Thread: Problem with a custom mount.

Zarathos's Avatar Miles

Default Problem with a custom mount.

Hi all! I'm having troubles finishing a custom mount I made based on vanilla elephants (it's a very different mount but it shares the same skeleton and animations basically). Everything works fine but I have 3 problems and I'm gonna describe them all hoping somebody out there can help me out.

Here is the EDU entry:

Code:
    type                    X_Type
    dictionary                X_Dict
    category                cavalry
    class                     heavy
    voice_type                Heavy
    banner faction                main_cavalry
    banner holy                crusade
    soldier                    X_Riders, 7, 2, 1
    mount                    X_Mount
    mount_effect                horse +4, camel +4, elephant -4
    attributes                hardy, can_withdraw, can_run_amok, frighten_foot, frighten_mounted, power_charge, command
    move_speed_mod                0.85
    formation                9, 13, 9, 13, 1, square
    stat_health                1, 8
    stat_pri                8, 12, militia_javelin, 60, 20, thrown, missile_mechanical, piercing, spear, 0, 1
    stat_pri_attr                ap, thrown, spear_bonus_4
    stat_sec                40, 12, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_simple, piercing, none, 100, 1
    stat_sec_attr                area, launching
    stat_pri_armour                4, 6, 0, leather
    stat_sec_armour                18, 10, flesh
    stat_heat                3
    stat_ground                4, -4, -4, 4
    stat_mental                30, impetuous, trained
    stat_charge_dist            40
    stat_fire_delay                0
    stat_food                60, 300
    stat_cost                2, 700, 250, 100, 100, 700, 4, 700
    armour_ug_levels            1
    armour_ug_models            X_Riders
    Here is the mount entry:

Code:
    type            X_Mount
    class            elephant
    model            X_Creature
    radius            3.0
    x_radius        1.3
    y_offset        0
    height            3
    mass            50.0
    banner_height        1
    bouyancy_offset        3
    water_trail_effect    elephant_water_trail
    root_node_height    2.84
    attack_delay        1
    dead_radius        2.5
    tusk_z             1.5
    tusk_radius         1
    riders             3
    rider_offset        0.05, 1.35, 1.37
    rider_offset        -0.3, 1.22, 0.4
    rider_offset        0.3, 1.22, -.35
    Here are the BMDB entries:

Code:
    10 X_Creature
    [...]
    8 Elephant
    19 fs_african_elephant 0
    -1 0 0 0 0 0 0

8 X_Riders
    [...]
    8 Elephant
    18 MTW2_Elephant_Crew 0
    23 MTW2_HR_Javelin_Primary
    16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002
    Now here are the problems I'm experiencing:

1) The javelin throwers on the top of the creature are making the musket animation and when they throw the javelins I head the sound of gun shots.

2) The creature seems to deal no damage at all. When enemy soldiers get close to it, the creature move its head like if it was attacking them but no one dies and, because of their huge armor/hp value, the battle lasts very long until all the creatures, little by little, get killed.

3) The model itself has some problems that could be related to the bounding sphere or some other parameter of the mount itself. Sometimes during a battle the creatures stop attacking enemy soldiers. They are not dead but they stand idle. If I issue a move command the creatures can move without problems but thy also become a sort of enemies magnet... I always see a small amount of soldiers (2 or 3) running very close to the creatures like if they were charging them but they never hit... they just, well, hug the legs of the creature swinging the sword in the air.
    Last edited by Zarathos; April 30, 2015 at 07:13 PM.

Medusa0's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Problem with a custom mount.

Well, I can answer the first question - you need a custom skeleton set for the elephant crews:

Put this in your descr_skeletons.txt after MTW2_Elephant_Crew.
    Code:
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

type        MTW2_Elephant_Javelin
    parent        MTW2_Javelin
    no_deltas
    anim        default                                        data/animations/MTW2_Spear/MTW2_Spear_basepose.cas

anim        er_stand_a_idle                    data/animations/elephant_cavalry/elephant_rider/HR_elephant_rider_stand_a_idle.cas            -fr    -evt:data/animations/elephant_cavalry/elephant_rider/HR_elephant_rider_stand_a_idle.evt

anim        er_stand_a_to_walk                data/animations/elephant_cavalry/elephant_rider/HR_elephant_rider_stand_a_to_walk.cas        -fr
    anim        er_stand_a_to_run                data/animations/elephant_cavalry/elephant_rider/HR_elephant_rider_stand_a_to_run.cas        -fr
    anim        er_walk_to_stand_a                data/animations/elephant_cavalry/elephant_rider/HR_elephant_rider_walk_to_stand_a.cas        -fr
    anim        er_run_to_stand_a                data/animations/elephant_cavalry/elephant_rider/HR_elephant_rider_run_to_stand_a.cas        -fr

anim        er_stand_a_hf_idle_1            data/animations/elephant_cavalry/elephant_rider/HR_elephant_rider_stand_a_hf_idle_1.cas        -fr    -evt:data/animations/elephant_cavalry/elephant_rider/HR_elephant_rider_stand_a_hf_idle_1.evt
    anim        er_stand_a_hf_idle_2            data/animations/elephant_cavalry/elephant_rider/HR_elephant_rider_stand_a_hf_idle_2.cas        -fr    -evt:data/animations/elephant_cavalry/elephant_rider/HR_elephant_rider_stand_a_hf_idle_2.evt
    anim        er_stand_a_hf_idle_3            data/animations/elephant_cavalry/elephant_rider/HR_elephant_rider_stand_a_hf_idle_3.cas        -fr    -evt:data/animations/elephant_cavalry/elephant_rider/HR_elephant_rider_stand_a_hf_idle_3.evt

anim        die_forward_1                    data/animations/elephant_cavalry/elephant_rider/HR_elephant_rider_dying.cas                    -fr    -evt:data/animations/elephant_cavalry/elephant_rider/HR_elephant_rider_dying.evt
    anim        die_backward_1                    data/animations/elephant_cavalry/elephant_rider/HR_elephant_rider_dying.cas                    -fr    -evt:data/animations/elephant_cavalry/elephant_rider/HR_elephant_rider_dying.evt

anim        taunt_1                            data/animations/elephant_cavalry/elephant_rider/HR_elephant_rider_taunt_1.cas                -fr    -evt:data/animations/elephant_cavalry/elephant_rider/HR_elephant_rider_taunt_1.evt
    anim        celebrate_1                        data/animations/elephant_cavalry/elephant_rider/HR_elephant_rider_celebrate_1.cas                -fr    -evt:data/animations/elephant_cavalry/elephant_rider/HR_elephant_rider_celebrate_1.evt
    ;anim        celebrate_2                        data/animations/elephant_cavalry/elephant_rider/HR_elephant_rider_taunt_1.cas                -fr

anim        kill_mount                        data/animations/elephant_cavalry/elephant_rider/HR_elephant_rider_kill_mount.cas            -fr    -evt:data/animations/elephant_cavalry/elephant_rider/HR_elephant_rider_kill_mount.evt

anim        pre_battle_general_gesture        data/animations/elephant_cavalry/elephant_rider/HR_elephant_rider_stand_a_idle.cas            -fr    -evt:data/animations/elephant_cavalry/elephant_rider/HR_elephant_rider_stand_a_idle.evt
    anim        pre_battle_general_finish        data/animations/elephant_cavalry/elephant_rider/HR_elephant_rider_stand_a_idle.cas            -fr        

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    And make these changes in BMDB:

Code:
    8 X_Riders
    [...]
    8 Elephant
     21 MTW2_Elephant_Javelin 0
     20 MTW2_Javelin_primary
    16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002
    Since the default elephant crew animations were based on the infantry arquebus skeleton, they will behave in that fashion, including using the sounds associated with each animation sequences. This is for individual soldiers, however, to get the correct sounds for the unit, you will need to add X_Type to your descr_sounds_units_fire.txt under the horse javelins, naffatun section.

Code:
    type Polish Nobles, Stradiots, Albanian Cavalry, Jinetes, Boyar Sons, Desert Cavalry, Granadine Jinetes, X_Type
    You will need to regenerate the associated animation and sound .dat and .idx files for these changes to occur.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Medusa0; May 02, 2015 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Spacings seem to a bit odd in the BMDB section, better not copy it straight.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Your two tusk values in descr_mount are lower then in vanilla - try the vanilla values (double of yours) and see what happens. I suspect that with your values the (virtual) tusk tip is actually within the body:
    Code:
    ;    tusk_z                    distance along the z axis of tusks from centre
    ;    tusk_radius                radius of tusk attack

Zarathos's Avatar Miles

Ok so... I fixed the problem concerning the javelin animation. Now this works properly.
    Now I'm still experiencing the problem of the mount itself not behaving correctly. Adjusting tusk values reduced this but sometimes the mount still bugs off in campaign map. They start, they approach the enemies and they throw a volley of javelins... they they get charged by cavalry/infantry and they start moving their heads and smashing them like good elephants should do. But when I try to move them back so that they can throw another volley (kind of skirmish) here comes the drama: some enemy units are stuck against their bodies running like crazy and the creatures don't charge anymore. It's like if they think that javelins can be thrown so they don't switch to melee... javelins are not being fired and the loop keeps the whole unit stuck idling until it's killed.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

I vaguely recall there being a problem with elephants as skirmish\missile cavalry because of this.