Thread: Need help with a Battle Strategy

Default Need help with a Battle Strategy

So recently I have been playing some Third age, divide and conquer, and I got to say, It has to be my favourite overhaul mod ever. There is just one thing that keeps me from coming back to it. It is nothing bad to do with the game or mod, but I just can't find a good battle strategy for a certain battle . I am playing as The Northern Dunedain, which I love, and I have established a pretty damn good empire. Largest in size, production, population and 5th in military, just to be worse than Mordor, overall. I've captured Isengard and that is where the problem starts. It is year 3019 and there has been an invasion set for Isengard and I have been foolish enough to let them pass stack by stack. Ive defeated like 3 stacks but the rest just piled up at Isengard and laid siege. I have about 3/4 of a stack at isengard and a good stack outside, while they have 2 half stacks of mordor, half stack of easterlings with their heavy pikemen, half stack of haradrim and a stack of umbar. How am I supposed to defeat them (I'm no master commander). I also have a maxed out, statwise, commander which I would hate to lose. Any good strategies, tactics, anything that would help??? Thank You

Tango12345's Avatar Never mind the manoeuvres...
    took an arrow to the knee Discontent Emeritus did you know I was admin once

Default Re: Need help with a Battle Strategy

Moved to TATW Forum.

fortune will favour your boldness... if you advance beyond them, and attract their forces away from your cities. or most of them, while you can take them out separately.

all bets are off. win or die. go out fighting.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    badge wearer

I'd camp at the town center. Get a favorable direct fire arch for your archers with fire arrows into the enemy side and break the enemy piecemeal as they flow through the gate. If you can kill the generals and get a chain rout going then you can win.

Basically while campig at the gate might seem as the best option, breaking them at the town center is often easier since they tend to get there more isolated. Also fire arrows for the morale penalty and ammunition conservation.

If you don't got archers, well then you're screwed.
    Last edited by Påsan; May 05, 2015 at 09:06 PM.

Since its Isenguard it really depends on force you have. If you have archers as Pasan said keep them out of melee and force the enemy to come in slightly seperate I personally would put one unit on each side of gate but not directly in enemy path to attack them and slow them while still allowing their troops to run towards town center. Biggest threat is trolls or barring that Easterlings have decent heavy infantry that can catch you off guard if your not careful

Sometimes I find it easier to beat large forces on an open map.
    It might work in your favour to deliberately lose the city.
    Position your two forces outside the map, and try to pick off one AI stack at a time.

If they are in range to get reinforcements use your superior troops to rush the enemy and kill most of the first army before the reinforcements arrive to help.

Also (although I don't recommend it), if you're really struggling and almost want to cheat, the auto-resolve heavily favours the attacking army in a siege if you have catapults.
    Let them take the town, whack 2-3 catapults in your full stack army, have the other nearby to reinforce and auto resolve. You'll decimate the AI, take the town, and be back on top.

If you can bare to lose the commander then I would suggest surrender. Isengard is far from your heartlands and your capital and sounds as though it is your border town. If you fear you will lose good troops and good commanders then abandon the city altogether. Then the first enemy stack to get to it will claim it, the invasion will end and the others will skip happily back to their own lands. Then you can completely obliterate the now lonely stack holding Isengard.

Be warned, as you are clearly the strongest player and because you are the player, every invasion is now likely to be on one of your cities if not Isengard over and over again. This is why the abandon policy can come in very handy.