened to bring down the whole of the Seven Kingdoms into another bloody and ungodly reign of Maegor the Cruel, saving the good people of Westeros! Not after the Ironborn heathens were smashed by him once more after their failed rebellion! The Seven Kingdoms and the Gods demand peace! Therefore must the rebels, from the lords Crakehall, Sarsfield and Payne to the lowest knight put down their arms and surrender to Lord Lannister. The Seven are forgiving and just, and promises that jury of seven septons will judge their trial and make sure that the laws of gods and men are followed. If they do not comply with this, then they will with immediate effect be excommunicated from the Faith! This edict of the highest of authorities will not be changed until all those who have rebelled against Casterly Rock have knelt and asked for mercy and forgiveness from the Gods."

He waved his hand and the septons began to hand out flyers, each containing the same proclamation from the High Septon. Ravens could also be seen flying from the spires of the Great Sept of Baelor, carrying a letter sealed with the sigil of the Faith. All of Westeros would know the words the High Septon had spoken on that day.

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Lord Tommen Footly co es to the Sept to pray before his trial by combat. Once he is done, he leaves to fight for his life and his soul, in the eyes of gods and men.

Iron Aquilifer's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Lord Commander Guyard Frey made his way in to the Great Sept. Wearing a roughspun tunic and sandals, the man looked like any other commoner if not for the grey cloak of thick cloth. The white towers upon it marked him for the Whitetower. Entering with his head bowed and manner somber, Guyard quietly asked for a moment of the High Septon's time.

The High Septon met with the Whitetower in the sept proper, under the gaze of the gilded statues of the Seven. He wore a red cassock with a white sash tied around the waist, and a soft rounded hat. On a necklace was a seven-pointed star. He smiled at the lord commander.

"May the Seven be with you, lord commander. This is an unexpected meeting, but I'm always happy to receive the Gods' faithful. Are there sins you wish to confess, or would you like to discuss the philosophical dilemmas of the holy texts?"

Iron Aquilifer's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Jokern View Post
    The High Septon met with the Whitetower in the sept proper, under the gaze of the gilded statues of the Seven. He wore a red cassock with a white sash tied around the waist, and a soft rounded hat. On a necklace was a seven-pointed star. He smiled at the lord commander.

"May the Seven be with you, lord commander. This is an unexpected meeting, but I'm always happy to receive the Gods' faithful. Are there sins you wish to confess, or would you like to discuss the philosophical dilemmas of the holy texts?"
    If I were to confess my sins I would be here for a while, he said through a forced smile. Realising the mistake he had made, Guyard froze.

I have, questions, father, he managed after a pause. Before, he would have come seeking the guidance of the faith. Before he had not witnessed a strong king be refused by the Iron Throne.

Of kings and how the gods decide whom is worthy to be such.

The High Septon frowned, his head working the question. Looking up at each and every one of the Seven for a moment or two, he turned back to Guyard Frey.

"That is a question the faithful and the maesters have struggled with for quite some time. What is a worthy king? The Targaryen dynasty gives us quite a good number of both good and bad kings, so we can go over a few of them. First we had Aegon the Conqueror, a greatest king who ever lived. He had the strength of the Warrior, the just mind of the Father, the wisdom of the Crone and the diligence of the Smith. Despite his sinful marriages to his sisters, he incoporated many aspects of the Gods. His children did not, however. Aenys was kind to the smallfolk, but did not have the firm hand required to rule a realm who had known war for so long. And he angered the Gods with marrying his children to one another, bringing the wrath of the Faith Militant down upon him. But no matter his sins, Maegor the Cruel was much worse. Though he had the strength and determination to rule and get the lords of the realm in line, he did not have the Mother's kindness nor the mind for justice of the Father. Only fire and blood came from Maegor, and the Seven Kingdoms united against him."

He looked up at the statue of the Crone with her lantern.

"Jaehaerys the Conciliator did not need swords to bring peace and prosperity to a broken realm, only the rule of law. He was the Crone in the flesh, and his long rule made sure that his reforms would live on to this day. A man that can broker peace without the use of arms is a great one, but from time to time overlooked in favor of the warrior kings."

Then the High Septon turned to the Warrior.

"I think that many would argue that a great king must be a great commander and knight, but war is not always the way. Daemon Blackfyre is said to have been like the Warrior himself on the battlefield, yet he failed to claim the Iron Throne from his half-brother Daeron, and Daeron united all of Westeros through his marriage to Myriah Martell."

The High Septon turned back to the lord commander.

"In the end, I cannot answer what the Seven deems a worthy king to be, since we have suffered both good and bad kings, from Aegon the Conqueror to Aegon the Unworthy. Should a king be a great warrior, a master diplomat, or both? We have no idea what the Gods have planned for us, but I think that every king is given to us for a reason, even those who we think should not have been given the right to rule. Tell me, what kind of king would you like to serve?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast