Thread: [WIP] Wrath of Sparta Persia Roster Mod - Thousand Nations Pack

Default [WIP] Wrath of Sparta Persia Roster Mod - Thousand Nations Pack

The Greek peace has held. Some forty years have passed since the Yaunas overthrew their satrap Mardonius, whose disgraceful defeat allowed several of their towns to unite and run rampant about the Aegean. For two decades, the vicious Yaunas ravaged the western lands and plundered Persian cities. Although with limited resources following rebellions, unrest, and assassinations in the heart of Persia, the Western satraps managed to contain Yauna raids to the islands and the Asian coast.

With their expansions halted for the moment, the Yaunas have called for peace and enjoyed their victory. Now, however, one sees the true nature of Yauna peace. Already, they sharpen their spears and polish their shields for war. Their blades seek not foreigners, though, but the throats of their own brothers and former allies. Clamoring among themselves for power, the victorious force of forty years before has all but disintegrated. They free the East from their gaze and instead thirst for blood in their own motherland.

Indeed will blood be shed in the rolling hills and winding bays of Greece. As the region falls into chaos, a storm gathers in the East. Now more than ever does the Great King Artaxerxes have the opportunity to once again conquer the Yaunas and avenge the defeat of his father before him. He calls upon vassals from each corner of the empire to gather their levies, soldiers, and guards.

And, with the rising sun on their backs and the will of the King of Kings in their hearts, they answer.

One thousand nations march as one, guided by the true King of the World. Once again will Persian arrows rain down upon the lands of Zeus and the seas of Poseidon and once again will the hooves of eastern horses flatten fields from Attica and the Peloponnese to Thracia and Macedon.

-------

Anyways, there's my dramatic introduction for a mod I'm working on that's currently called the Thousand Nations Pack. It is planned to be a full unit roster overhaul for the Persians in Wrath of Sparta along with other improvements that I hope will improve people's enjoyment of Persia in the campaign.

If you're like me, you were a bit disappointed with the lack variety in the units that the Persians brought when fighting against them and even more so when trying to play as them. It didn't feel like an army of the Persian Empire, but more like a kind of generic Eastern faction in a somewhat annoying bright orange and white. I was hoping to see units recruited from around the empire, all looking very different from one another but each having their place in the field.

Historically, the Persians probably wouldn't have had exotic troops from far away satrapies in Asia Minor unless they were planning an invasion, so this mod is meant to present a possible third Persian invasion of Greece and what it might look like rather than Persia's historical role in the Peloponnesian War.

I would say that the unit roster is mostly done, as there are only a few more units I would like to add and the rest just need balancing and visual tweaking. I will gradually post more information about the mod and the new roster as I work a bit more. I'm hoping to release a working version soon for people to play around with and give me feedback from.

I think that is all for now, so thanks and I'll leave you with a few selected screenshots from testing if you all are interested.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Default Re: [WIP] Wrath of Sparta Persia Roster Mod - Thousand Nations Pack

Now to get started with the details:

Unit Roster:

Basic Levies and starting units:

Persian Levy (Cheap spear mob)-

Persian Archers-

Baktrian Light Cavalry-

Persian Light Cavalry (Javelin Cavalry)-

To be continued when I have more time

Very nice this looks promissing... but you shoulled add more vareity to the persians in colours and tunics

I do plan on doing more detailed editing of variant meshes to get some more variety with in the units, but my main focus is getting each unit to look different from another. Also, I'm thinking that I will give satrapies their own modified uniform colors if it looks nice. Thanks for the feedback.

Getting on with some more units:

Tier One Buildings (Light satrapal units and tribal warriors):

Persian Archer Marines (Naval)-

Kilikian Javelinmen (Naval)-

Phrygian Spearmen-

Karian Warriors (Light axe/javelin troops)-

Persian Slingers-

Persian Skirmishers-

Nubian Cavalry (Quick melee cavalry with light armor)

Dahai Mounted Archers-

Arabian Camel Archers-

By the way, is there any way I can edit my posts here?

Continuing:

Tier 3 Buildings (Formal Persian Military and Specialized Satrapal Units):

Sparabara (Medium Spear)-

Takabara (Heavier Hillmen-like unit)-

Kardakes (Hybrid Skirmisher/Light Spear)-

Egyptian Marines (Naval)-

Median Riders-

Lydian Horsemen (Armored Javelin Cavalry)-

Sakai Lancers-

Libyan Charioteers (Medium Chariot)-

Zarangian Camel Raiders-

*Last post should read "Tier 2 Buildings​"

Great work keep it coming! I really like those Lydians and Egyptians! But hey, why can't I see any units using the new Persian shields from WoS, they are too cool to be left out! And don't forget mercenary hoplites!

Thanks for the input! You can expect some subtle changes in their looks before I release a version, but that is more or less what they will look like. I'm saving those cool shields for the officers and more elite units, so you can see them soon! I will probably also add a some Greek units as factional mercenaries (like hoplites) as well.

Here's to hoping I rack up enough posts so I can go back and edit my typos and maybe consolidate the units into one post.

Tier Three Buildings for Real this Time (Nobility and Heavy Satrapal Units)

Susian Nobles (Heavy Spears)-

Assyrian Infantry (Armoured Swords)-

Parthian Archers-

Phoenikian Marines (Naval)-

Kappadokian Cavalry-

Hyrkanian Cavalry (Hybrid Melee/Skirmisher Cavalry)-

Sogdian Armoured Horse (Heavy Shock Cavalry)-

Scythed Chariots-

I'd been pretty busy with work over the past couple of weeks and the last few units took me a while to make, but I'm now done with the unit roster as I had originally planned it. I will still add some units, particularly Greek factional mercenaries, but probably nothing major. The units still need a lot of testing for balance, but I will be ready to release a version for people to try out soon if there is interest. There will also be some visual tweaking and re-texturing (adding patterns here and there, some things that look like iron will turn to bronze, vice versa..).

Anyways, here are the last batch of units as there are now:

Tier Four Buildings (Royalty and Elite Units):

Immortal Spears-

Immortal Swords-

Immortal Bows-

Persian Royal Cavalry-

Armenian Heavy Cavalry-

Indian Elephants-

Uber Immortals (this guy)-

I'm not sure whether I'll actually release this unit as a part of the mod, but they're a lot of fun.

DeathtoEgo's Avatar Civis

Looking forward to seeing what else you come up with, so far this looks excellent. Good luck.

Thanks, that's great to hear. Progress has been a bit slow because I'm away on vacation, but for now I'm working on adding a unique officer for each unit.

Couple of Pics:

Persian Bow Officer

Phrygian Officer

Great units, justice to the Persians. How easy will it be to replace the vanilla units with some of these? Would you be able to release a plug-and play unit pack?

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've ran into an issue with my graphics card and I can't run Rome II anymore. I've been meaning to resolve this issue but I got caught up in some other projects. Anyways, the campaign mod as it stands now simply replaces Persia's units with my own versions. Tomorrow, I will upload this incomplete version to the workshop for people to try out. You'll need to download a separate mod to make Persia playable in the campaign.

The pack will also add all my edited units to Parthia's unit roster for custom battles.

Just know that the mod is still in an incomplete state, so the balancing is going to be way off.

After a month-long ordeal of repairing my computer's various issues, I've finally been able to restore my work and upload an incomplete version of this mod to the workshop. I will now continue to work on and regularly update the mod as well.

Downloading the mod will replace Persia's roster with my own. Here is a link to the steam workshop page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...htext=thousand

If you want to play as Persia in the campaign, you'll need a separate mod for that, like this great one by ToonTotalWar which will unlock all the Wrath of Sparta factions: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=358887330

For custom battles, all my new units have been added to Parthia's custom battle roster.